PDA

View Full Version : Short buy in on 1/2 NL

PotatoStew
12-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Just wanted to get opinions on this from some more experienced NL players: I'll be in Atlantic City next week, and wanted to play some no limit. I believe the lowest game they have is 1/2 with a $60 min and $300 max buy in. I have less experience at NL than at limit, and my bankroll isn't super huge, so I was planning on buying in for about $100. I can stand to lose that without getting too upset about it. Is it worthwhile to buy in for that low, with that sort of blind structure, and with whatever the typical NL table texture may be in AC? Or should I not even bother taking a shot at it if I can't buy in for closer to the max? Thanks.

PotatoStew
12-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Oops... Just noticed that a "short buy in" thread got bumped right above my brand new one... missed that. Maybe I should read it. Apologies in advance if that thread answers my question. (Though mine is specific to games in AC... don't know if that makes a difference)

spadeclub99
12-16-2004, 01:05 PM
I would not by in for less than $200 and preferably the max with at least 2 buy-ins. You will find that PF raises in these games will be from $12 to $20 (6X to 10X the BB) so playing on a $100 stack is hard as you have limited odds in raised pots. A larger stack lets you play in these raised pots which in many cases (very player specific) are raised by very LAG players with weak hands. Games are soft but volatility could be high if there are maniacs in your game who have no idea how to play. You want enough money to play with and bust these people.

amoeba
12-16-2004, 01:52 PM
it depends on what you want to do. If you feel that your strength is in post flop play, definitely buy in at least 200.

If you feel that your shortstack status will entice people to call. you can try playing uber tight ( VPIP 10 or so). open push/limp reraise all in preflop with big hands.

PotatoStew
12-16-2004, 02:40 PM
So if I do buy in to a 1/2 NL game with $100, uber-tight would be the way to go? And trying to get all in PF with those big hands? What if it's pretty passive, not much PF raising... can I loosen up a bit then?

I'm not sure that my post flop play is all that strong in NL. I have my good moments and my very bad moments.

amoeba
12-16-2004, 02:59 PM
The thing with shallow stacks is that you can't afford to make a mistake postflop and you often don't have the implied odds to play drawing hands preflop, so often you end up being much tighter than you like to be.

if the table is very loose passive. 5+ limps preflop, no raise, you can play your drawing hands a bit in late position(67 to tj, Axs, small to mid pp). I mean while $100 is short relative to the max buyin, its still not nothing. Its party sized stack.

Perhaps when I said uber tight, I misphrased a bit. What I really mean is you don't have implied odds to play most hands. But with your big hands (AA, KK, QQ ) , you are really looking to get it in preflop. Also, a wild and crazy open push with AA might look like a gimick or a short stack desperation move.