PDA

View Full Version : Total fish play or resteal might work?

betgo
12-16-2004, 11:19 AM
$10 Party SNG, level 3 (15/30). 5 limpers to me. I raise to 150 with AJo on the button. Get one caller. 480 in the pot, I have 450 left, opponent has 670. Flop comes jack high, opponent pushes. Opponent has K5o. I more than double up.

Was my opponent's play that bad? If I had totally missed, he might have gotten me to fold.

He probably thought I was on a total steal. I didn't mind winning the hand preflop, but I expected to be called by loose passive players like that. I figured I had a good shot with probably the best hand preflop, position, and intimidation of being the preflop raiser.

captZEEbo1
12-16-2004, 11:32 AM
bad play by your opponent (you just invested 1/3 of your remaining stack, and decent chance $10 opponents call this on A hi, as last desperation attempt to double up by hitting their A). If you raised less preflop, you wouldn't be so committed to the pot.

jcm4ccc
12-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Isn't this a Stop and Go? Your opponent called your raise preflop--he was the first to bet on the flop and put you all-in. The majority of the time you don't hit your flop and fold and your opponent almost doubles his chip count.

It was a risky play for your opponent, and he probably didn't need to take that risk early in the tournament. So maybe in that way it was a bad play.

dtbog
12-16-2004, 12:03 PM
I don't think he can put you on a steal when there are five limpers in the pot. He probably did what most $10+1 players do when someone raises big before the flop -- put him on whichever of AK/AQ/AJ misses the flop, and vow to bet him out. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-DB

jedi
12-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Does anyone else just limp in with AJo in this situation? It's like you're nearly pot committing yourself with that raise in the beginning.

Don't know what the hell the other guy was thinking. Surely there are better spots than this one to stop-n-go.

syka16
12-16-2004, 03:02 PM
limp AJs with a good stack. Putting 1/3 of your stack with a marginal hand this early is a bad move. You have plenty of time to wait for a premium hand.

I figure that if someone raises 1/3 stack, he's got a pretty good hand and willing to risk the rest. He made a horrible preflop call and bluffed in a questionable spot.

betgo
12-16-2004, 10:32 PM
Raising with AJ was definately correct here. I could have made a smaller raise that wouldn't have knocked out as many people. I thought it was better with this kind of hand to try to win the hand preflop or get it 2 or 3 handed. I am committing a lot of chips and I may need to fold on the flop, depending on the board and the action, but the odds are in my favor.

Those limpers probably don't have as good a hand as AJ or they would have raised. I think it is correct to build the pot and try to win the pot with the best hand and position. You need to exploit an advantage.

Big Limpin'
12-16-2004, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$10 Party SNG, level 3 (15/30). 5 limpers to me. I raise to 150 with AJo on the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not the optimal play. I see some posts disagree. Go back to SnG 101. Remidial.

[ QUOTE ]
Get one caller. 480 in the pot, I have 450 left, opponent has 670. Flop comes jack high, opponent pushes. Opponent has K5o. I more than double up.

Was my opponent's play that bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh God yes.

[ QUOTE ]
If I had totally missed, he might have gotten me to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh.

You played the hand just fine, congratulaions on the win, hope you took them to town on future hands.