PDA

View Full Version : Improving computer performance

krishanleong
12-16-2004, 09:41 AM
So when running tracker and importing hands every 5 minutes, everything slows to a crawl. I have a 2.4 processor with 512 RAM. Will getting another 512 stick or 1 gig stick from crucial make a difference? I remember someone game a measure of whether more memory helps based on some task manager statistics. Anyone know how to do that offhand? Thanks for the help,

Krishan

RollaJ
12-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Run a virus scan
Run Adaware

With those specs you should not be lagging

BradleyT
12-16-2004, 10:31 AM
More RAM will help you in every aspect of computing.

krishanleong
12-16-2004, 10:54 AM
I use both ad-aware, spybot, norton, and e-trust. I'll run them tonight but I should be okay on that count. Thanks for the suggestions,

Krishan

mikeyp
12-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Not necessarily. Some versions of Windows have a memory ceiling. In other words, even though you may have 1 gig of ram, with some versions of Windows it will still only use 512mb of it.

krishanleong
12-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Brand new machine running XP Home. But I only have 512 right now.

crockett
12-16-2004, 11:02 AM
I agree, I was running XP w/ 128 Mb ram (very low) and I could four table and auto-import my hands with little problems. I could tell when an import was going on but I was still able to play at the tables. I was importing every 3 minutes.

I then tryed to add GT+ and found out that if I put GT+ on more than 2 tables, she blow up. So I upped my memory to 512Mb and now I'm playing 4 tables, auto-importing every 3 mintues, and running GT+ on all four tables with only one little issue. When I go to add a new table to GT+ it really bogs things down. I believe it is because it has to pull up the entire PT database to look for all tables. It would be nice if there was an option to just look for the tables you've been at for the last hour/day or so.

Anyways, I think you may have a system problem. But of course more memory will always help.

aslowjoe
12-16-2004, 11:17 AM
If you are playing on a Crypto site there is nothing wrong with your computer. You just have to live with it for now. If it is Party something does seem FISHY.

chrisdhal
12-16-2004, 11:58 AM
This does not apply to XP, it will gladly use as much as you have. More memory should help and it is very cheap.

TylerD
12-16-2004, 12:10 PM
More memory will help, but with those specs I don't think its going to be a memory issue. More likely to be spyware or a configuration problem.

BradleyT
12-16-2004, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not necessarily. Some versions of Windows have a memory ceiling. In other words, even though you may have 1 gig of ram, with some versions of Windows it will still only use 512mb of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please show me P2.4's that come with a fresh copy of Windows 98 installed.

lorinda
12-16-2004, 01:10 PM
I always find running the tests at PCPitstop.com is one of the best first places to go.

It eliminates a lot of the possibilities before you even start.

Lori

moondogg
12-16-2004, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are playing on a Crypto site there is nothing wrong with your computer. You just have to live with it for now. If it is Party something does seem FISHY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Beyond being a normal resource hog, Crypto's software has resource leaks that irrationaly consume your whole processor if you piss it off. I've found it helps to keep your PT database lean to give Crypto a wide berth.

SamJack
12-16-2004, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Beyond being a normal resource hog, Crypto's software has resource leaks that irrationaly consume your whole processor if you piss it off. I've found it helps to keep your PT database lean to give Crypto a wide berth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, when importing Crypto hands, pokertracker eats up a lot of processing power. I typically, import after I'm done playing rather that having it auto-import for this reason.

SamJack

Terry
12-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Close the "Ring Game Player Statistics" window.

moondogg
12-16-2004, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, when importing Crypto hands, pokertracker eats up a lot of processing power. I typically, import after I'm done playing rather that having it auto-import for this reason.

SamJack

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally do the same thing, as it's seem to have gotten progressively worse over the last few months.

However, I tried with brand new PT database last night, and had no problems importing crypto hands from 4 tables every 5 minutes. Once a PT database gets big enough it's just too much to run alongside Crypto.

CORed
12-16-2004, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I use both ad-aware, spybot, norton, and e-trust. I'll run them tonight but I should be okay on that count. Thanks for the suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have all four continuously running in the background? If so, that could be part of the problem.

mmbt0ne
12-16-2004, 03:22 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Close the "Ring Game Player Statistics" window.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, yeah. It took me about 2 weeks to figues this one out. I have a 1.4 GHz, 256 RAM machine with XP home, and it doesn't lag at all with 3 tables and PT.