PDA

View Full Version : dividends from seeming like a moron

spentrent
12-16-2004, 08:05 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t1895)
UTG (t700)
UTG+1 (t1025)
MP1 (t1405)
MP2 (t925)
CO (t985)
Button (t990)
Hero (t2075)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t15, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t60) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t15</font>, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t30</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t90</font>, MP2 calls t75, Hero calls t60.

Turn: (t330) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t125</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1970 (All-In)</font>, UTG calls t470 (All-In).

River: (t2895) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2895

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has 6d Ad (two pair, aces and sixes).
Hero has Ts 8c (straight, ten high).
Outcome: Hero wins t2895. </font>

A single admittedly ASININE play early in the game paid dividends throughout. I was able to overbet the pot x2 and x3 for VALUE on the river and get calls.

Normally, I play (what I consider) quite tightly, seeing maybe 16% to 17% of flops. But this shows how you can get the most bang for your buck if you have a completely moronic table image.

El Maximo
12-16-2004, 08:47 AM
I always seem to pay dividends by playing like a moron.

nuclear500
12-16-2004, 10:13 AM
So you gave yourself a crazy LAG image and caught some cards. The rest of the table didn't catch on and tighten up or reraise properly.

I raised preflop 4xBB with 24o and got one caller and flopped 24A and check raised the guy all in. It happens.

Its not a good play to think it will work magic consistently though.

jcm4ccc
12-16-2004, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Normally, I play (what I consider) quite tightly, seeing maybe 16% to 17% of flops. But this shows how you can get the most bang for your buck if you have a completely moronic table image.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your min-raise on the flop. Was that part of your "tight" table image, or part of your "moronic" table image?

Cleveland Guy
12-16-2004, 10:38 AM
I got to this in a SnG last night.

I had a very modest suited connector, like 67 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

I was on the button, and made a position limp. I think after the SB and BB limped we were 6 to the flop (8 handed total). Blinds were 25/50 - and I had about 2100

Flop came with 2 high hearts - and a straight draw. Like JQT. Checked around- I took my free card.

Turn was a K - no heart. SB leads out for 100, 1 call, and I can call to close action.

River- was the A of hearts. Putting a straight on the board, but giving me a flush.

SB Leads out for 200. Gets his call - then I raise it 500.

Both call - figuring i am raising the straight on the table.

The SB couldn't believe I stayed in with what I had - I'll admit it was a loose call, but with postion and the min betting I felt the implied odds were there.

I played tight the rest of the way and easily finishe ITM.

THE SB also went on tilt and busted out like 4 hands later.

spentrent
12-16-2004, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So your min-raise on the flop. Was that part of your "tight" table image, or part of your "moronic" table image?

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your opinion? It costs me less than 2% of my stack to represent a flush draw here.

betgo
12-16-2004, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your opinion? It costs me less than 2% of my stack to represent a flush draw here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how the miniraise on the flop represents a flush draw. It seems to just represent a moron.

It seems to me you want to see the turn as cheaply as possible with an inside straight draw with a 2-flush on the board. You only have 3 decent outs. When it got reraised to 90, you probabably should have folded.

betgo
12-16-2004, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you successfully represent a flush draw, what are you going to do if a 3-flush hits? All you can do is make a stab at the pot. You know someone might really have a flush.

spentrent
12-16-2004, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even if you successfully represent a flush draw, what are you going to do if a 3-flush hits? All you can do is make a stab at the pot. You know someone might really have a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

It just seems like the amounts we're dealing with on this flop are tiny compared to my stack size. Why not take a risk when it costs so little? This play had tremendous implied odds.

jcm4ccc
12-16-2004, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It just seems like the amounts we're dealing with on this flop are tiny compared to my stack size. Why not take a risk when it costs so little? This play had tremendous implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you do that, you certainly can't call yourself a "tight" player.

You have two outs to make your gutshot straight. I'm discounting the 9 of clubs since that would put three clubs on the board, and you have an opponent who seems to be working on a draw (MP2). The odds against making one of your two outs on the turn is 1:23.

On the flop, the first bet you have to call is 15. The pot is 90 at that point. So the pot odds are 1:6. Definitely not enough to call with 1:23 odds. And the implied odds are not much, because the betting has been so weak to this point. You should assume that everybody would fold to a decent sized bet.

The second bet you have to call on the flop is 60. The pot is 270. The pot odds are about 1:4.5 Still not enough to call. For your call to be correct, you would need to make over 1400 chips when you hit your straight. The implied odds are definitely not that big.

[ QUOTE ]
Why not take a risk when it costs so little?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the kind of thinking that increases your opponent's ROI.