PDA

View Full Version : stupid bluff early?

spentrent
12-16-2004, 07:54 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 (t1000)
MP2 (t940)
MP3 (t925)
CO (t1025)
Button (t1140)
SB (t970)
BB (t1000)
UTG (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1000)
Hero (t1000)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t45</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls t45, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls t35, BB calls t30.

Flop: (t180) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, MP3 folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t240</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t955 (All-In)</font>, BB calls t715 (All-In).

Turn: (t2090) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t2090) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2090

The caller had two pair (EDIT: He had A7d). Wouldn't you consider folding two pair to an all-in reraise? Or is it so early in the tourney that you expect morons like our lovable hero to die with TPTK?

Merlyn22
12-16-2004, 08:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 (t1000)
MP2 (t940)
MP3 (t925)
CO (t1025)
Button (t1140)
SB (t970)
BB (t1000)
UTG (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1000)
Hero (t1000)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t45</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls t45, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls t35, BB calls t30.

Flop: (t180) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, MP3 folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t240</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t955 (All-In)</font>, BB calls t715 (All-In).

Turn: (t2090) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t2090) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2090

The caller had two pair (EDIT: He had A7d). Wouldn't you consider folding two pair to an all-in reraise? Or is it so early in the tourney that you expect morons like our lovable hero to die with TPTK?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think both players, the Hero and the BB made poor pre-flop decisions. Hero - raising with 45o in early position early in the tournament makes no sense to me. I think it falls under "Caro's Law of Loose Wiring." On the flop, the BB played it well I think. He got a monster flop. He flopped two pair with his crappy Ax suited hand and he probably puts the original pre-flop raiser on a big ace when he comes out firing. I don't like any of Hero's play in this hand - Especially going all in after being check-raised. I usually don't do very much bluffing at the beginning of a tournament because there's still so many suckers playing hands way too far. I hope your question at the end was a joke. If you think someone who flopped top two pair in a raised pot is going anywhere this early in a tournament, you're crazy. I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing Hero, the player; I just think this particular play was very bad. This is the kind of play that is likely to make that guy on the BB smash is hand through his computer screen.

jcm4ccc
12-16-2004, 10:14 AM
I think it's funny that you think the BB made a bad play by refusing to fall for your bluff.

You bluffed:

a)with nothing
b)out of position
c)in a ten-handed game
d)with the blinds at 10/15

Not a good idea.

That wasn't the worst of it. You should have gave up your bluff when the BB reraised you on the flop. The fact that you hit your gutshot just shows that there is no justice in poker.

Unarmed
12-16-2004, 10:15 AM
What are you doing???
I can understand representing a big pair at a $215, but even there you'd have to have played with someone enough that they viewed you as uber-tight and capable of this raise with only AA/KK/KK Also, if you MUST do this wait for SC. But really, fancy play like this is so not necessary.

You represent a big pair with SC when your premium hands aren't getting enough action. This is simply not a problem in 99% of online games.

And the flop? Man, say you have the nuts, and want to get all the money in on the flop. What line do you take after he raises you? I take the exact same one you did, because these jokers pot commit themselves the second they click the raise button. That of course means, that raising all-in is entirely incorrect when you're bluffing.

You tried to FP this and got caught. Just fold and never do it again. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

spentrent
12-16-2004, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just fold and never do it again. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a good idea.

captZEEbo1
12-16-2004, 11:20 AM
terrible bluff (first bet is okay, considering you were the pf raiser, although as people said, that bluff was horrendous and pointless). I'm definitely not folding A7 here (though I definitely am folding it preflop, but if I somehow got suckered in the pot, I'm in). Most likely hand you're holding is AK or AQ, in which case A7 is a monster favorite. I doubt ANYONE would EVER fold A7 in this situation, or even A2 for that matter (or even 72 for that matter /images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

tigerite
12-16-2004, 03:34 PM
You played it like a fish from preflop on. That's putting it kindly.

jojobinks
12-16-2004, 03:41 PM
my favorite part of the OP is the question mark at the end of the subject line. as if the point of this discussion is to find out, was it a stupid bluff? i think we've reached consent that this play was stupid, ill-conceived, ill-timed, and without hope. luckily, results work themselves out in the long (long, long, long) term.

this is why i rarely play a hand at the first and second levels.

t_petrosian
12-16-2004, 03:48 PM
This reminds me of a post from a few months ago when somebody posted hands he played when he was really drunk. Somebody mentioned that this is the kind of hand where A7 puts his fist through the computer. He is absolutely right.

Your bluff was terrible, period. Did you realize that he check-raised you? It wasn't just a raise...it was a check-raise. You need to learn when you're beat.

If you were drunk, that is an acceptable excuse. Hopefully you managed to take advantage of the terrible image you just created on this hand for the remainder of this SNG...tighten up and play quality cards and you'll probably get everybody within a 4-county area to play with you....