PDA

View Full Version : Should I Join A Frat?

Tron
12-16-2004, 06:54 AM
Who better to come to for semi-significant decisions than the inhabitants of OOT? Anyway, here at USC, the social scene is pretty much dominated by the frats. I'm tired of sitting around in the dorms on the weekends knowing that there are parties featuring lots of booze and lots of fine women just blocks away, but I can't get into them. But, on the other hand, if I were to join a frat, I would be... In a frat. And that's gay.

PoBoy321
12-16-2004, 07:15 AM
I don't know what the situation is like at USC, but honestly, I say go for it. Where I am, we don't have frats so all the parties are just people having a couple of kegs in their apartments, so I can't really speak from experience. Granted, being a frat guy is kinda gay, but so is sitting in your dorm on the weekends and getting no pussy.

rusty JEDI
12-16-2004, 07:19 AM
How much will you have to pay per semester for these friends you are buying?

rJ

Tron
12-16-2004, 07:20 AM
Very well put.

I think the plan for now is to go to pre-rush and rush and do a whole lot of boozing, then see how things go from there.

Tron
12-16-2004, 07:26 AM
Zing! Man, I forgot about that, I have no idea how much the fees or dues or whatever are, that will definitely come into consideration.

Sponger15SB
12-16-2004, 07:29 AM
well, i think frats are freaking lame as hell. but since you go to USC, you pretty much gotta join a frat.

AngryCola
12-16-2004, 08:03 AM
I almost joined a frat, but then I realized all I would be doing is paying for the friendship of some people that I didn't even really want to be friends with.

I went to a few of the events, and was not a fan. I could have easily gotten in, but I just walked away.

Good thing too... Now I realize it would have been a big mistake for me.

beerbandit
12-16-2004, 10:07 AM
i went to a small college -- so im sure that there is a huge difference

i pledged my freshman year and dont regret it for one second -- im not sure what the pledging time and guidelines are for usc

the guys i met and lived with are my best friends now
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/901796/thehouse.jpg

this is my house

do it because you want to though, i want satisfy you nearly as much if you do not have a good time -- you might not know any of the guys but you get the feeling, not sure -- \

also quitting isnt very good also

good luck in the bowl game --

cheers
beer

Toro
12-16-2004, 10:48 AM
The social scene at the college I went to was also dominated by fraternities, so being the thing to do, I joined one and have never regretted it.

My closest life long friends of over 30 years are from that fraternity. However, it is important to join the right one. Take the rush seriously and pick one where you have a lot in common.

Also, once in, be careful about the distractions. There's always someone around that wants to fcuk off. It's very tempting sometimes to blow off studying when others around you are having a good time.

CCass
12-16-2004, 11:29 AM
I joined a frat my freshman year, and never regretted it. Go for it.

Cornell Fiji
12-16-2004, 11:32 AM
You absolutely should join a fraternity (Specifically, Fiji if they have one at USC - just kidding, find the one that is right for you.)

At Cornell the party scene is completely dominated by the fraternities, I have to admit that it is nice to have the party just 3 floors below the bedroom, a lot of advantages there.

The reason that I joined a fraternity however aren't even close to the reasons that I am so happy to be in one. I joined a fraternity because of (1) Parties, (1 a) Girls who like the parties, (2) Great place to live -- we have a huge house.

However, those reasons are so minor as to why I am glad that I chose to join Fiji. The guys in my fraternity are my closest friends who literally would do anything for me and that I would do anything for. I have some crazy stories about brothers going above and beyond for each other and not thinking twice about it.

There is a special bond between myself and my fraternity brothers, it comes from living together and being together so much - these guys know me better than my family does and they truely look out for me and I for them like we are a family.

At Cornell we have 44 fraternities that are quite diverse. It really is possible for everyone to find a house that is right for them, a house that is made up of guys that they respect and want to become brothers with. I would highly suggest that when you rush, that you stop by many houses and really try to find the house that is right for you.

You said: "But, on the other hand, if I were to join a frat, I would be... In a frat. And that's gay." Fraternities do have a lot of negative stereotypes that are associated with them (many of which are true) but it is important to realize that every fraternity is different, don't decide not to join a house because you have a negative oppinion of Greeks in general.

I would also suggest that when you rush, you rush with your friends (it is great to pledge with your friends) but also make sure that you don't make a pact to all join the same house. If one house suits you and another one suits your friend it would be stupid to not join the house that you should be in.

As for the reply about buying your friends -- You sir, are an idiot. Yes, there are dues for a fraternity, they pay for housing and parties, if you were to live in an appartment you would pay for housing and parties that you throw but the house wouldn't be as nice and the parties wouldn't be as good.

My father was in a fraternity back when he was in college and he is still close with 10 or so of his brothers (and their wives and children) today and I expect that the bonds that I have with my fraternity brothers will also not be for college days alone.

Join a house, you will be so happy that you did.

-Steve

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 11:41 AM
I voted no, but I really have nothing against them. I have several friends that joined fraternities, and some of their frat brothers were total fa[/b]gs and some were cool as hell.

If you want to do it, then do it.

Rick Diesel
12-16-2004, 12:01 PM
I voted yes, for a couple of reasons.

(1) It will be easier to get chicks
(2) I did NOT join a frat in college, as I thought they were gay. My younger brother did join one at the same school, and he loved it. He invited me to a few of the events, and I always had a really good time. His frat brothers treated me like a brother, so that was cool. I noticed that everyone that joins a fraternity likes it. I also notice that everyone that didn't join (In other words, has no relative experience to compare to) thinks they are gay. What does this tell you?

I would definitely go for it.

Rick Diesel

sthief09
12-16-2004, 12:05 PM
definitely do it

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also notice that everyone that didn't join (In other words, has no relative experience to compare to) thinks they are gay. What does this tell you?

[/ QUOTE ] Part of it is the attitide frat brothers give to non-members. My buddies frat was like this at times. I would go over to his house and hang out with him, and some of his frat brothers wouldn't even want to talk to me, they basically gave me a "wtf are you doing here" type of attitude, but some of his other brothers from his pledge class were all cool as hell, really nice guys that like to party. One thing I def noticed about fraternities though, they seem to make some of their members very introverted. Some of them know very few people outside of their house, which is quiet odd. I hope I am not generalizing here, because I have meet some really cool people that were in frats, but I have also meet some real pricks as well.

Paluka
12-16-2004, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At Cornell we have 44 fraternities that are quite diverse. It really is possible for everyone to find a house that is right for them, a house that is made up of guys that they respect and want to become brothers with. I would highly suggest that when you rush, that you stop by many houses and really try to find the house that is right for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to Cornell here, but admittedly had very little interest in parties. I don't think frats are inherently bad, but a lot of douchebags and idiots are drawn to the Greek scene. For every frat guy I knew at Cornell who was a cool guy, there were 10 douchebags. I didn't have any problems meeting girls, making friends or finding stuff to do. A lot of people also expressed to me that they felt the greek scene was really geared towards rich kids, and some of my friends who weren't from well-off families felt uncomfortable because of this sometimes. Overall, I think that the diversity of Cornell that CornellFiji refers to is what makes joining a frat so unnecessary.
I just wanted to say that Fiji did indeed seem unlike most of the fraternities. It did not seem like a haven for rich douchebags, it just seemed like a bunch of normal dudes who liked to hang out and meet chicks.
Overall, I'd say every school is different. But if Cornell's scene is anything like other schools I would say that joining a fraternity is pretty pointless.

M2d
12-16-2004, 12:56 PM
dude, you go to a school that has liquor stores that deliver near it. you don't need a frat to party.

M2d
12-16-2004, 01:00 PM
I went to a small school that was dominated by frats, but didn't join one. Instead, I was on the baseball team and just went to the parties at the houses that my teammates belonged to. same chicks. same booze. no clean up. same lifelong friends.
In the end, you're going to be friends with whomever you get along with.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-16-2004, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My father was in a fraternity back when he was in college and he is still close with 10 or so of his brothers (and their wives and children) today and I expect that the bonds that I have with my fraternity brothers will also not be for college days alone.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a trait of someone who went to college, not just a frat. EVERYBODY makes their best friends at college and there are plenty of hot chicks outside the frat parties and you can usually at least respect them. Make your friends without buying into them.

Frat = lame

razor
12-16-2004, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I noticed that everyone that joins a fraternity likes it. I also notice that everyone that didn't join (In other words, has no relative experience to compare to) thinks they are gay. What does this tell you?

[/ QUOTE ]

That everyone who joins a frat is gay? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jasonHoldEm
12-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Yes, and it's not close. People get distracted by the partying element of fraternities and totally forget about the friendship and brotherhood element, which I think is the most important part. After college being in a fraternity will open up a lot of doors for you if you properly use some alumni contacts and the friends you make while in college will always be there for you (and you likewise for them).

Chooose your house wisely, and don't necessarily go with the most popular frat on campus. Find one that fits well with your personality, maybe one with several upperclassmen in your major, etc. If you find one that is a good fit the dues and other crap won't matter it will be worth it.

Peace,
J

billyjex
12-16-2004, 02:48 PM
I would just like to say, yes, join a frat.

Frat guys are normal dudes. It's something to do, it's a common bond. You're not paying for "friends."

I joined a frat because, well, my two good friends in the dorms were and I wouldn't have anyone to hang out with if I didn't. But I've been in one for three years and I don't regret it. Just find the right frat for you.

I probably wouldn't be playing poker if not for my fraternity, either.

BTW, is anyone here a Sigma Chi?

Alobar
12-16-2004, 02:56 PM
First step, is if you are going to join, you cant ever refer to it as a "frat" its alweays "fraternity". Its easy to pick up on who is in one and who isnt, just by they way they say it.

Anyway, you are going to get ALOT of extremely negative responses to this question I imagine (havent read the responses yet). On paper fraternitys are extremely gay. You are basically paying for friends just so you can get good and shitty all the time. However if that is your thing, then it will be alot of fun. Its also a good way to network and to meet girls.

Basically, if you dont have many friends now, or dont get invited to many parties, or dont meet many girls. And this si something you really want to do, then go for it. If youve already got friends and go to parties and meet girls, why bother?

mmbt0ne
12-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Frats are really hit or miss. I have 2 very close friends who are in them. One guy hates his, and another guy doesn't really involve himself very much, so he's kind of neutral on the idea. There are a lot of houses on campus here that have cool brothers, but it was never really my thing.

I think the fact that 52 people from my graduating class went to GT with me makes it a lot easier when it comes to the social aspect though. We throw a lot of parties at houses around campus that bring in way more people than the frat parties, so that's not an issue for me. I think if I went to school far away from where I grew up, I would probably have been a lot more open to the idea of joining one. A lot of the people I've met in classes who are Greek are really cool, but there are the douchebags, and I think people focus on them a little too much.

If you join a frat, you're going to alienate some close-minded non-frat people, have to pay some dues, meet some pretty cool people and a few assholes who you're going to have to pretend to like, and get way more ass than you think. That's pretty much what it comes down to.

Matt Flynn
12-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Only a young college kid would ever have any confusion over that question. Are you completely nuts? Been sucking on a bong every day for a few years? What is your malfunction soldier?

J.O.I.N. And btw remember your dues include housing and meals, so subtract your dorm costs from that. Plus the savings on bulk cereal and beer alone are huge.

Matt

oddjob
12-16-2004, 03:30 PM
the school i went to had the 2nd largest fraternal system in the country at the time. i was not one of them. i did not need them to party and have a good time. most of the frat boys i knew were spoiled aholes, that thought because they were paying for school, the school should let them slide by and do all they could to make sure they got jobs after they graduated... all this while doing the least bit of work. of course this is generally speaking, and it seemed my major had an abundance of these types of fraternity types.

as a whole, the fraternities just seemed disrespectful, and contributed very little to the community.

i believe in making it your own way, but that's me. i also believe in making friends with people you really identify with. i was also into punk rock and skateboarded, and was called a faggot quite frequently by frat boys. this was about 10 years ago when these things were still considered uncool.

i knew some people who joined fraternities and regretted it. they hated having people tell them what to do. paying for stuff they weren't fully into. having to live like a pig in a house with other slobs. committing to doing things they didn't really want to do.

my first year i went to a few parties, and was mostly disgusted by what i saw. example, one of the pledges so drunk they collapsed in front of me. i tried to help him up but his "brothers" pushed me away, and tried to force more liquor down his throat. i also feared for any girls there that were intoxicated. you can come to your own conclusions about this.

on another note, i was a nobody and was able to get into parties pretty easy. all you need to do is to know someone in a frat, and they can most likely get you into the partys.

as you can see my experiences with them were not so good, but i just thought i'd throw in an extreme point of view before you make a decision.

nolanfan34
12-16-2004, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Only a young college kid would ever have any confusion over that question. Are you completely nuts? Been sucking on a bong every day for a few years? What is your malfunction soldier?

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like a true frat boy. This is asinine, I have no problem with people encouraging the OP to join a fraternity, but to imply that he's an idiot for considering otherwise really pisses me off.

To throw my 2 cents in - like others have said the experience is what you want to make of it, and what you hope to get out of it. I went to a school with a large greek system, but chose not to join a fraternity, because I didn't drink when I first went to college, and I didn't want to get a bunch of crap about that.

Throughout college though I did have friends in fraternities, and don't have anything against them at all. There are certainly benefits that other people have already mentioned. I just liked off campus living better.

oddjob
12-16-2004, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would just like to say, yes, join a frat.

Frat guys are normal dudes. It's something to do, it's a common bond. You're not paying for "friends."

I joined a frat because, well, my two good friends in the dorms were and I wouldn't have anyone to hang out with if I didn't. But I've been in one for three years and I don't regret it. Just find the right frat for you.

I probably wouldn't be playing poker if not for my fraternity, either.

BTW, is anyone here a Sigma Chi?

[/ QUOTE ]

i find it funny that you say you're not paying for "friends"

then imply cause your 2 friends joined a frat that you wouldn't be able to hang out with them if you didn't.

i don't mean anything by this, just doesn't add up in my head.

Rushmore
12-16-2004, 03:43 PM
Didn't read any of the other posts, but I think you SHOULD join a frat, so that I can move you from the "uncertain" column over into the "hated" column, along with 95% of the rest of humanity.

oddjob
12-16-2004, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't read any of the other posts, but I think you SHOULD join a frat, so that I can move you from the "uncertain" column over into the "hated" column, along with 95% of the rest of humanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

you give people too much credit. i'd put it around 98%

Matt Flynn
12-16-2004, 04:08 PM
most of that was tongue in cheek.

not greek here. no frats at college. however, had my school had them i would have joined. college should be about having a lot of fun, and if you do not object to it, having lots of sex. it's what college is for. if being in a frat would reduce your fun, then it's not for you. the downsides of slob roommates and a heavy drinking culture do have to be considered. and there is no excuse for forcing lots of alcohol on a vulnerable freshman.

matt

beerbandit
12-16-2004, 04:15 PM
i read most of the post and agree with a lot that is being said

-joing a fraternity is not buying your friends -- the dues that are paid (atleast in my case) went towards the expenses of the house -- utilities, house cleaning supplies, house maintenance/repairs. also members are allowed to live in the house, they pay rent, which is less than living at the dorms and includes their dues.

i have so many unforgetable expiriences from living in the house for four years. i have made so many life long friends and the networking from alumni is unbelievable, ive had offers for jobs to go live in colorado and work - because im a "brother".

these houses are not always just places to party and bang chicks, which does happend and is pretty sweet. we ran or participated in community service events throughout the year -- the events were almost always successful.

picking the right house is very important -- each one is going to have a different atmosphere and be diverse in its own way. its up to you to choose which enviroment you feel that you feel the most comfortable in.

i doubt you will talk to many people that would regret pledging a greek house. but it is not for everybody -- its not about fitting in, some aspects are difficult to explain but the exxpirience is unreal and cannot be compared to anything else

good luck -- not sure how pledging is there but have fun and enjoy it

cheers
beer

beerbandit
12-16-2004, 04:16 PM
im a lesbian

PhatTBoll
12-16-2004, 04:44 PM
I was also in a frat at Cornell (not Fiji, although it is a fine house). I loved it and generally recommend it.

The problem is that most houses are, indeed, mainly populated with complete tools. If you are really interested in joining a house, your task is to find one of the few that aren't.

Toro and Cornell Fiji have given some really good advice in this thread. A frat can be great; you can make some quality friendships that last for life, and you can get wasted, get laid, and have a hell of a time. You might also hate it with a passion because it's not the right place for you.

My advice is to try to pick out a couple houses and try to hang out with the brothers a few times. Don't be a tool and make your decision based on rush events. Every house does neat things for rush, and all the brothers will kiss your ass during rush week. It's just the way of things.

If you hang out with them in their normal environment, you will get to know them as people, and see if they are the types of dudes you want to be friends with. Of course you should still go to rush events, but just know that they are for free booze, food, and strippers, and little else.

billyjex
12-16-2004, 05:17 PM
I wasn't paying for my friends. I'm just saying I joined a frat because my two friends were.

I never considered myself a frat guy. I'm definetely not anything like a sterotypical one. I could have hung out with other people, but these were my two good buddies, so I did something I never though I'd do.

I'm like all of you. I dissed fraternities before I joined. Now, being in the system, I enjoy the experience. It has made my college life much more exciting and worthwhile.

Cornell Fiji
12-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Tron,
I hope you realize that all of the people so far that advised you not to join a fraternity were not themselves in fraternities.

Meanwhile, everyone who replied who was in a fraternity reccomended that you join one!

Every one that I know who joined a fraternity at Cornell is glad that they did it. There are some who like their fraternity more than others. Those who don't like their fraternities as much as others simply decide to not live in the house their senior year and aren't as active in the dealings of their house that they used to be.

Most of the posters who advised you not to join a house gave the advice because 'frat guys are gay,' or 'frat guys are assholes' etc. It amazes me that these people are unable to realize that all fraternities and all fraternity brothers are not alike.

I am not suggesting that you join a house that is populated by assholes! What I said in my previous post was that you should find a fraternity that is right for you, with guys that you want to spend a lot of time with who are genuinely good guys. It is extremely important to be open minded to all of the fraternities on your campus as you are rushing, make sure that you find a house that is right for you.

That said, I am sure that you are smart enough to realize that a broad stereotype of all fraternity members is rediculous and that there are many houses that are populated by truely great guys.

When I leave school, my fondest memories are going to be of my fraternity brothers and the things that we did together. I think this is true of most Greeks and this is why every Greek who replied to your question suggested that you join.

Some other benefits that I did not mention in my previous post are the ability to assume a leadership role in a group of your peers (if you are so inclined,) and the amount that you will learn about organizations and how to get things done in organizations. These are lessons that will carry you far in life and will prove to an advantage that you have over nonGreeks once you leave school. Also the connections that you make do prove to be helpful once you leave. An example of this is, a graduate brother from my house who graduated 5 years ago started a company in Syracuse. He has since hired 4 other graduates from my fraternity. The company has done well and they are all millionaires. Now the people that he hired are very smart and capable, but it certaintly helped to be able to call on a brother once they left school and to get a great job. (once again this is not a reason in itself to join a house but an added benefit to being in a house)

Being in a fraternity is awesome and it will truely enhance your college experience. Find the house that is right for you and you will be extremely glad that you did.

-Steve

theredwave
12-16-2004, 07:53 PM
I vote join. Best decision of my life and I am loving every minute of it. I don't think I could survive college without being in my fraternity. Also, don't call a fraternity a frat because that's like calling your country a c.unt.

M2d
12-16-2004, 07:56 PM
Perhaps it's because those of us who never joined a frat got the same or similar benefits without having to brand ourselves as "Us" as opposed to "them". For the record, most of the gay guys I knew in school weren't in frats. However, as I pointed out earlier, if you just want to party, that can easily be accomplished without paying dues and all the other requirements. especially at a place like USC.

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, don't call a fraternity a frat because that's like calling your country a c.unt.

[/ QUOTE ] I have meet people in frats that say this, and every time I hear it I want to punch them because of how stupid this [censored] is.

PhatTBoll
12-16-2004, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have meet people in frats that say this, and every time I hear it I want to punch them because of how stupid this [censored] is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in a frat and I agree completely. The guys in my house used to make fun of people who say this.

theredwave
12-16-2004, 08:04 PM
This year I pledged as a freshman but there were about 5 upperclassmen that also decided to pledge that year. Every single one of them had the time of their lives and said college would never be the same after joining. While partying is a main part of a fraternity there is so much more that you miss out on by not joining. If you're looking to find a good job after college a fratenity will help you get there. You will have to put in a lot of work and dedication by running for offices within the fraternity, becoming involved around campus and in general helping out your brothers when they need you. If all you want to do is party then don't join a fraternity. If you want to truly get something out of college then join.

SomethingClever
12-16-2004, 08:06 PM
Frats blow. That said, a couple of my good friends were in a frat. But they didn't like it very much.

When I was a junior, we decided to host an "independent rush" at our house (a 6-bedroom beast 1 block from campus).

My politically savvy roommate actually got permission from the university to distribute fliers across the campus promoting our "independent rush," which was in reality a 4-keg party at our house.

Good times, good times.

mmbt0ne
12-16-2004, 08:07 PM
Seriously, that is the lamest thing I've ever heard.

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, that is the lamest thing I've ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]you've never heard anyone in a frat say that?

M2d
12-16-2004, 08:10 PM
I was just making an observation that OP placed partying as the sole reason he was considering this move. other than that, he didn't seem to have much of an opinion of them other than the commonly held view that they are gay (not necessarily my opinion, just paraphrasing here). In that light, I voted no.

mmbt0ne
12-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Most of my frat friends aren't very into the whole Greek life thing for some reason or another so no. If I had, I think I would laugh in their face.

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most of my frat friends aren't very into the whole Greek life thing for some reason or another so no. If I had, I think I would laugh in their face.

[/ QUOTE ]my friend who was in a frat told me about it. He said people in his house didn't call it a frat, I said that was gay as fuc[/b]k.

wacki
12-16-2004, 08:25 PM
A went to IU as an undergrad and became a Pike. I did it because I was a transfer student and I wanted to get to know people quick. I can honestly say, there is no better way to get to know 100 guys like you know your own brothers. My pledgeship was very harsh and very intense, but it was the greatest social learning experience of my life. A very large portion, if not most, CEO's of fortune 500 companies are greek and I believe there is a very good reason for that. The greek system is just a very good, and very intense learning experience. Currently none of my closest friends are Pikes, but I am a rare exception. Despite that it still was one of the best decisions I've made in my life. I met many amazing men and women through the greek system and I am better off for it.

My recommendation is do not randomly join a frat. Find a hot chick that shares remotely the same interests as you and ask her what are the good houses. Chicks love giving out this information. Write her answers down and then ask about ten more hot chicks the same question.

Find the 5-10 best houses and spend a lot of time getting to know the guys at those houses. Tell them you are rushing and they will spend time with you. That is about 500-1,000 people for you to interact with, that shoudl be more than enough to find some people that you really get along with. Also, remember that the houses with the tougher pledgeships usually have the best rewards when it comes to actually getting to know your frat brothers. I wouldn't worry about horror stories about pledgeships. I think my pledgeship marked the last of the actual hardcore pledgeships. Although it sucked going through it, I can't help but smile when thinking about it. That pledgeship taught me a lot about myself and other people.

Remember don't half ass fraternities. If you are going to do it, go all out. After you beome a brother you can do whatever you want. It's only one semester. It won't choose your friends, but it is probably the most effective machine on the planet for getting to know people. And you will get to know a lot of people.

Plus there are tons of chicks out there that will shag you just because they want to have sex in a fraternity and freaky chicks like to do it in the coldroom.

mmbt0ne
12-16-2004, 08:31 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
He said people in his house didn't call it a frat, I said that was gay as [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I wouldn't have anything to do with anyone who said something like that.

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A very large portion, if not most, CEO's of fortune 500 companies are greek and I believe there is a very good reason for that. The greek system is just a very good, and very intense learning experience.

[/ QUOTE ] I think this has nothing to do with frats, and everything to do with the reinforcement of "the old boys club" mentality that permeates throughout the upper levels of American business.

just my 2 cents and opinion.

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He said people in his house didn't call it a frat, I said that was gay as [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I wouldn't have anything to do with anyone who said something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]well my friend never said that, rather that people in his frat said that. Actually, my buddy never refered to it as his frat either, always fraternity.

wacki
12-16-2004, 08:40 PM
There was one guy in my house that took that saying semi seriously. He was a douche bag.

That is out of a sample set of 200 over 3 years.

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 08:48 PM
I know, it was probably the one guy who joined the frat to join a frat

Sponger15SB
12-16-2004, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A very large portion, if not most, CEO's of fortune 500 companies are greek and I believe there is a very good reason for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its probably because fortune 500 CEO's are gay losers who think they are better than everyone else. /sarcasm

Seriously though, its probably because most of them went to schools such as USC where the FRAT scene (i'm with you on this one TSC) is bigger.

Sponger15SB
12-16-2004, 08:52 PM
Side rant:

How many of you college people have heard this from someone: "Man high school was so gay, there were so many cliques, I'm glad to be in college away from that"

and then later on your hear them says this

"SIGMA NU RULLLLLLLLLESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 08:54 PM
yeah, they are also huge on schools like harvard, Cornell,etc... so that also probably has something to do with it. never thought about that sponger.

wacki
12-16-2004, 09:39 PM
If somebody didn't want to hang out with me because I wasn't a part of their clique, then I always decided they weren't worth my time. The same went with college. Life is to short to be otherwise.

As for the CEO thing. 85% of fortune 500 CEO's are greek. I doubt any school in the nation is anywhere near that.

http://www.ar.utexas.edu/Courses/parmenter/fs301/texan/letters1.html

bugstud
12-16-2004, 09:40 PM
I wonder if we have any U of I people that joined one...given it's the largest system in the country. I never joined one, though I did give it some thought. I wasn't big into drinking and partying at that point and thought it might not be worth it.

I also don't know anyone very well that is in a frat (odd, right).
I think the advice on this thread has been sound...if you think you want to do it, research it and then go for it if you like what you see.

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As for the CEO thing. 85% of fortune 500 CEO's are greek. I doubt any school in the nation is anywhere near that.

[/ QUOTE ] I am sure if you looked at that 85%, most probably went to big time business uni's, where Greek systems are very active and popular.

Sponger15SB
12-16-2004, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As for the CEO thing. 85% of fortune 500 CEO's are greek.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok next question: Why is this important to know?

I'm dying to hear this one.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-16-2004, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I am sure if you looked at that 85%, most probably went to big time business uni's, where Greek systems are very active and popular.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. Look at the schools they come from and I'd be willing to bet that the 85% matches the general population when taking a weighted average.

wacki
12-16-2004, 10:06 PM
Most of the Universities that these people came from have a greek percentage below 20%, and this includes IU.

Why is it important to know? I am simply trying to show that the greek system is an excellent learning experience. I think the greek system is one of the best ways to get hands on training in philanthropy, as well as several other areas of human relations involving the coordination of large groups of people. You learn a lot about people in general.

In otherwords, the greek system is nothing to make fun of. It's not something everyone, or even most people need to join by any means. But it does have benificial effects. That's all.

Chairman Wood
12-16-2004, 10:50 PM
I don't know if someone said something similar to this above : PLAY RUGBY!!! There are a lot of aspects to a college rugby club that are similar to a fraternity. I really don't have the time to go in depth but I really encourage you to give it a try for two weeks, if it is for you keep it up, if not no biggie. It will be one of the best decisions you ever made. It really isn't for everyone, but if you do get into it, you can't imagine doing anything else. It gives you a lot of the things, parties, girls, etc. that you are looking for in a frat and a lot more.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-17-2004, 02:36 AM
no.

jfresh
12-17-2004, 06:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if someone said something similar to this above : PLAY RUGBY!!! There are a lot of aspects to a college rugby club that are similar to a fraternity. I really don't have the time to go in depth but I really encourage you to give it a try for two weeks, if it is for you keep it up, if not no biggie. It will be one of the best decisions you ever made. It really isn't for everyone, but if you do get into it, you can't imagine doing anything else. It gives you a lot of the things, parties, girls, etc. that you are looking for in a frat and a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

this applies to many sports/clubs (mostly sports) where a group of guys are together a lot, and the comaraderie through being on the same team. not just rugby.

Tron
12-17-2004, 08:28 AM
Well, well, well... I've been sick all day so I haven't had a chance to reply to this bad boy. I pulled up 2+2 tonight (this morning) after finally getting over the worst headache of my life, and I'm pretty amazed by all the responses.

The poll is certainly clear-cut, but the responses definitely indicate otherwise. You would think that with a 3:1 advantage over "Yes" the people who voted "No" would be able to come up with a convincing argument, but I really haven't read one yet. On the other hand, all the people who said "Yes" provided well-written, extensive, and thoughtful reasons for doing so.

All the advice I've read has been great, and I'll be sure to consider all of it when I go back to school in a few weeks. I'll be sure to tell you guys how it goes.

The once and future king
12-17-2004, 09:40 AM
When I spent my exchange year at LSU (I am a Brit) Frats were one of the most alien and foriegn thing about the exchange experience.

All I seemed to do was get into fights with the 18 yr olds ( I was 21) in my dorm who seemed to think that fratness was an excuse to tell me what to do and behave with more arrogance than I have ever seen in other human beings even members of the english aristocracy.

The reason I came into conflict with them was I of course didnt understand what frats were so the fact they belonged to one didnt mean didly squat to me. This seemed to infuriate them beyond reason.

I say "Fight" as once I had unleashed the inner hooligan that lurks inside the soul of every working class brit they soon found a way to back down, even if they were in large groups.

This culminated with one day getting a knock on my door and some guy shoving a Tazer in my face the moment I had opened it. The look on his face when it just broke on my chin is something I will remember for life.

I dont think I understand frats still, it just seemed to give its members who lived in my dorms such a sense of inherent superiority that they would act like total arseholes 24/7.

ThaSaltCracka
12-17-2004, 11:54 AM
did the frats at LSU not have frat houses?

The once and future king
12-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Yea, but freshers wernt allowed to live in them. I was in my third year of College so of course freshers were doubly annoying.

As rewenge for there constant hassle, another Brit and I broke into one frat house, this was easy because this other Brit was a mature student who had been a cat burgalur in his previous adult life.

We stole some cheesy award thing that had Omega Wanka Twat or sumfink Highest grade point average written on it.

Another Brit (we all hated these frat boys we had been lumped in with) was doing graphics, we took the award out from its frame and changed it for Omega Wanka Twat: Smallest average Dick size.

This is the sort of humour they seemed obssesed with so we wanted to insult them in a way they could understand.

The Cat snook back in and put it back were we found it.

Oh how we laughed. I suppose we beat them at there own game. I was still young enought to be a jeuvinile prick myself at times. Still am hopefully.

ThaSaltCracka
12-17-2004, 01:40 PM
nice prank, but I am sure it wasn't up for long.

To be honest with you, most frat guys aren't like that, so I really think you have the wrong impression of them.

beerbandit
12-17-2004, 04:41 PM
tradition

beerbandit
12-17-2004, 04:42 PM
youll understand if you make it

Sponger15SB
12-17-2004, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
tradition

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
youll understand if you make it

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cornell Fiji
01-24-2005, 07:21 PM
Just wondering if you decided to join a fraternity.

Hope it went well.

-Steve

fimbulwinter
01-24-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm in a frat and would not reccomend joining any of the USC ones. you already messed up bad enough being a trojan.

we always have massive lines outside our parties filled with SC frat trash getting kept on the street. maybe there are good houses at SC, but i've never heard or seen of one in the time i've spent on that campus and the conversations had with SC girls.

fim

Tron
01-24-2005, 09:01 PM
I did a little researching of what frats have what interests, and it turns out that the one with the most snowboarders (snowboarding is by far my greatest interest) also has a really, really bad rep with the roofies. So I wasn't really feeling that.

The idea isn't dead, but it's not happening this semester. I'll keep looking, talking, etc.

Tron
01-24-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in a frat and would not reccomend joining any of the USC ones. you already messed up bad enough being a trojan.

we always have massive lines outside our parties filled with SC frat trash getting kept on the street. maybe there are good houses at SC, but i've never heard or seen of one in the time i've spent on that campus and the conversations had with SC girls.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

Harsh man, where do you go to school? I have a guess...

Gamblor
03-21-2005, 01:15 PM
1) It's not a "frat". You don't call your country a [censored], do you?

2) Some frats are really demanding, others are relaxed. Some have guys who are really close, others feature independence. Some are strict academically, others don't even check your grades.

The point is that there's something for everyone.

FWIW, I was an AEPi at Toronto, and we didn't even have a house. It was literally 60 guys, the largest fraternity on campus, and we made a deal with a local bar (Rowers) to let us use their upstairs restaurant whenever we wanted to hang out and eat or watch a hockey game. We were probably the most well known group on campus too. And not having a house gave the entire group a focus - getting $ for a house.

One of the best things ever. A good one will let you choose your own involvement. I was Vice-President in my 3rd year, and I went to a grand total of 4 fraternity-related events in my 4th year. The bad guys say "get out more or you're blackballed". The good guys say "you should come out more cause its more fun that way"

And it usually is.

Tron
03-21-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) It's not a "frat". You don't call your country a [censored], do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

For what it's worth (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1971658&amp;page=0&amp;view=c ollapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;vc=1) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
03-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Join. Or you'll miss out on...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/OOTtub.jpg

Gamblor
03-21-2005, 02:04 PM
People in your cunt need to turn on their "facetiousness" detectors. /images/graemlins/grin.gif