PDA

View Full Version : Flappity Flap

naphand
12-16-2004, 06:50 AM
Opponent here has been aggressive though seems a touch loose, a raise likely means a good hand, and he can be somewhat tricky. He is losing chips and berating the table. I have not had much by way of hands, and have folded a few flops when PF raisor.

Ultimate Bet 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Naphand is Button with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Naphand raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Naphand calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Naphand calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Naphand raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Naphand checks.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

The PF 3-bet from the BB sure looks like a big hand, but I really did not want to fold this flop as it was becoming a habit, and opponent/table will see that. With a possible 6 outs ( /images/graemlins/crazy.gif) and a backdoor I call (I also have "hidden outs" as if the board pairs again I split with better A). Turn is interesting, do I have enough hand to play back? I think so.

Rubeskies
12-16-2004, 06:54 AM
BB has a wider range of hands even though he 3-bet because you are on what looks like a steal raise therefore his 3-betting standards are lower.

Why did you raise the turn and not bet the river?

stripsqueez
12-16-2004, 07:19 AM
its all boring until you call the flop bet - leaving aside issues re your image i think calling is ok - everytime i call the pre-flop 3 bet or raise heads up and call the flop bet and fold the turn i make a mental note - i dont like to do it a lot because i usually love it when people do it against me

like the first response i cant work out why you would raise the turn but not value bet the river - i suspect you were fearful of a pocket pair that beats you but if hes aggro he might of 3 bet the turn with that hand and he must be a chance to pay the river with something like AQ

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

kiddo
12-16-2004, 08:03 AM
Problem here is flop. If u call I think u have to raise turn if it is a card in the playing zone (A-9) that u can represent. If u are lucky he will then have only 1 overcard, making it impossible to call. (If turn is another rag he will call with AT thinking he got 6outs?)

There is a decent chance he 3bet with an A in is hand or a pocketpair, giving u 3outs and u dont know if they are good or not when they hit. So, if u dont want to play back at him u should think about folding flop.

naphand
12-16-2004, 09:46 AM
This was a very situational play. I did not want to be folding flops every time someone raised me unless I had TP or better or some obvious draw. I suspect my image was somewhat aggro PF but weak after the flop, due to missing a lot of flops and finding myself getting raised. This time he has to bet the Turn again.

Calling the flop here is not so bad due to outs mentioned, plus he may not have an A, so perhaps 3 A outs, 1.5 backdoor flush plus 3 outs to a 3 and extra outs if the board pairs again. A tricky combination to work out exactly how many outs I had, but I felt I was getting pushed a bit due to folding previous flops. If I picked up any kind of draw or pair I was raising the Turn. I doubt he 3-bets a raise with the 77 on the board.

The River bet, ho-hum, yes it is an "easy" value bet. However, I was not anywhere near confident he calls this with anything I am ahead of (this is UB, it's rare to see people call down Turn raises with just overcards) and he certainly had the capacity to CR me with a good PP. It was typical of this player to wait until the next street to punish aggression from other players. But more than this, I definitely wanted to show this down, both to opponent and table. It was not that long into the session and if they see me raising A3s (yes it was OTB, and they may see it as a steal) but also a pair as weak as this one, I figured I am getting more action on better hands.

On UB the play is usually pretty tight post-flop, unless there is a calling station type (not that often). I felt it was more than likely he dumps this hand on the River after my Turn raise. I still think it is enough to value-bet, but here I really wanted a SD. I know he is gonna be pissed when he sees my hand (if AK) and I know the rest of the table will think me crazy to raise the Turn here with what I had. Chucking in a "loose" call and raising the Turn, checking the River is one of the non-standard 20% plays I mentioned elsewhere, strongly read-based, with the intention of getting more action to my raises in future. ABC play I have found to be strictly limited in what it can achieve on tables where post-flop play is not stupid.