PDA

View Full Version : AJ...how do you guys play this one

nbake
12-16-2004, 05:12 AM
Man I feel like an [censored] check/calling this piece. Do you guys just call this down? Looking at it now I think a better line would be to bet the turn and fold to a raise. I had a really good feeling I was beat but got stubborn and called it down anyway. I suck.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.66 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.66 BB

Rubeskies
12-16-2004, 05:16 AM
Without a read I think most of the time I would check/raise the flop, call a 3-bet, and then fold the turn unimproved.

JrJordan
12-16-2004, 05:17 AM
With the line you took, it would be extremely weak to fold to his turn or river bet. The problem is, like you mentioned before, is that you have almost zero clue where you stand. In this situation I'd most likely go for a flop checkraise. If he three bets in on the flop, I call and then check/fold unimproved on the turn. If he just calls, I bet out again on the turn and river as long as I'm just called. If he pulls a stop n' go on the turn I usually fold right there as well. The other way you mentioned of simply betting out on the flop and turn, and folding to a raise could work as well. I just feel much more confident folding tot he turn raise after a flop checkraise (though it does cost me another SB... comments anyone?).

Jeff W
12-16-2004, 05:22 AM
If you have a pair of aces and you're worried that you have kicker troubles against an aggressive opponent. Consider this line: Check-call. Check-call. Bet.

In this hand, you would have to be a savant to know that you're beat against an unknown opponent. I would check-call the flop and try for a check-raise on the turn. If 3 bet I would call down. Calling this down here is attrocious.

nbake
12-16-2004, 05:27 AM
I know man it's been bugging me all night. That's why i posted it.

I'm playing it better next time for sure.

JrJordan
12-16-2004, 05:31 AM
Eh, I'm not a huge fan of the turn checkraise. Most hands you beat here are going to fold. A majority of hands that beat you (like AK) will likely just call down from here. If he does indeed three bet, then I think you have an easy fold to make with AJ. It just seems like you're getting the least amount of money in when you're ahead and the most when you're behind. Seems a lot cheaper to do that checkraise on the flop and go from there.

helpmeout
12-16-2004, 05:35 AM
I usually check/call the flop then check/raise the turn depending on the type of player.

Sometimes I just call down if I think he may have a better hand.

Jeff W
12-16-2004, 05:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most hands you beat here are going to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think any pair of queens, KK, weaker Aces, and sometimes hands like 99, TT, JJ, KJ, KT(unlikely) will often call you on the turn at 3/6 and 5/10.

If they do fold, then you have induced them to pay you an extra .5-1.0 BB.

[ QUOTE ]

A majority of hands that beat you (like AK) will likely just call down from here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an argument for the check/raise. There aren't many hands that beat me though, even though he 3-bet. AK, AQ, QQ, AA in that order of likelihood. I think it's more likely that i'll be called down by a worse hand than 3-bet.

[ QUOTE ]
If he does indeed three bet, then I think you have an easy fold to make with AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe so. I rarely fold these type of hands. Perhaps this is a leak. If you can fold this with confidence, I have no doubt that my line is stronger than check/raising the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
It just seems like you're getting the least amount of money in when you're ahead and the most when you're behind. Seems a lot cheaper to do that checkraise on the flop and go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's cheaper by .5 BB when you're behind, but you win less money from weaker hands when ahead. I think you're ahead much more often than you are behind here.

naphand
12-16-2004, 06:22 AM
No, I agree with your line of thinking here Jeff W. This is exactly how I see it.

William Jockusch
12-16-2004, 06:42 AM
I'd have check-called the flop too. See the section on "playing good hands when it is 3 bets before the flop" in HEPFAP.