PDA

View Full Version : other SNGs

chickenbeaks
12-16-2004, 03:49 AM
Anyone play 7 card stud or omaha SNGs? I would imagine the competition is horrible if there is any decent amount of skill involved...?

El Maximo
12-16-2004, 09:09 AM
I played an Omaha SnG by mistake. Went rather quick. Placed 2nd with no real effort. I unfortunately have no idea how to play omaha. They Omaha SnGs seemed just as wild as the NL Holdems.

climber
12-16-2004, 12:43 PM
i signed up for an omaha sng by mistake once. I had never seen the game and had guys in the chat box explining to me how to play....I placed 5th. Just folded a lot--though from what I've learned about the game since probably not enough. Not sure it means anything--but it was certainly interesting to me.

benfranklin
12-16-2004, 03:05 PM
I've been playing O/8 SnGs at Party. A big difference is that O/8's are limit, so they aren't as crazy during the first couple of rounds as NLHE SnGs.

A typical table has 2-3 tight players, including me, and the rest see most, if not all, flops. It seems like most tables rarely have preflop raises, but every once in a while you run into one where a couple of LAGs will be raising about half the hands preflop. LAGs seem to feed off each other, and just one at a table usually won't do a lot of raising if no one else is doing it.

About half the field is usually busted out by around round 4, with some of those left short stacked and some doubled up or better. Most of the tight players are also passive, and rarely see a flop without A2xx or AAxx. They usually last until the blinds get big, and then get blinded out.

If you play tight-aggressive and scoop a few good pots early on, you can make the final 4 without much trouble. From here, you have to loosen up and drive the betting when you have a decent hand. At the end, the typical big stack is trying to bully the table, and the rest are trying to hang on and split pots until they get a big hand. Once it gets down to 3 players, most pots are HU, and most are scooped.