PDA

View Full Version : I raised preflop and got check-raised HU on the flop--now what?

ribbit
12-16-2004, 03:46 AM
assuming no reads, what is the standard/best line for the following scenario (currently I play party 3/6 but soon I will be playing 5/10):

1) I raise preflop with a AK/AQ/AJ and only one opponent calls. I have position.

2) He checks an all low flop (Ten-high or lower, let's say)

3) I bet (which I always do heads up with position after I preflop raised when checked to on the flop. I should always bet here, right?)

4) He raises.

5) How do I proceed the rest of the hand, in general?

This happens A LOT to me. I'm sure the fact that I raise alot preflop (not more often than I am supposed to however) and always bet the flop heads up in this situation encourages opponents to check-raise here. But isn't it correct that only about a third of the time he will flop a pair or better? If so, that means that an opponent who does this 50% of the time must be check-raising with quite a few hands that are behind mine on the flop, right?

My standard line has been to call the flop and fold unimproved on the turn versus typical or unknown opponents but to usually call all the way down (including the river) against opponents who habitually check-raise this flop. Recently, however, it occurred to me that maybe I should be reraising in this spot and then checking behind on the turn (and calling the river) when I don't improve and betting the turn when I pair one of my big cards.

Thanks for your help.