PDA

View Full Version : Flopped set...but could I have played this ANY differerntly?

kendal14
12-16-2004, 01:24 AM
Mainly asking about betting out on the turn and river. The 3 better PF and flop raise made me confused about the rest of the hand.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (12.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB

MoreWineII
12-16-2004, 01:32 AM
First of all, I'd consider open-raising preflop.

Secondly, I'm probably folding when it's two cold back to me preflop.

Thirdly, I might consider check-raising the flop to trap SB in the hand. If not the flop, then the turn.

Given the line you took, I think the turn and river are good.

kendal14
12-16-2004, 02:24 AM
Thanks for the analysis. You I questioned my preflop cold call of two back, but the PF 3 better had a pfr of about 30%, so I put him on a HUGE range of hands and was very willing to drop the hand after the flop.

DeezNutz3
12-16-2004, 02:40 AM
I would open raise with this hand and I would CR the flop. NH

afk
12-16-2004, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the analysis. You I questioned my preflop cold call of two back, but the PF 3 better had a pfr of about 30%, so I put him on a HUGE range of hands and was very willing to drop the hand after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a heads up, you really need to include these reads before people reply to the hand.

kendal14
12-16-2004, 06:49 AM
What condition in this hand makes the paired 6's a raisable hand? My position and no limpers? The fact that it is Party 2/4?

I generally don't know when to raise or limp with 88 and lower. Just curious if anyone has any general situations they look for where they feel these hands are +EV.

Thanks.

Rah
12-16-2004, 09:43 AM
I don't like openraising with small/medium pairs either, unless the table is so tight or weak/tight that you might steal the pot preflop or on the flop.
These hands are good for one thing, and that is making a set against many opponents. Raising this hand will probably make you play against one or two players on the flop, which is exactly what you don't want.

DeezNutz3
12-16-2004, 10:05 AM
But if you raise in Middle late you aren't playing for set odds...you want it heads up or 3 way. This isn't ALWAYS a bad thing.

krishanleong
12-16-2004, 11:16 AM
The idea that your opponents PFR is relevent to your decision to call two cold is badly thought out. Assume that your opponent raised any two cards over 7. Your in just about as bad shape as someone who only raises 10 percent. You are going to hit your set and win or miss and either lose or not know you are winning. Raising preflop is fine, folding when it is two back to you is also good unless you can justify it by saying they play poorly post-flop and will pay off to the river. PFR shouldn't influence whether you should call two preflop.

I would have called the flop and raised the turn. I think SB has a big pair AQ, KQ. He is out of position so you are in no danger of giving a free card on the turn. Call and raise the turn.

Krishan

Victor
12-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Preflop: Some people might give you a hard time for calling. I dont care, though, because I cant fold pocket pairs preflop.

Flop: Looks good. Due to the flush draw I like playing this hand fast. The only other option is to smoothcall the flop and raise the turn. The problem is that SB could be on a draw and wont bet into you on the turn. the line you took is the best.
Turn: obviously

River: obviously

Rah
12-16-2004, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But if you raise in Middle late you aren't playing for set odds...you want it heads up or 3 way. This isn't ALWAYS a bad thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that the people calling your raise will have either a larger pocket pair or overcards. That adds up to a situation which requires expert postflop play to be profitable.

MoreWineII
12-16-2004, 01:05 PM
I think you're assuming that you have to really hit the flop to win. The times I can take down the pot with a flop bet even if two overcards hit make open-raising mid-PP's preflop from mid/late position a profitable play for me.

kendal14
12-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I definitely have some more to think about with small before pf.

The funny results?

SB shows Kh2h
Button shows 10h5h

SB takes the pot. Notes definitely went into PT about Button and SB raising standards... and super passivity.

Fat Nicky
12-16-2004, 04:48 PM
As you mentioned, this is all avoided if you either raise or fold pre-flop.