PDA

View Full Version : Which books to get?

CeERaiG
12-15-2004, 09:47 PM
I'd like to not think of myself as a newbie, but I wouldn't consider myself an advanced player at all. So I'm looking to elevate my game and I've decided to invest in some books due to me having some extra time on my hands for the holidays. I've played for approximately a year, but I just found a home game that I've played in weekly since August. Buy-in is usually $5 or $10. Im not very consistent at all and have only won a couple times. So I did some research and narrowed down the books I want to the following four.

Winning Low-Limit Hold’Em by Lee Jones
Internet Texas Hold’Em by Matthew Hilger
Hold’Em Poker for Advanced Players by David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth
Small Stakes Hold 'Em by Ed Miller, David Sklansky, and Mason Malmuth

The first two books I'm told are more geared towards beginners and I am not sure if it would be a waste of time for me to read them. The last two books as I take it, are for more experienced players. Now I would love to read the last two books, but I don't know if I would be missing out on a lot by skipping the first two. I'd like to limit myself to two books right now, because I dont feel like dropping all that money for the books right now. I really just want to know what would be the best two for me to read.

illunious
12-15-2004, 09:57 PM
What do you play / want to learn? Limit or NL? Cash game or tourney?

the_joker
12-15-2004, 10:11 PM
If you're only going to get two, I'd get HPFAP and SSH, but I haven't read ITH. WLLH was the first book I read, but I think if you consider yourself mid-level, you will learn more from HPFAP and SSH, and I don't think you will miss out on anything by skipping WLLH.

Dave H.
12-15-2004, 10:54 PM
Also Theory of Poker (TOP)

CeERaiG
12-15-2004, 11:56 PM
We usually play NL Hold'em Tournament style.

the_joker
12-16-2004, 12:06 AM
I'm reading the new "Harrington on Hold'em" book right now. I'm only 70 pages into it, but it seems awesome!

QuickLearner
12-16-2004, 03:45 AM
The books you mention are all related to limit hold'em, so they will be entertaining but irrelevant. I'd suggest "Tournament Poker for Advanced Players" by Sklansky or "Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker" by Reuben/Ciaffone? I'll also be buying the new Harrington book after I have committed the rest of SSH to memory (I play limit).

AncientPC
12-16-2004, 07:20 AM
Read these two threads:
Which three books would you recommend? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=928263&page=0&view=collap sed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#928263)

Book Reviews (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=450677&page=&view=&sb =5&o=&vc=1) (posted by Mason)