PDA

View Full Version : NLHE Fold or Call?

08-02-2002, 01:25 PM
2nd round of a multi-table tourney - online. approimately 120 players.

I am on the button with AK(have about 1800Tchips). BLinds 25-50. folded to me - I bet 3x BB to 150. SB calls flat - BB folds. (400 in pot)SB appears to be pretty tight - lots of folding and not really a bluffer.

Flop 8,J,K (rainbow)

SB checks

I lead out 200

SB calls flat

(800 T chips in pot)

Turn Q (8,J,K)(completes rainbow)

Same bet by me

SB calls

(1200 T chips)

River 3 (Q,8,J,K)- no flush possibilities

SB moves all-in for about 650. I am getting about 3-1 on the call, but if i miss - my stack will be very short. I think I had around 900 or so when this decision came up. I put him on AK at a minimum.

I Muck. choosing to save my chips. any comments?

The Crazy One,

Lipshitz

08-02-2002, 02:47 PM
He hit his straight probably.

Fold

08-02-2002, 03:06 PM
He's either got you beat or it's a desperation bluff. I can't tell which.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

08-02-2002, 04:22 PM
I'm assuming that since you're posting on here, you're probably one of the better players in the tourney, therefore, might as well play conservative and be patient. I just started studying TPFAP and have taken that away as the best piece of advice, and it's paying off well for me.

On the other hand, if you're up against 120 world class players, then you gamble. But it's probably not likely that's the case here.

How did you do afterwards?

08-02-2002, 04:33 PM
Rebounded nicely. I was able to rebuild my stack in a couple of rounds. Had AA the following round - slow played it on the turn when a pair of 2's hit the flop and tripled up! (2 went all - in - 1 complete bluff and a pocket 8s) With about 24 players left - I was in 6th. Cards ran cold after that and I got caught trying to steal a few times - went out 16th. Top ten paid out. /images/frown.gif

I just wondered if that pot could have made the difference? I would have been less shortstacked towarsd the end and thus less agressive. Oh well.

the crazy one,

Lip Shitz

08-02-2002, 07:03 PM
> Flop 8,J,K (rainbow) I lead out 200

Why do you underbet here? Even if there is no flush draw, there are two cards in the playing zone and lots of str8 possibilities. With 3:1 and enough money behind, many player will call here with any pair and maybe even with gunshots. After all, you were in a steal position and after your weak position bet, he will think that a pair of jacks could easily be the best hand.

> Turn Q (8,J,K) Same bet by me

IMO, a token bet of 1/4 pot is the worst possible play in this spot. There's zero chance to get him out if he's drawing live and by forcing him to put 1/2 of his stack in, you might make him feel pot committed and consequently bet out on the river with AK but also with busted gunshot-pair combinations like AQ, AJ or JT, which he might have been willing to check down and would have folded to an all-in bet.

> River 3 (Q,8,J,K)- no flush possibilities [..] SB moves all-in

You made a trap play and it worked. Trouble is that your hand never was strong enough for trapping. In a money game against an unknown opponent, I guess you have call (you know that you're behind most of the time, but did your best to encourage him to also bet some lesser hands in that spot). Since it's a tourney and you describe the SB as tight, mucking is probably the best play.

cu

Ignatius