PDA

View Full Version : Playing a set on a three flush flop

partygirluk
12-15-2004, 08:04 PM
This has been causing me a lot of pain.

Say blinds are 25/50, everyone has 1500 chips.

You limp UTG with 77, 6 people see the flop.

Flop is 762 all on suit (pot 300)

The blinds check to you. How the hell do you play this?
The way I play it, I don't see my self getting away from this hand.

Say I pot it and get called in one place.

Turn is a blank. (Pot 900, I have 1150 behind).

Seems like I either have to check fold or push in here. If I push and am called, then I am likely beat. Say I bet 650 to try and flush out my opponent's holding (pun intended), and he puts me all in, I have to call 500 into a 2200 pot which is worthwhile as I have 10/46 chance of filling up and could just be ahead.

Help!

Big Limpin'
12-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Beats me. I suck at this situation. If you learn how to play it well, let me know ok? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

If i have the set, i put my money in on the TURN not the flop, assuming its not 4-flush by then. But the river is always.....

Of course, if i have the flush draw, it never comes, lol

Perhaps you could make the case that if it is an un-raised pot, you needent get involved at all...too dangerous. But that sounds way to pansy to me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PokerCat69
12-15-2004, 08:41 PM
If there are 3 people or less I'll play as if I have the best hand. If there are 4 or more I'll assume someone has the flush.
This situation sucks. I don't think there is a clear cut answer or solution.

Big Limpin'
12-15-2004, 09:04 PM
This situation does have the potential for one of the most beautiful turns/rivers...when a 4th flush card comes, that also pairs the board. Best feeling ever. Assuming you're the guy with the set of course.

syka16
12-15-2004, 09:48 PM
I had a fish marked as a bluffer at Poker Room in a simmilar situation. I called a reraise all in and he flipped over an over pair. But here is how I would play it without a read...

It depends on what buy in you're playing. I'll assume it's lower because of the limpers. Here you're set is a marginal hand. Here, if you pot it on the flop and get called you could be facing matching A, 88, 76, A7, or something fishy but chances are decent that someone has a flush. If you're reraised fold, you have to figure that if you call a reraise, you're commited to a show down unless a 4th suit hits the turn (8 outs). So do you want to gamble with 6 limpers this early? i'd pot it to see where you're at and fold to a reraise... Most people reraise a made flush. If called and the turn is blank ( /images/graemlins/cool.gif if it pairs), figure that you're set is best and push.

Remember,you only have 8 outs, which isn't good enough to commit you're whole stack.

Playing marginal hands early in SNGs isn't the best strategy so play it safe and let the fish knock each other out. Wait for ++++EV not +EV

adanthar
12-15-2004, 10:02 PM
I can't tell you exactly how to play it but here are some comments:

-Very few people who limp two suited cards are good enough to raise a flopped low flush. Instead, they love slowplaying until the turn or even river.

-The question is not if you are called but how many callers you will have. One caller means absolutely nothing except the A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or even K-Q or just plain old top pair (and a push on the turn will still be called by the naked A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif more often than not; after all, you're playing these buyins because of the fish.) Two is trouble. Three means goodbye.

-Potting a flopped set into many limpers on a flush board is pointless. A fish with the A will call if you pot, he will call if you double the pot and he will call if you all in (well, sometimes he'll all in if you double the pot.) Just bet your plain old 2/3 as usual. Giving/not giving odds in low buyin SNG's is overrated when compared to the ability to bet/fold a subsequent street (because now the pot is 700 and you have 1250 behind, and suddenly, you can bet 500 and fold to a raise.)

The rest greatly depends on your reads, but in general, I'm fine with all my chips in the middle and just want to get them there against 1 caller, not 3.

partygirluk
12-15-2004, 10:08 PM
I like your line. If I get raised all in I am getting 2450:750, which is still very tempting, but If I get called on the flop and reraised all in on a blank turn I have to be facing a flush 90%+ of the time. Thanks. Keeping the pot small is something I definitely need to work on.

syka16
12-15-2004, 10:39 PM
You could play it like any other draw from EP and check/call depending on the size of the bet. You're right, fish slow play or over bet giving you much easier decision if you're drawing. You'll probably get an all in or 100 with 3 callers. The later case, you're getting correct odds for taking a look at the turn (expect an all in on the turn from someone).

partygirluk
12-15-2004, 11:11 PM
OK. Here is a q for you. Say one adopts your line. You bet 500 on a blank turn and get called. What do you do on a blank river?

adanthar
12-15-2004, 11:15 PM
Check/call. You still get all your chips in, but this way you let him bluff his ace/top pair.