PDA

View Full Version : new computer purchase- need lots of advice.

bholdr
12-15-2004, 06:54 PM
I've just taken a new job, and my extremly dated computer needs replacing. I've managed to win enough playing to afford to buy a bottom of the line model budget of about 500$ my computer-guy freind had only a couple of reccomendations, A: get an AMD processor, and B: get as much ram as i can afford. this seems like good advice, but i thought i'd submit it for your consideration. my questions are:

is this an economical descision? do you get more for your money buying a cheaper model, or an expensive one?

all i really need the computer for is e-mail/internet, bookkeeping, word processing, and of course, poker. that is, i don't play other games/ download movies/ etc. will a bottom of the line model be sufficient? the ones i've been looking at have had something like: 2.4MHZ processor, 60GB HD, 256 MB ram, cd/dvd-rw, MS office, etc.

is it a better deal to get one of those package deals or just a tower? i have a decent printer and a tolerable monitor. what are the values of the ones that come with such packages? is it cost/time-effective to spent an extra 75$ or so on the system and re-sell the monitor/printer/soundsystem?

and also, eventually i'm going to buy a nice monitor (need 1600x1200 res for four tabling). what do these run? safe to buy used?

in case you couldn't tell, i know exactly dick about computers. any other helpfull tips/ advice would be welcome and appreicated.

ty in advance. Brian Holdren

bholdr
12-15-2004, 06:54 PM
additionally, optical wireless mouse work ok for poker?

SamJack
12-15-2004, 07:03 PM
I think those are pretty good recommendations.
With the things that you plan to use the computer for you may consider Celeron and see how the price compares against AMD Athlon. Of course, with everything being the same Athlon is a better processor.

I would also set aside enough money so that you can get a good monitor.

If you plan to multi-table like many on this forum you want something that will support 1600X1200. CRT's are the cheapest solution. I would recommend at least 19' so you eye don't go cookoo at that resolution. If you can dish out the money go for LCD instead of CRT.

As far as wireless mouse goes, I have one from Logitech and have no complaints, but a recent post has complained about a 'lag' when using wireless mouse.

SamJack