PDA

View Full Version : STEPS (step 5 in particular)

Voltron87
12-15-2004, 06:48 PM
I've been playing a lot of the STEPS recently, I took a chunk of money and played a bunch of Step 1s. So far I've cruised, I've been moving up gradually (playing all step 1s, then when I only have step 2s likewise) I am at the point where I have 3 step 5 entries.

Level 1 was ridiculously fishy, it got a little better towards 3 but even at 4 these are still extremely beatable. Is lvl 5 the same? Is the quality of play much stronger? Obviously there are some 215ers who will be v good, but if I have done great up to 5 can I expect a similar level at 5?

Just wondering, with how much overlay I'm getting (starting at 1) this seems a little to good to be true. If I get even fourth in only one of my step 5s I will have made a ludicrous profit.

sofere
12-15-2004, 06:52 PM
I've been reading a lot about these "STEPS" lately...what are they?

Thanks

Voltron87
12-15-2004, 06:57 PM
STEPS Challenge (http://partypoker.com/news/events/steps-challenge-04.html)

Benholio
12-15-2004, 07:01 PM
STEPS Challenge is described here. (http://www.partypoker.com/news/events/steps-challenge-04.html)

STEP 5 is much tougher than 4. It isn't uncommon to find 8-10 of the best and most known internet tournament players waiting in the wings at this level, as they buy-in directly to feed on the lesser experienced players who made it via qualifiers.

Having said that, I'm sure your EV in these steps will still be much higher than what you bought in for at the Step 1's, so good luck!

adanthar
12-15-2004, 07:02 PM
Step 5 is a monstrosity. If you are anything less than a winning player at the 30+3 level, regular 2+2 lurker/poster or don't have the experience I think you have a 0% chance of placing. It's brutal.

That said, thanks to their propensity to go all in late the variance in these is huge. Pick up a huge hand or two with 6 to go and you can slide in.

Either way, I think you desperately need to datamine them before you even try one, since it's certainly worth the effort. Knowing that Gigabet will not fold KJo to a resteal is huuuuuuge.

Voltron87
12-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Well I'm a long time lurker and 33 winner, and I'm familiar with what I'm going to meet. I'm not sitting around saying "Whose Gigabet and why does he call with KJo" (I read that whole discussion).

This is what I expected, that level 5 has a significant number of SNG uber experts who can act fearless on the bubble of a 1000 tourney. Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

That said, I expect to be a decent underdog at lvl 5, but the amount of overlay these are giving me still make it ++++++EV.

citanul
12-15-2004, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That said, I expect to be a decent underdog at lvl 5, but the amount of overlay these are giving me still make it ++++++EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

What overlay was this you are talking about? You're going to have to explain your high-falootin logic here. Is it the HUGE number of people who buy in at the $10 level who get to the step 5s that you think is going to be providing this overlay? Perhaps it is your Sure Dominance over the players who buy in at Step 3 and Step 4 who are normally beating up on the $215 sngs that inspires you to think that there is a huge overlay?

Or maybe you just like paying disproportionate rake. Whichever.

citanul

Edit: I see by overlay you mean "I am freerolling at this point from lower steps that I have won my way through." Not quite the same as "overlay"...

If you've won so easilly to this point, you clearly will have no problem with the Step 5s though. They're just as fishy as the step 3 and 4s.

Jeezus, what kind of retarded question is your first post. sigh.

Voltron87
12-15-2004, 07:49 PM
I was wondering how many direct buy in experts will be playing level 5. Just wondering what to expect. Sorry.

Maybe overlay is the wrong word. But since I have gone from step 1 only even if I have a -EV from the 1000 SNG persepective since I am paying much much less than 1000 playing them is EV. I can be a weaker player at 5 but still win money.

adanthar
12-15-2004, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it the HUGE number of people who buy in at the $10 level who get to the step 5s that you think is going to be providing this overlay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite what I just wrote, this number is higher than you might think.

In fact, I'm gonna datamine some more (especially after the next week or so) and then post a thread about the Steps.

I believe, even given the exceptions above, the Step 1's are HUGELY +EV (on the magnitude of 1000%) for a small but significant category of players, many of whom post here.

Edit: In fact, let me post the first part of that right now.

curtains
12-15-2004, 08:38 PM
If you don't want to gamble and instead want a bankroll boost, find a strong pro on 2+2 that you trust and vice versa and let him buy your Step 5 seats for some kind of discount. I bet something could be worked out.

adanthar
12-15-2004, 08:42 PM
That'd be horrifically -EV to the pro since even the pros who buy in directly probably max out with ROI's of, like, 5% long term.

Buying in to either STEP 4 or 5 is just a waste of money for the average 30+3 regular. The question is whether the gigantic discount on those seats you can get by winning your way up justifies taking shots at the top, even as an admittedly -EV STEP 5 player. I think it does.