PDA

View Full Version : 3 hands in WCOOP main event($1000 buy-in)

07-30-2002, 06:29 PM
I got AQ 3 hands in a row and got busted. any comments and critique on my play are welcome.

The blinds was 10/20.

The 1st hand: I was on small blind. every one fold to the button, who ( a pretty good player, agressive and bluff often) raised to 100, I just

flat called, big blind fold. The flop was A, 10, 4, no flush draw. I check, he bet 200, I raised to 400, he move all-in, I fold.

The 2nd hand: I am on button, AQ again. everyone fold to me, I raised to 100. big blind called. The flop came 10, 7, 6. he moved all-in, I fold.

The 3rd hand: I am at the seat before button, AQ again! everyone folded to me, I raised to 100, big blind just called. The flop is Q,9,7, two clubs. he checked, I bet 100, he called again. The turn is a 4c. he checked, I bet 250, he moved all-in. Now I have $790T left, I spent more than 1 min to think: if he has QQ or KK, he won't just call me preflop and on flop. if he has AA, when flop has two clubs, he should not just call me either. Two club cards with a A? then he very likely would bluff on flop. So, the very possible cards he could have are QJ or QT, probably with one club. So, I moved in all my chips. Now the cards Turned over, I am right, he has QdJc. His only way out is to hit a J or club on the river.

He is lucky, the river is a J, I get busted.

07-30-2002, 07:39 PM
Hand 1) I doubt I would just call. I may well fold. Although it is likely he is stealing, I am not sure I want to go to war with AQ out of position at the beginning of the tourney. One option is to re-raise preflop and see how he reacts.

2) Not much to say here. With blinds of 10-20, I probably make it 65 to go.

3) With 230 in the pot, I would bet close to 230 on the flop. On the turn you have a tough decision. The fact the previous 2 hands you folded to a raise, makes it more likely you are still best. Too bad he sucked out.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@Hotmail.com

07-30-2002, 08:19 PM
You don't mention stack sizes, so I assume something around T1000.

1) I check, he bet 200, I raised to 400, he move all-in, I fold.

So you raised the minimum and then folded when he came over the top. This play is pointless: if you decide that your AQ is good (i.e. not dominated), you shoud either raise preflop or reraise big when you flop top-pair/2nd kicker. If you were unsure of your holding , you should have mucked in the first place. Since you called preflop, the obvious play (with T800 left) is either to move in or to muck.

2) The flop came 10, 7, 6. he moved all-in, I fold.

You don't mention stack sizes, but if the money was deep and your opponent sane, you made a good fold. Next hand.

3) The flop is Q,9,7, two clubs. he checked, I bet 100, he called again.

Terrible play. Short of a set, you've got the best flop you could hope for. You have to bet at least the pot in this spot to prevent giving flush and str8 draws a cheap call. Make it 250 or 300 and expect to take it down. If you get called, proceed with caution, but bet at least T300 if a safe card turns at it is checked to you (and muck to a raise).

cu

Ignatius