PDA

View Full Version : MJ

09-20-2001, 01:00 AM
Doesn't really pertain to gambling... not yet anyways, but I am wondering what peoples opinions are on Michael Jordan coming back to play again??.. That is, assuming he does..

Personally, I think it's a bad call.. he is seriously jeopardizing his reputation as one of the best ever, just so that he can pad his pocket a little.. At least that's how it looks...

When Mario came back this winter, I knew in my gut that he was still the best hockey player in the world.. Also, with a lack of superstars in the NHL these days, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to regain the throne that he and Gretzky battled over..

The NBA in the last three years has really grown some incredible superstars... I'd struggle to put MJ in the top ten in the league.. Guys like Allen Iverson, Vince Carter, Shaq, Kobe, TMAC, Latrell Sprewell, etc, etc.. I can't see Michael still being able to be on the same page as these guys.. Plus, over a long season without much help from his team, how can he possibly place himself as the #1 man anymore??..

I truly hope that he doesn't come back... And if he does, I hope he proves me wrong.. But I wouldn't bet on it

Teddy

09-20-2001, 04:03 AM
I'm going to love wathcing TMAC kick his butt. I'm really going to love it when he doesn't get the touch foul calls he used to get. I'm going to be in ecstasy when the Wizards don't make the playoffs.

09-20-2001, 04:33 PM
Teddy:

If you think Larell Sprewell is in the same class as Shaq, Kobe, Iverson etc., you are either a Knick fan or on drugs. He is a solid player but is a long way away from being a dominant player. MJ will call it quits about half way thru the season.--Big AL--

09-20-2001, 08:34 PM
What's amazing is the impact the MJ talk has on futures odds.

The lowly Wizards at 14-1 to win the NBA at Olympic??? Or even lower if you "anti-shop".

Yeah, right.

09-21-2001, 12:30 AM
14-1 ?? Underlay! I dont give them a chance at all even with MJ playing.Maybe 500-1 but no chance to win the NBA finals with the current crew.

09-21-2001, 12:38 AM
What is more ridiculous is I saw one place with higher odds on the Kings than the Wizards. Peja is a better player than MJ now in a similar role and he has a better cast around him. Shows what sentiment will do for you. Wonder why he hasn't called up Portland asking for a trade to get back Scottie as well...

09-22-2001, 01:24 AM
You guys are right, Michael is not the same player he was when he retired. He is healthier and has more drive than in the final title run. Maybe you naysayers haven't heard of Kwame Brown, didn't watch Richard Hamilton score at will down the stretch or watch Jahidi White bang some heads. I only hope that public sentiment is this low in regards to the wizards hopes. No I am not advacating a title, although I am not dismissing it. I could not be any more certain that this team, even without the players Mike will certainly acquire will make the playoffs comfortably. I mean cmon this isn't the western conference we are talking about. Love the Peja comparison. LOL

09-22-2001, 01:44 AM
"I mean cmon this isn't the western conference we are talking about."

Very True... the Wiz have such push-overs to deal with as the Sixers, Raptors, Bucks, Magic, Heat, Hornets and Knicks. And teams like the Nets and Hawks certainly didn't do anything to help themselves this off-season.

09-22-2001, 03:48 AM
I say the Wizzes are about 6th or 7th place material at best. They do have some young talent, but so do the Clippers and few are going to call for them to finish this high either.

As for Peja, well he will "only" score about 24 points a game and grab 7 rebounds for a team that will "only" win about 62 games. I mean his own teammate will have better numbers...what a fool I am! I know I am crazy, but Peja will finish the year with better numbers than MJ, just remember you heard it here first. MJ may be rested and have fire, but too many players have younger legs and fresher reflexes. MJ can try to will himself all he wants, but there is only so much you can ask a body to do. Besides, despite his two retirements, remember he played inordinate amounts of basketball when in the game. He played at least 40 minutes a game from the day he started in the league. He played into June for almost the entire second half of his career. He trained into baseball for the time he was "off". He flat out asked the maximum of his body. Now he takes a couple years off and doesn't even workout extensively, his body gets into a routine of normal life. Now you ask it for the rigors of basketball, the most physically demanding of all games? Other sports may be rougher or require more stamina, but this is the game that requires minute differences of skill and athletic ability. Lose a step and you are gone. Lose a tenth of a second of quickness and you are a bench player. Lose a bit of touch on your shot and you are a mortal. Lose a few games and Michael will get frustrated...