PDA

View Full Version : Progress Report

Dave H.
12-15-2004, 06:38 PM
I started with Play Money and played in August 04 until I could "butcher" the tables...built my 1,000 into 6,000.

Played .02/.04 with my free $2 at Paradise and took it to $40 in Sept and Oct.
Played .05/.10 with my free $10 at Pacific from mid Nov through mid Dec and am now at $50.

My immediate goal:
Get to $80 on Pacific at the .05/.10 and do the same at Paradise, then move to .10/.20 at each and build to $200 on each.

Comments/Suggestions?...thanx!...and thanx for all you've taught me here!!!

AngryCola
12-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Hi Dave,

Consider reading this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1060198&page=&view=&s b=5&o=).

It's a great thread about how to build up a small bankroll using the bonuses offered by online gambling sites. When you are on a small roll, the bonuses can be a huge part of your bankroll growth.

Dave H.
12-15-2004, 08:38 PM
Thanx Angry...yes, I've read it multiple times. Probably sounds crazy, but one of the reasons I've avoided going that route (even though I consider it GREAT advice) is because I believe I may be too tempted to move up "before my time", i.e. before I've gone through the other levels that may teach me some valuable lessons. Could be wrong about that, I suppose, but I'm a plodder...very systematic in everything I do.

But I appreciate your advice, and I just may try it anyway.

Thanx again...and of course, YOU are definitely one of those I'm referring to about being so helpful (specially with us newbies).

Oh yeah, and a second reason is that I have limited time. With all the studying and playing, there's not a lot of time to investigate the bonus angle, although I do realize that we may not be talking about a great deal of time here. What I REALLY wish is that I had seen that note BEFORE I ever started!

AngryCola
12-15-2004, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanx again...and of course, YOU are definitely one of those I'm referring to about being so helpful (specially with us newbies)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, well I'm not always so nice or patient. /images/graemlins/smile.gif See the WPT forum for evidence of how I can lose my cool and act like a tool.

My only question:

Why are you going to split your money between pacific and paradise? I haven't played much on paradise, but I've heard the opponents are generally tougher.

Here is what I suggest.. pool your money in Pacific and play .10/.20
Those games are just as easy as the .5/.10 games, and your bankroll is now big enough to stand the swings at .10/.20.

Pacific is a site you will eventually want to get out of. They don't exactly run a good operation.
Once you have $200, it will be time to take advantage of at least one bounus. That's a decent amount to start playing .25/50 with, so take the money out of pacific and move it somewhere with a decent bonus and good .25/.50 tables.

Bottom line is you are most likely ready to move up to .10/.20 already.

Dave H.
12-15-2004, 09:01 PM
Maybe not patient, but you make sure that a person understands if that person will just listen. And you admit a mistake if you make one.

Where would you suggest that I "pool" my money? I forgot to mention that, early on, I DID deposit $100 into Pacific to get a $25 bonus, but I have to play the .25/.50 tables to qualify for the raked hands, and that $100 is like a "dont touch unless I have to" cushion. Should I withdraw that plus the $50 I've made or go for this $25 bonus? I really don't feel qualified for the .25/.50 yet...not used to swings that I would probably experience there. Whatcha think?

AngryCola
12-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Hmm..

I think I'm confused. I made a bonus through pacific and didn't have to play .25/.50.

My suggestion was that you just play on pacific if your baknroll is about $80. I see that your total roll combined from paradise and pacific is $90. The level you should play at is .10/.20.

Clarify for me if I'm confused about how much you have or where your bonus is.. or what have you.

AngryCola
12-15-2004, 09:25 PM
I just read Pacific removed their .10/.20 tables. It may only be temporary (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1387937&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1), but that would change my advice quite a bit.

Dave H.
12-15-2004, 10:01 PM
Yes, I too called and they told me that the .10/.20 tables would be back in 2 days at most, after their system upgrade.

Dave H.
12-15-2004, 10:08 PM
Apologies...the $100 extra deposit was at PARADISE, NOT Pacific, and I understand that I have to play the .25/.50 tables there to play for the $20 (or $25, can't remember which)

So, bottom line is that I have $140 at Paradise and now $56 at Pacific (JUST WON 45.5 big bets!!)

gaming_mouse
12-15-2004, 10:16 PM
Dave,

Building slowly is great, if you have the patience for it. I might suggest, though, that you get to the .5/1 and 1/2 tables a little faster, as:

1) You are probably good enough to beat them.
2) The play is different form the really micro tables, and is much closer to the play at 2/4. That is, with a few hundred dollars to start, you are probably safe at the .5/1 tables, and you'll get more out of playing them.

Also, as to Cola's statement that "Pacific is a site you will eventually want to get out of. They don't exactly run a good operation." --

While Pacific is surely an examplar of shoddy software design, that's no reason to get out of it. I always like to have a Pacific table open, because the competition is just so juicy.

gm

AngryCola
12-15-2004, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
While Pacific is surely an examplar of shoddy software design, that's no reason to get out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not just talking about the software.
I'm talking about how they run their business. Have you not heard about the letters "winning players" have been receiving? You should run a search for Pacific on the internet forums. That kind of act is completely unacceptable to me. I will not be depositing any more money there at any point.

So we have this, on top of their crappy 35 hands per hour with no multi-tabling. Everything about Pacific is bad news, IMHO.

Except, of course, the really soft games. Still, there are soft games to be found elsewhere that better deserve your money. Personally, the only thing that makes Pacific worth it is the .10/.20 games.

Again, IMHO.

Dave H.
12-15-2004, 10:48 PM
uhhh...what kind of letters??

AngryCola
12-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Hey Dave,

That is a difference. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I understand now.

With Pacfic, you currently have just about enough ($56) to move up to the .10/.20 when it becomes available. I would do it as soon as you can.

I'm unfamiliar with Paradise bonuses, but if you can play with the full $140, I would consider moving up to the .25/.50 tables once you have about $160. If you can't play with the full $140, it will depend on how much you have otherwise.

Your combined bankroll from both sites (assuming you may play with the full $140 at Paradise) is $196. In my opinion, this is enough for you to start playing .25/.50 games. Since the money is split into two sites, you would just have to manage the bankrolls on both sites accordingly.

If you can play with the full $140, go ahead and try the .25/50 limit. If you suffer a bad swing you can always drop back down to a lower level. Depending on how the bonus works, I would just play .25/.50 at Paradise AND .10/.20 on Pacific until you clear your bonus with Paradise.

I think gm's post is pretty good, and I agree with him that you are probably more prepared for higher limits than you think you are.

gaming_mouse
12-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Cola,

Thanks for the reference. I found it here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=1365714&Forum= f14&Words="pacific%20%20poker"&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=1364538&Search=true&wh ere=bodysub&Name=16900&daterange=1&newerval=12&new ertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post136571 4).

It is certainly food for thought. BUT, 35/hands per hour is an exageration, though they are slower than other sites. Yes, the inability to multi-table sucks. Still, the competition is so soft, why not have a Pacific window open along with your other windows? It will likely be your most profitable one. So what if their policies suck?

Not trying to bring you back, of course -- just explaining my own thinking. Who knows, though, I may get sick of it -- I have an awful lot of disconnects on that site.

gm

AngryCola
12-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Letters like this one (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1367823&page=&view=&s b=5&o=) and this one. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1364538&page=&view=&s b=5&o=)

Dave H.
12-15-2004, 11:05 PM
shudder!! I'll take both of your advice(s?) to heart. I'll give myself another week or so where I'm at and then try it. Thank you both for your vote of confidence.

What's your address in case I fail? I need to send it to Guido.

AngryCola
12-15-2004, 11:09 PM
URL madness gm! That link is huge!

I posted the link in a reply to Dave just now.

But you are right.. their games are incredibly soft. I do kind of agree with you that it may be worth the hassle.
But I just can't bring myself to do it. I have one other gripe too. (surprise) /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The preflop % on the table menu aren't really that accurate. I heard today that they use a loooong time sample to jack up the numbers. As in, if someone was playing heads up for awhile, the system uses that information for a long period of time.

However, that kind of practice against winning players from them is just really off putting to me. It shows me they have no clue how to run a poker site.
Sometimes a guy just has to make a stand with his money. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

AngryCola
12-15-2004, 11:12 PM
You will be surprised. The play is not much different.

Good luck, and PM or e-mail me if you have any questions. My e-mail addy is on my profile.

Dave H.
12-15-2004, 11:15 PM
Good grief!...THANX!!

gaming_mouse
12-15-2004, 11:16 PM
Sometimes a guy just has to make a stand with his money.

Yeah, I can see that. On the flip side of such tacky stinginess, they sometimes offer the best promotions of any site I've seen. About a month ago, if you "referred a friend," the friend got $50 and you got $150. I just created a new account at different address.

gm

Dave H.
12-15-2004, 11:25 PM
Looks like I'd better visit the zoo more often, huh?

Dave H.
12-15-2004, 11:50 PM
Knew you were bright; shoulda guessed you were sneaky too (lol)!

I assume you still play from the same IP address, but you just use a different username and then set up your real money home address differently?

What about your cashouts (haven't done that yet), i.e. wouldn't they spot the same NetTeller (or whatever) account, or do you just have them send you a check or ??

Hey, you and Angry Cola are both great teachers! Thanx for all the time you've given to me personally. I really do appreciate it.

There are others who have helped me too, but you two stand way out.

gaming_mouse
12-16-2004, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I assume you still play from the same IP address, but you just use a different username and then set up your real money home address differently?

What about your cashouts (haven't done that yet), i.e. wouldn't they spot the same NetTeller (or whatever) account, or do you just have them send you a check or ??

[/ QUOTE ]

I have them send a check. I actually use two seperate addresses -- one of the accounts is a friends address. He cashes the check and then writes me a personal check. There is probably an even sneakier way to do it, but this works fine for me.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, you and Angry Cola are both great teachers! Thanx for all the time you've given to me personally. I really do appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anytime.

Cheers,
gm

Dave H.
12-16-2004, 11:24 AM
But you play (with different username) from the same computer at YOUR home, is that correct?

How long does it take for a check to get to you after cashout?