M2d
12-15-2004, 05:58 PM
DePodesta? your move.

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 06:09 PM
isn't AJ like a total douche bag?

hutz
12-15-2004, 06:15 PM
That's the impression I have of him from various news reports. Substantively, I believe I read that he's the only guy in baseball history to have two seasons in which he was hit by more pitches than he received unintentional walks. He even takes pride in the fact he doesn't walk. It's therefore doubtful he will find himself signing a contract with Oakland.

offTopic
12-15-2004, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's the impression I have of him from various news reports. Substantively, I believe I read that he's the only guy in baseball history to have two seasons in which he was hit by more pitches than he received unintentional walks. He even takes pride in the fact he doesn't walk. It's therefore doubtful he will find himself signing a contract with Oakland.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would he sign with Oakland? They just acquired Jason Kendall to replace Damian Miller.

offTopic
12-15-2004, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
DePodesta? your move.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a Giants fan, all I can say is, "Go for it!" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

M2d
12-15-2004, 06:43 PM
As a Dodgers' fan, so do I. he may not be the greatest backstop around, but he's heads and shoulders above what they trot out there currently. plus, he can swing it a little. recently, the dodgers catchers have been weaker bats than their pitchers.

offTopic
12-15-2004, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a Dodgers' fan, so do I. he may not be the greatest backstop around, but he's heads and shoulders above what they trot out there currently. plus, he can swing it a little. recently, the dodgers catchers have been weaker bats than their pitchers.

[/ QUOTE ]

27 GIDP on offense and 7 PB on defense...you've been warned.

hutz
12-15-2004, 07:19 PM
It was a "Moneyball" reference because the A's as an organization (Boston, too, among others) highly value guys with high OBP. A non-walker like AJ is unlikely to end up in such an organization. Sorry if my reference was too esoteric for you.

M2d
12-15-2004, 07:27 PM
the catchers currently on the Dodgers' roster are:
Russell Martin
David Ross
Tom Wilson

I think Engleberg has more pop than the three of them combined.

offTopic
12-15-2004, 07:46 PM
The reference wasn't too esoteric, it just didn't make any sense to me from a baseball perspective, since the OP specifically named the Dodger GM (also a Beane disciple)...I would've thought, "...unlikely to sign with the Dodgers..." would be more apt, but whatever. Carry on.

MrFeelNothin
12-15-2004, 08:01 PM
As a Twins fan, I think all you SFers give AJ a bad rap. He was a great clubhouse guy and team leader in MN, or so it appeared.

sthief09
12-15-2004, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was a "Moneyball" reference because the A's as an organization (Boston, too, among others) highly value guys with high OBP. A non-walker like AJ is unlikely to end up in such an organization. Sorry if my reference was too esoteric for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

DePodesta is a Dodger now Lionel

sthief09
12-15-2004, 09:11 PM
dude can rake for a catcher and plays decent defense. if they can take Milton Bradley and somehow make a team leader out of him, they can take Pierzynski

hutz
12-15-2004, 09:56 PM
I know where DePodesta's working. Take a look at the Dodgers' team stats for last year. Their entire roster had only slightly more walks than Bonds had by himself. That's an exaggeration, I know, but DePod is in grave danger of being excommunicated from the Moneyball religion. His flirtation with trading young talent for a soon-to-be-very-expensive Tim Hudson is hardly Beane-ish, either. Yeah, he's got a bigger budget than Oakland, but still . . . .

hutz
12-15-2004, 09:59 PM
See my reply to sthief's post. I know/knew DePodesta's a Dodger, but he hardly followed the Moneyball philosophy last year. I just snapped off a quick reply in my first message (it was written while I was supposed to be working), so I didn't fully flesh-out my thoughts. Anyway, this dead horse has been flogged so much he won't have to undergo any further tenderization once he reaches the dog food factory. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

sthief09
12-15-2004, 10:14 PM
your initial post looked an awful lot like you thought DePodesta was still with the A's, hence my post. no more of this thread. I'm way too confused

offTopic
12-15-2004, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a Twins fan, I think all you SFers give AJ a bad rap. He was a great clubhouse guy and team leader in MN, or so it appeared.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect that, unless Matheny has a career offensive year (unlikely, especially in SBC) every Giants fan will be missing Pierzynski's 77 RBI.

However, he's, IMO, an astroturf hitter...he hits a lot of hard ground balls, many of which probably scooted through the infield in Minnesota, but hang up and end up outs (or worse, double plays) on natural grass. Couple that with the fact that he's got a weak arm, doesn't block pitches well, and sometimes doesn't catch pitches well (7 PB) and I don't think he'll be missed THAT much.