PDA

View Full Version : AJ in EP

dfscott
12-15-2004, 05:27 PM
I felt like I misplayed this and my thought process was suspect as well. Feedback on all streets welcome.

Fairly tight table, which is why I decided to open-raise (I'll sometimes limp in EP). MP3 seems pretty straightforward.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

This raise screamed Q to me, but I didn't feel like I could fold for one bet and he might just have an 8. Best case, he's putting me on AK or AT and just pushing back.

River: (8.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Now the 8 scenario makes me want to throw up, but again, I couldn't see folding this pot for one bet.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

sfwusc
12-15-2004, 05:55 PM
First off, Get rid of the Clemson Tiger Paw /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I question now if AJo is a raise in EP. I do it too, but I wonder if that is EV+.

I think AJ can fold to the reraise on the turn.

Qx has AJ dead.

It isnt one more bet. It is two, since AJ knows it will be calling another one on the river.

OT again, It really sucks about us both not going to a bowl. The whole thing got out of hand.

SFWUSC

witeknite
12-15-2004, 05:56 PM
This is a craptastic spot to be in, I agree. I think I would call the turn raise as well, but when the second eight falls I don't you are ahead the 10% needed to call. He would have had to be raising the turn with A-high, a weaker J, or a PP TT or lower for you to be ahead.

I know MP3 just posted, but did you have any prior info on him?

WiteKnite

Lost Wages
12-15-2004, 05:57 PM
I think the presence of the poster makes the PFR mandatory. Th rest I think is fine as well. Obviously the 8 on the river isn't a good card for you but he could have a Jack, pocket pair, or just be trying to push you off AK. Player's get a lot trickier when it's headsup.

Lost Wages

dfscott
12-15-2004, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know MP3 just posted, but did you have any prior info on him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, never seen him before (and I have a 6MB notes file to draw from).

witeknite
12-15-2004, 06:11 PM
Dang. That's a prodigious amount of notes. How big is your HH DB? BTW, you were the first 2+2'er I recognized since moving to party. To bad you spilt when you did. That table got real fishy soon after you left.

WiteKnite

dfscott
12-15-2004, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First off, Get rid of the Clemson Tiger Paw /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never!

[ QUOTE ]
I question now if AJo is a raise in EP. I do it too, but I wonder if that is EV+.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't seem to make a lot of difference -- it seems to be about 50-50. I'll generally limp on more loose-aggressive tables to see where the more powerful cards are. If it's tight-passive, I'll raise and see if I can get it heads-up (or even steal the blinds).

[ QUOTE ]
It isnt one more bet. It is two, since AJ knows it will be calling another one on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but I follow the Miller mantra of "don't fold to a raise on the same street that you bet." Maybe I take that a bit too far...

[ QUOTE ]
OT again, It really sucks about us both not going to a bowl. The whole thing got out of hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[remainder of post is OT] True, although after the high of beating Miami and then the lowest low of losing to Duke, I wanted to throw up. It pretty much made our bowl choices suck.

I don't understand how it got so out of hand, either. I was really shocked that neither coach/coaching staff could control their players. It was embarrassing for both teams.

dfscott
12-15-2004, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dang. That's a prodigious amount of notes. How big is your HH DB? BTW, you were the first 2+2'er I recognized since moving to party. To bad you spilt when you did. That table got real fishy soon after you left.

WiteKnite

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an existing notes file that a helpful soul tossed my way when I started having trouble at 2/4.

I was borderline on that table -- my gametime window had it just below my VP$IP threshold and when I raised my pocket Queens from the BB and only got two callers that both folded to my flop bet, I decided it was time to move on.