PDA

View Full Version : What are the odds of a lightpole snapping at it's base for no.......

wacki
12-15-2004, 04:48 PM
apparent reason, and smashing into your car. Why do I ask? Because it just happened to me.

bosoxfan
12-15-2004, 04:56 PM
pic?

wacki
12-15-2004, 05:27 PM
I will post some later tonight. I have to take pictures for legal reasons anyway.

stabn
12-15-2004, 05:37 PM
I would say close to zero, that sounds pretty crazy. No one ran into it and knocked it onto your car or anything? No earthquake?

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
apparent reason, and smashing into your car. Why do I ask? Because it just happened to me.

[/ QUOTE ]wtf /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 05:43 PM
damn, that hella sucks.

I feel like an ass because I want to see the pics really bad. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

elwoodblues
12-15-2004, 05:46 PM
Just a suggestion, buy a disposable camera and use "film" pictures (not digital.) I have heard from some people that insurance companies don't like digital pictures. You might want to ask just to make sure.

jakethebake
12-15-2004, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are the odds of a lightpole snapping at it's base for no apparent reason, and smashing into your car. Why do I ask? Because it just happened to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Anyone else think it has something to do with wacki's driving with his head up his ass? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

benfranklin
12-15-2004, 05:58 PM
I believe some light poles are designed to snap if hit hard enough by a car, as a safety feature. If a pole was hit before, not hard enough to snap it, it might not take a lot more to snap it.

But somehow, I think there's more to this story than we have heard /images/graemlins/blush.gif

wacki
12-15-2004, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would say close to zero, that sounds pretty crazy. No one ran into it and knocked it onto your car or anything? No earthquake?

[/ QUOTE ]

I woke up and went out to the parking lot. There was my car with a nice dent in the side and in the trunk. Laying next to my car was a 2-story tall wooden lightpole used to illuminate the apartment parking lot. That's all I know. I will look at the lightpole and see if it was hit at the base or rotten. Considering it's location, I doubt someone hit it.

Benal
12-15-2004, 06:15 PM
karma?

Aces McGee
12-15-2004, 06:47 PM
Probability (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=probability)

-McGee

Rick Nebiolo
12-15-2004, 09:01 PM
You're probably just running bad /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ Rick

bosoxfan
12-15-2004, 09:20 PM
i would like to apologize, as i was the first to reply and asked for a pic instead of saying sorry to hear that.

wacki
12-15-2004, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Probability (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=probability)

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It was a rhetorical question Errol. What have I told you about thinking?
-Brick Top

[/ QUOTE ]

On second thought, it would be interesting to see what kind of replies I would get in that thread. Goody gumdrops.

Well, I'm off to buy another Johnny Cash CD, a 12'er of Guiness, and then I'll post some pics. They'll be up within an hour.

wacki
12-15-2004, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i would like to apologize, as i was the first to reply and asked for a pic instead of saying sorry to hear that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I'm not that sensitive. Don't worry about it. I actually think the whole thing is kind of funny.

The apology is appreciated though.

Onaflag
12-15-2004, 09:39 PM
It really is a bummer, but I don't think it will happen again any time soon. I agree with the "running bad" reply. Your "parking lot" selection strategy needs work. How many truly "bad" cars were also in the parking lot? Maybe you were simply outclassed. You didn't mention if you had a read on the other cars. Plus, this sample size is just too small. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

GL with the insurance mafia.

Onaflag.........

MMMMMM
12-15-2004, 10:25 PM
Almost anything can happen once. The real question is what are the odds of it happening twice.

wacki
12-15-2004, 10:54 PM
http://parazen.bio.indiana.edu/lightpole.jpg

http://parazen.bio.indiana.edu/roof.jpg

http://parazen.bio.indiana.edu/trunk.jpg

Peca277
12-15-2004, 11:22 PM
I dunno... it looks like the lightpole won.

Ray Zee
12-16-2004, 04:09 AM
looks like the pole was set on or in concrete. posts set that way rot out easily. this one in the picture is destined to go down as well. the developer put this in not the telephone company or power comany as they are smarter than this.

wacki
12-16-2004, 06:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
looks like the pole was set on or in concrete. posts set that way rot out easily. this one in the picture is destined to go down as well. the developer put this in not the telephone company or power comany as they are smarter than this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I checked the remains of the lightpost that was left in the ground and it was infested with dry rot. When you say in or on concrete is that a typo? I thought setting a post in concrete was bad, but setting a post on concrete with a metal brace is good.

Also, a quick look at telephone poles shows that they extend below ground. To my knowledge they are only protected with creosote. Is this not the case? How do you protect a wood pole anchored in the ground from rotting?

AncientPC
12-16-2004, 06:14 AM
Cashout curse.

Lazymeatball
12-16-2004, 10:46 AM
light pole???? do you mean a lamp post? Is this another one of those regional colloquilisms?

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-16-2004, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
light pole???? do you mean a lamp post? Is this another one of those regional colloquilisms?

[/ QUOTE ]
WHO THE [censored] CALLS IT A LAMP POST?

daveymck
12-16-2004, 11:26 AM
They are all called lamp posts in the UK.

On a road near my house one did the same thing due to metal fatique unfortunatly it fell on someones car that was moving and killed the guy.

Lazymeatball
12-16-2004, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the picture, it is clearly designed to resemble an olde fashioned style lamp. Also note that poles are circular, while this is a square post. I've heard of telephone poles, never of light poles.

jakethebake
12-16-2004, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Who the [censored] calls it a lamp post (a lamp sits on my nightstand) OR light pole? It's a street light!!!

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 11:56 AM
I would have to agree, this is more of light pole. A lamp post is something people have in their front yards.

Joe Tall
12-16-2004, 12:13 PM
I checked the remains of the lightpost that was left in the ground and it was infested with dry rot. When you say in or on concrete is that a typo?

Spalled is more like it. Concrete spalls, or, simply, cracks. I assume the rebar withing was rusted heavily? If the pole is more than 10 years old w/out paint or repair, it was destined to fail. If it is less than 7 years, it's a design failure which could score you some serious $$.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Lazymeatball
12-16-2004, 12:26 PM
I think lamp posts are also used in streets, but more often in old european cities with history. Anything in someones lawn is definitely a lamp post. After a quick google image search I would have to conclude that either term is acceptable for the fixture in the picture given. I've just never heard the term "light pole" before, it just sounds awkward to me.

Joe Tall
12-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Lazymeatball, my friend.

Yes, yes, lamp post.

Peace,
Joe Tall

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 12:29 PM
yeah I suppose it is sort of post-like, either is acceptible IMO.

jakethebake
12-16-2004, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lazymeatball, my friend.

Yes, yes, lamp post.

Peace,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]
Street Light!!! Street Light!!! Street Light!!!

Lazymeatball
12-16-2004, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lazymeatball, my friend.

Yes, yes, lamp post.

Peace,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]
Street Light!!! Street Light!!! Street Light!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Strret light? you are way off base here, first off, we are discussing the entire post, not just the fixture on top. Second of all...... Damn, I was going to continue on with my rebuttal but realized that I'm getting way too worked up over this very lame nitpick. How long until NFL playoffs and OOT becomes interesting again?

wacki
12-16-2004, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Spalled is more like it. Concrete spalls, or, simply, cracks. I assume the rebar withing was rusted heavily? If the pole is more than 10 years old w/out paint or repair, it was destined to fail. If it is less than 7 years, it's a design failure which could score you some serious $$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rebar??? I didn't see any rebar in the stump.

wacki
12-16-2004, 07:26 PM
http://parazen.bio.indiana.edu/streetlight.jpg

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 07:29 PM
that is one rotten pole man.

stabn
12-16-2004, 07:47 PM
That does not look like it was set right at all.