PDA

View Full Version : Desktop crashed - anybody help with a way to start up w/error?

dogmeat
12-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Hey - I had a crash while trying to fix a bug when playing Pacific Poker. I got an error reading and dropped from the internet several times "error with dibeng.dll", so I went to microsoft and they had a page that said to change to standard display adapter (VGA) and reboot.

I did this an now get an immediate error upon reboot that says Error: oe:0177:BFF8E64B and when I press a key I go in a loop and we reboot and get here again, or it goes to a new screen that says: MMTASK has cause a general protection fault in KRNL386.exe

I'm lost. Can anybody help me here?

Thanks,

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/heart.gif

wayabvpar
12-15-2004, 03:32 PM
Boot to safe mode. There is box to check or uncheck somewhere in your system info to prevent automatic reboots when there is an error (for XP Pro, it is under My Computer/System information/Advanced tab/Settings button- uncheck 'automatically restart'). That will get you out of the reboot loop, and you can start to troubleshoot the .dll error.

Another option would be to roll back your system via the system restore function to a few days ago. That might clear it up as well.

dogmeat
12-15-2004, 03:41 PM
Thanks, but I can't get anywhere to change to "safe mode", I'm stuck in a loop. Also, I picked up a virus (McAfee sucks) that hijacked my web page startup. I got that fixed, but now I can't use the system restore, so I can't remove this trojan.

Is there a way to get to safe mode, or system before it gets to these error pages? After pressing the boot button can't you press a function key or combination to go to safe mode?

mcozzy1
12-15-2004, 03:51 PM
Yeah. It depends on your operating system. It's probably F2, F5 or F12 key. As soon as you power the computer on, just tap on the F2 key.

It looks like your computer is in rough shape. There might even be some viruses that you don't know about. They can get pretty deep. When you get it booted, you might want to back up your data and re-install the operating system.

JPNet
12-15-2004, 03:51 PM
As soon as windows begins it's startup, try F8

dogmeat
12-15-2004, 04:04 PM
Well, F8 was the key - and it takes me to safe mode. Thank you! However, I still wind up going to scandisk and then the error page....

I do have a recovery disk, but then I lose everything on the computer....... I may need to call in some help locally.

Anybody else have any ideas?

Thanks,

lorinda
12-15-2004, 04:23 PM
potential help (http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=401359)

Warning: I know nothing about computers, or about the site I've linked to.

Lori

dogmeat
12-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Thanks, I'm up and running again. I'm going to register with Lorinda's "group" and find out about this freaking trojan I have...........

Yads
12-15-2004, 04:33 PM
This sounds like a hardware issue. Most likely the driver you installed is no good. Your best bet is to blow away your system. When you've cleaned it and installed windows make sure you start behind a firewall when you connect to the internet (if you're connected to a router you should be fine).