PDA

View Full Version : JJ on the bubble vs. chip leader?

partygirluk
12-15-2004, 01:45 PM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG (t1940)
Button (t1345)
SB (t7575)
Hero (t2640)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t425</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero?

Hero has been playing the big stack well. Nice and aggresive (but not maniacal), but has shown the ability to fold when played back at. Am I in push or fold terrirory here? What do I need to push?

PE101
12-15-2004, 01:57 PM
You're already heads-up. I'd come in with a decent size raise - not all-in. You might get a call on the raise, but a fold against all-in. Unless an overcard shows up, you're in pretty good shape.

FishBurger
12-15-2004, 02:11 PM
I would probably go allin here. You're probably a 3-1 favorite, and, if 2 overcards come and the big stack bets you will have a tough decision.

I like to get my chips into the pot when I'm likely ahead, and you are likely ahead preflop. If he calls and outdraws you, so be it. If he calls and has you beat before the flop then give the big stack credit for a well-disguised preflop bet.

Benholio
12-15-2004, 02:22 PM
This is a tough one, I'm really not sure what the best play is. I know I would probably just push allin here against an aggressive opponent, but given the stacks and bubble situation, it is probably not a great move.

If you fold here, your ICMEV is .240.
If you double up, it only goes up to .336.

I'd like to hear some others opinions on this, because I am beginning to think that calling here is the best play, and that seems totally counter-intuitive to me.

Even folding is starting to sound decent, since he is to your right and you can steal from the shortstacks each of the next 2 hands.

Mr_J
12-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Min-raised, I'd move in over the top. It's possible he min-raised as a trap but still a re-raise for me. I'm really not sure what to think since he min-raised vs 2nd largest stack. Is it possible he thinks you are weak/very tight? If not, the min-raise worries me a little and he may have something there. How large is his usual raise? Is this smaller than usual? He may be being cautious vs a decent stack and may be happy with you calling (in which case I think this is a bit weak). Looking forward to some replies from the experienced guys.

hurlyburly
12-15-2004, 04:07 PM
It's the other 2 stacks that would make me decide to just call here and bet if the flop looks good. Calling gives you the advantage, because he still can't define your hand (his raise effectively defined your hand already), but a push/reraise will either be interpreted as a resteal or a PP &gt;88 (although I'm seeing ppl making those kinds of plays with hands down to 66 a lot more lately).

There's a &gt;50% chance that you have the better hand, but if he's got 2 overs then a push is gonna get called &gt;50%, and he's seeing all 5. I do not want to show it down if I can avoid it, at least not before gaining a bigger edge.

raptor517
12-15-2004, 04:21 PM
you have JJ in a situation where the big blind is raising a very small amount, likely just trying to pick up the blinds. if he has been doing this often, this is an easy push. if he has been playing a super tight big stack, which i doubt, u can call and get away from it pretty easy, no harm done, and steal from the short stacks the next couple hands. however, i would probably push here a good 90% of the time, regardless of how the big stack had been playing. if i bust out to aq, i bust out to aq.

ColdestCall
12-15-2004, 04:25 PM
I would likely just call here and see what develops on the flop. You only have to call 225 more, which doesn't cripple your stack, and if you flop an overpair or trips you are in a much stronger position to move in. If an overcard flops, and the big stack bets with any authority, I probably let him have it.

partygirluk
12-16-2004, 02:33 AM
I pushed and he folded, claiming to have had TT. I am still very unsure about how to play this one.

betgo
12-16-2004, 03:00 AM
Push and hope the chip leader doesn't have a big pair. The chip leader is going to be making somewhat loose raises. JJ is a big hand 4-handed.

You are in bad shape against AA, KK, or QQ. You have a slight advantage against AK, AQ, or KQ. You have a significant adavantage against anything else.

curtains
12-16-2004, 05:52 AM
allin for sure