PDA

View Full Version : Should you ever fold in BB late game to min raise?

bigredlemon
12-15-2004, 01:04 PM
AKs vs 48o, you're about a 2-1 underdog.

Given the typical late game scenario, the SB folds and it's 1 BB to win 3.5BB. Even with a random junk hand, you've got the pot odds to call. Do you call, even against someone not known to steal blinds, presuming your both big stacks? It seems like at most SNGs, they'll fold it more often than not.

I guess if you're small stack, all you can do is wait for a good hand to push all in with and forgo the smaller edges?

jojobinks
12-15-2004, 01:09 PM
not enough information.

if i'm not desperate, and haven't made the cash yet, then no. pot odds aren't as important as not busting out, especially if my stack is okay and there are short stacks out there. and, with a really junk hand, there's a decent enough chance that you're way worse than 2-1. right?

if i do have chips, again, no. why would i want to play for a questionable pot odds call, if i haven't cashed yet? i think i need to protect my stack, and calling against what i think is ak or better? just bad.

if i have an average stack, i'm calling with what i think will turn me into a short stack.

unless i'm desperate, no. if i am desperate, maybe no also. wouldn't i want to be aggressive instead of calling off my chips with junk?

ghostface
12-15-2004, 01:11 PM
Whats the point of playing 48o against a minraise if you both have big stacks? You could flop a hand and still be way behind. If you are already in the money I guess you could loosen up, but what if hes raising with A8 and and the flop comes 8 high. When do you give up?

Benholio
12-15-2004, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
AKs vs 48o, you're about a 2-1 underdog.

Given the typical late game scenario, the SB folds and it's 1 BB to win 3.5BB. Even with a random junk hand, you've got the pot odds to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flaw in this, is that you are a 2-1 underdog only if you get 5 cards. Your call only gets you 3. Furthermore, you will not know if you are ahead or not the times you ARE ahead on the flop. This kind of analysis only works if the raiser is all-in.

bigredlemon
12-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the insight and what is now obvious answer guys.