PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Best Beer Country?

Skjonne
12-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Really, I just want to make my first poll. I'm bored while working late 'cause the in-laws arrived today

But feel free to discuss

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 12:49 PM
Clearly the U.S.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-15-2004, 12:52 PM
The only beer I'll drink without feeling like I've settled for whatever crap somebody has comes from England or Ireland.

The once and future king
12-15-2004, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Clearly the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your funniest post ever.

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Clearly the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your funniest post ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
I felt like saying it. To be honest with you, I really like a lot of beer, country is irrelevant. Also, I stand corrected on Newcastle. I tried it a couple weeks ago, pretty good.

Actually, I will stand by the U.S., but thats just because my favorite beers are all made within a 200 mile radius of me.

Emmitt2222
12-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Definitly Germany, most especially Oktober brau and Christmas brau, just wish I could take them home with me but they arent bottled. Belgium, Czech and Ireland beer are all close seconds. Didnt find anything special in England. The one country I liked the least with beer was Spain, their stuff sucked.

daryn
12-15-2004, 01:50 PM
i have a feeling like it should be germany or czech, but i don't have enough experience to make the call.

Iceman
12-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Anyone who answered anything other than Belgium doesn't know Belgian beers.

Leo99
12-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Pilsner Urquell is THE most overrated beer there is. Ireland has two good beers. England has a ton of good beers: Harvey's, Young's, Bass, Newcastle.... Germany makes a ton of helles, a few alts and even fewer dunkels. Viennese or Marzen Octoberfest style is good but not enough variety in Germany and no ales. US has the most variety and some of the best ales. Stoudt's, Brooklyn, Victory, Sirrea Nevada, Liberty, Sam Adams and a whole lot more. US #1, England #2.

J.R.
12-15-2004, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pilsner Urquell is THE most overrated beer there is

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, but stella artois is arguably equally underrated, at least given what I understand is the consensus concerning the rating of mass produced beers. And it is nowhere near the best belgian beer.

Your failure to even mention Belgium is the silliest thing about your post.

chabibi
12-15-2004, 02:12 PM
the fact that the US is on the list and canada isnt is a disgrace. american beer isnt even beer its just brownish water with a little carbonation. even american brands that are brewed in canada are better than there american counterparts

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the fact that the US is on the list and canada isnt is a disgrace. american beer isnt even beer its just brownish water with a little carbonation. even american brands that are brewed in canada are better than there american counterparts

[/ QUOTE ]stfu.

Q8offsuit
12-15-2004, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Chimay Grande Reserve and then everything else.

SomethingClever
12-15-2004, 02:17 PM
Portland, Oregon has more breweries than any other city in the world, including any city in Germany.

So the answer is clearly Portland, Oregon.

PhatTBoll
12-15-2004, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Canada makes some good beers, but this post is, in a word, ignorant. Don't judge all American beers by bud light and coors.

SomethingClever
12-15-2004, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Belgian beers are my favorite, too. The answer's still Portland.

Boris
12-15-2004, 02:20 PM
Belgium I think is the best for dark, heavy type beers. The Chech Republic is the best for lagers.

goofball
12-15-2004, 02:26 PM
i'll have to go with portland too.

but belgian beers are the best.

and it's not close.

Leo99
12-15-2004, 02:26 PM
I have a personal bias against Belgians. I don't like fermentation flavors and the Belgians are big on using the yeast to add the banana and clove flavors. The Trappist ales are certainly strong and flavorful. Stella Artois doesan't count as a Belgian in my mind. It's just an American lager type of beer made a little heavier for the Belgian market. Canadaian beers are the same style as American light lager. Again, a touch heavier for the Canadian market but certainly nothing remarkable. Le Fin du Mond from Canada is certainly a great Belgian style beer.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-15-2004, 02:50 PM
n/m

beerbandit
12-15-2004, 03:04 PM
i do not drink any of that fancy [censored], so i voted us -- i have had a few sifferent canadian beers and they were pretty good

cheers

jakethebake
12-15-2004, 03:09 PM
I voted U.S. just because my favorite is Shiner Bock. But the U.S. has the worst too (Miller Lite, Coors Light, Budweiser). After Shiner Bock I'd probably say Guinness though. Still, lotta good American microbrews that are better (IMO) than a lot of foreign beers people really like. I kinda think people just like the sound of saying, "American beer is pisswater. I only drink (fill in your favorite European country here) beer.

Oh yea, Orion from Okinawa is good too.

Skjonne
12-15-2004, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Clearly the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your funniest post ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the US do have an extremely large amount of micro breweries. 1,600 was the last number I heard. So the answer could easily be The US. I don't think a lot of the good US beers reach Europe though. Anchor and Brooklyn beeing exceptions

Skjonne
12-15-2004, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The one country I liked the least with beer was Spain, their stuff sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I left out Spain for a reason

San Miguel
SOL
AK Damm
Yuk

Skjonne
12-15-2004, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yes and no. As Leo99 suggests belgian breweries do go heavy on the yeast. At lot of people dislikes that. Actually I claim you have to practice to get to like belgian beers. But it's worth the effort!

Skjonne
12-15-2004, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pilsner Urquell is THE most overrated beer there is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beg to differ. It's not as hoppy as other czexh lagers but it's certainly not as anonymous as the big SIL's (Standard International Lager) like Carlsberg, Bud, Heinecken, Carling's...............

Skjonne
12-15-2004, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the fact that the US is on the list and canada isnt is a disgrace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry mate. Maybe I'm too unfamilar with canadian beers. About the only ones making it to Denmark are Labott (SIL) but then about half a year we got the series from Unibroue. Know that brewery? They make fantastic belgian style beer. Can't remember all the names but Trois Pistoles is a great Brune type and Raftman is an amber ale made on whisky malt

[ QUOTE ]
american beer isnt even beer its just brownish water with a little carbonation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like you know as little of american beers as I do of canadian /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Skjonne
12-15-2004, 06:13 PM
No votes for Scotland?

Really?

Benal
12-15-2004, 06:14 PM
mmmmmmmmm beer

buffett
12-15-2004, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I left out Spain for a reason
San Miguel

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually San Miguel is from the Philippines, but it's still a crappy beer.

My answer, though, is Belgium AND England. The best beer drink is half a glass of Lindeman's Framboise Lambic with Young's Double Chocolate Stout poured on top of it. Some people call it a Chocolate Truffle, some a Chocolate Covered Raspberry. I call it heaven.
-web

SomethingClever
12-15-2004, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some people call it a Chocolate Truffle, some a Chocolate Covered Raspberry. I call it heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blech! I call it gay! [no offense; welcome to 2+2! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif]

My favorite beers:

Alaskan Amber
Belgian Trippel-style Ale (from any pretty much any brewery)
Guinness
Fat Tire
Newcastle
Mac & Jack's African Amber

I could go on and on.....

Skjonne
12-15-2004, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually San Miguel is from the Philippines

[/ QUOTE ]

Not This one (http://www.brasseries-kronenbourg.com/_corporate_uk/marques/b_san_miguel.htm). But you're right, there is a San Miguel Brewery in the Phillippines too. Never seen any beers from them in Europe though. You're in the US, right?

[ QUOTE ]
My answer, though, is Belgium AND England. The best beer drink is half a glass of Lindeman's Framboise Lambic with Young's Double Chocolate Stout poured on top of it. Some people call it a Chocolate Truffle, some a Chocolate Covered Raspberry. I call it heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG. You're kidding of course? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

JPinAZ
12-15-2004, 07:44 PM
It's kind of hard to compare beers in the US to beers in England, Germany, Belgium, etc. You'd really have to compare the US to Europe. England has the bitters & stouts, Germany has the lagers, Belgium has the trappists, etc. Here in the US we make 'em all. And for an excellent Belgium style grand cru, go hunt down a bottle of Avery Brewing Beast (http://www.averybrewing.com). Be warned, at 18+%/vol it's not to be trifled with.

Diplomat
12-15-2004, 08:33 PM
What would make the list, Tennants?

-Diplomat

BadBoyBenny
12-15-2004, 08:36 PM
For me it is LaTrappe Quad, they don't make it any more, I think the LaTrappe monastery sold their brand to a larger brewery a few yeras ago, but this was phenomenal.

Diplomat
12-15-2004, 08:38 PM
Five years ago I'd have said Canada's Micro-brewed beer beats just about anything in the States, but now it's pretty close, since a lot of the large brewing companies bought the micro-brews up here. Major brand to major brand though, I put Canada -slightly- ahead of the US. Most UK beers destroy all of N.A. though. The best beer I've ever had would have to be John Smith's Extra Smooth...from Newcastle, I believe.

-Diplomat

ethan
12-15-2004, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Judging from the poll results, lots of people fit the above description. Their loss, because Belgian's the answer and it's not close.

Richard Tanner
12-15-2004, 08:52 PM
Been to Europe, answer (of course it varies on personal taste) is Germany, end of debate. As a bonus it's inbetween 15-20% alcohol, that'll get you blitzed. Prima!

Cody

cornell2005
12-15-2004, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pilsner Urquell is THE most overrated beer there is

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, but stella artois is arguably equally underrated, at least given what I understand is the consensus concerning the rating of mass produced beers. And it is nowhere near the best belgian beer.

Your failure to even mention Belgium is the silliest thing about your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

i HATE stella. i would vote for germany or belgium.

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 08:57 PM
Lets be honest, all the major beers in CA taste an awful lot like all the popular beers in the U.S.

None of them are really anything to write home about, but none really suck either. Their all average tasting, which is why they appeal to so many people.

Diplomat
12-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Exactly. 5 years ago it was different, but now it's sort of...meh.

There are some original ideas here and there, but no overwhelming trend.

-Diplomat

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 09:03 PM
I don't think I have ever had any Candian micro brews, so I can't really comment, but the U.S. micro's kill the majors, I would guess its like that in Canada as well.

Phat Mack
12-15-2004, 10:28 PM
I'm not trying to be contrary, but the answer is Mexico.

As for the US, for every decent boutique beer, there are a million barrels of Miller Lite.

Leo99
12-15-2004, 11:37 PM
SK,
Are you from Denmark? If so you might not fully understand the high reverance given to Pilsner Urquell by the so called "beer experts" in the US. I find the Czech beers a bit boring with too much saaz hops taste for my palate. And everyone I've tasted is skunked. Give me some good American Cascade hops.

Leo99
12-15-2004, 11:40 PM
Hmm, add some smokey, peaty taste to beer and you've got Scottish beer. Not bad but it's only one style.

Leo99
12-15-2004, 11:49 PM
In my beer cellar now:

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale USA
George Gale Xmas Ale England
Liberty Xmas Ale USA
Anderson Valley Winter Solstice USA
Wyerbacher Winter Ale USA
Liberty Xmas Ale USA
Young's Old Nick England
Ebulum Scotland
Rudolph's Reserve USA
Bell's Cherry Stout USA

Arm187r
12-16-2004, 03:58 AM
My father is from Germany and has been drinking beer for 4 plus decades. He took me to Germany when i was 16 and i got to try all sorts of beers in many different cities around the fatherland during my month and a half stay. Most were good but some were bad. The most interesting thing is even though my dad enjoys his own local brew. He believes the czech's make some of the best beer. After that trip though i didn't really like drinking miller, or budweiser. That all changed when i joined the army out of high school when i used to drink just to get drunk. Now that i'm 26 and just recently quit smoking i've taken a new found joy to drinking different beers and i found a site that had hundreds of beer ratings. I believe the highest rated beer was a belgium beer. So far I haven't found a local liquor store (twin cities) that carries belgium beers. I would really like to try them and see if they are as good as some people think. My own personal choice I enjoy a good Pilsner. I think Bitburger and Pilsner Urquell are fine beers. Some of my friends don't though. They prefer domestic, which to me even though i used to drink alot of MGD, Miller Lite, tastes so watered down, its pointless.

Just my 2 cents

Arm187r

DCJ311
12-16-2004, 04:31 AM
I havent sampled a wide variety of beers, but in my experience Belgian ales are by far the best. Even the New Belgium 1554 Ale brewed in Fort Collins is darn good. I also like English ales, as well as stouts. Samuel Smith and Young's Stouts to name a few are quite good. There are quite a few good microbreweries in the US; I am a big fan of Dogfish Head (www.dogfish.com) personally.

Skjonne
12-16-2004, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What would make the list, Tennants?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not on top of it at least. But Scotland has many great breweries:

<ul type="square">

Orkney (with beers like The Red MacGregor, Scull Splitter, Dark Island, Raven Ale) Broughton (Greenmantle IPA, The Ghillie, Border Gold) Belhaven (Robert Burns Ale, St Andrews Ale) Caledonian (Deuchars IPA, Edinburgh Tatoo Strong Ale) Isle of Skye (Cuillin Beast, Black Cuillin, Red Cuillin) Inveralmond (Lia Fail) Harviestoun (Bitter &amp; Twisted, Old Engine Oil, Navigator) [/list]

just to mention a few.

And the worst bear I ever tasted is Scottish too. Beside Tennent's Wellpark Brewery makes 'Sweetheart Stout' which is a 1.5% kind of mix between a very very mild stout and coca cola. OMG!

Skjonne
12-16-2004, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For me it is LaTrappe Quad, they don't make it any more, I think the LaTrappe monastery sold their brand to a larger brewery a few yeras ago, but this was phenomenal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right and wrong. They sold their brand to a brewery called Koeningshoeven if my memory is right, but they still make the Quadrupel. Or at least they did half a year ago when I last had that appr. 11.5% devilish beer.

Oh and it's Dutch btw.

Skjonne
12-16-2004, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not trying to be contrary, but the answer is Mexico.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

Skjonne
12-16-2004, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
SK,
Are you from Denmark?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes
[ QUOTE ]
If so you might not fully understand the high reverance given to Pilsner Urquell by the so called "beer experts" in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't even understand what reverence means but I looked it up. /images/graemlins/smile.gif As a matter of fact, in Denmark PU is imported by a Carlsberg owned company and therefore it gets a lot of space in supermarkets etc. opposed to other beers imported by small independent companies. So I think I have an idea of what you mean.

[ QUOTE ]
I find the Czech beers a bit boring with too much saaz hops taste for my palate. And everyone I've tasted is skunked. Give me some good American Cascade hops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I see your point. Those a two very different types of hop. Saaz being a very bitter hop and Cascade being very aromatic. I like both types - it just makes for two completely different types of beer

Skjonne
12-16-2004, 05:42 AM
Oh, your subject contained a question /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I think my Belgian Top 5 would be something like
<ul type="square"> Westvleteren 12 Rochefort 10 Westmalle Dubbel Maredsous 8 Westvleteren 8 [/list]

Phat Mack
12-16-2004, 06:02 AM
Do you have access to any Mexican beers?

Skjonne
12-16-2004, 06:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have access to any Mexican beers?

[/ QUOTE ]

A few but I'm sure it's not the ones you're thinking about. I've tasted Negra Modelo and Pacifico something (Clara?). And come to think of it, SOL is mexican too, isn't it? I named it a Spanish beer in another post but now I think that was wrong.

My experience tells me that warm and dry countries doesn't make very good beer. I guees they lack the tradition because they don't grow barley (needs a decent amount of water to grow) and in the old days importing malted barley wasn't as easy as today

A good example is France which actually has a number of good beers. But all the good breweries are situated in the north. In the south of France they make wine and no beer.

nicky g
12-16-2004, 07:25 AM
The answer is clearly Belgium. Germany is a forgiveable answer, though wrong nonetheless. Anyone who answered anything else, especially if they answered Ireland, needs shooting.

BadBoyBenny
12-16-2004, 09:29 AM
Good info, they stopped selling it in Pittsburgh. Has the quality stayed the same since they sold the operation?

Never knew it was Dutch, but I guess I assumed any Trappist beer is a Beligan.

The once and future king
12-16-2004, 09:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I stand corrected on Newcastle. I tried it a couple weeks ago, pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Newcastle is one of Englands most average beers. It is a Branded beer. Most of our best Beers are made by regional brewers. It is unlikely that you will ever sample there delights unless.

1. You come to the UK.

2. You find a proper Pub (In will not be called Witherspoons) that serves good beer and most importantly keeps it beer in good condition. This latter conditions is so important. The same beer in the UK can taste like nectar in one Pub and urine in an other. If you by happy circumstance find yourself in Penzance, then the Pubs to go for are in order of beer goodness are:

1. The Bath Inn
2. The Crown
3. The Pirate

The once and future king
12-16-2004, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Caledonian (Deuchars IPA)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow cant believe someone mentioned my favourite beer and you live in Denmark. You must have a PHD in Beer or Sumfink.

The best actual Pint I have drunk was in a Chezch expatriots bar in Kilburn London. They had just one Larger on Tap; Budvar. Words cant describe how superior it was to any other beer I have ever tasted.

Skjonne
12-16-2004, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good info, they stopped selling it in Pittsburgh. Has the quality stayed the same since they sold the operation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno. I never tasted it before it went comercial

[ QUOTE ]

Never knew it was Dutch, but I guess I assumed any Trappist beer is a Beligan.

[/ QUOTE ]

And so it is now. The Trappist beers are a protected brand that you only are allowed to use if a) the beer are actually brewed by the monks themselves at the monestrary and b) the monestary belongs to the Trappist order

At the moment there're six Trappist breweries:

<ul type="square"> Achel (Blond, Bruin) Chimay (Bleu, Rouge, Blanc) Orval (Orval) Abbaye St Remy (Rochefort 6, 8 &amp; 10) Westmalle (Dubbel, Triple) Sct Sixtus (Westvleteren 6, 8 &amp; 12) [/list]

Skjonne
12-16-2004, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Caledonian (Deuchars IPA)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow cant believe someone mentioned my favourite beer and you live in Denmark. You must have a PHD in Beer or Sumfink.

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/blush.gif Thanks but I don't. There isn't such a thing in Denmark, otherwise I wouldn't have studied boring economics and maths, that's for sure /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The best actual Pint I have drunk was in a Chezch expatriots bar in Kilburn London. They had just one Larger on Tap; Budvar. Words cant describe how superior it was to any other beer I have ever tasted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Budvar is a pretty easy to get beer in Denmark. Considering how bad the english brewers are at making lager, that should be the case in the UK too /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Budvar is made by Budejovicky Budvar and that brewery spends most of its time these years going to court all over Europe with the American Budweiser to settle who's entitled to the Budweiser name. The Americans wins most of them (Switzerland is the only exception I can think of right now)

The once and future king
12-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Ive had Budvar out of a bottle many times. On tap it is a different experience all together.

Do you have it on tap in Denmark? Also how much is a pint of beer there? I hear terrifying stories.

Skjonne
12-16-2004, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have it on tap in Denmark? Also how much is a pint of beer there? I hear terrifying stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Budvar is on tap quite a few places in Denmark.

A glass of beer from the tap is normally 40cl here, not a pint. A hop enriched glass of water from Carlsberg is around £3.50. Imported beer are more like £4-5

In the shops imported beer are normally around £5-6 pr. litre

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you by happy circumstance find yourself in Penzance, then the Pubs to go for are in order of beer goodness are:

1. The Bath Inn
2. The Crown
3. The Pirate

[/ QUOTE ]
These all sound pretty gay /images/graemlins/blush.gif

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The once and future king
12-16-2004, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
These all sound pretty gay

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ever come to Penzance it would give me great pleasure to see you announce this in front of all of their regular patrons, especialy at The Pirate.

How fast can you run?

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 12:01 PM
very slowly.

I can drink a lot though. Plus I am pretty big and happy. Most people can tell when I am joking. I imagine I would probably have to buy everyone a round too.

jakethebake
12-16-2004, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you by happy circumstance find yourself in Penzance, then the Pubs to go for are in order of beer goodness are:

1. The Bath Inn
2. The Crown
3. The Pirate

[/ QUOTE ]
These all sound pretty gay /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I was thinking the same thing. Is the Blue Oyster there too? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The once and future king
12-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Unknown probably brash (All yanks seem Brash to Brits) young Yank walks into very locals based pub, loudly announces in Yank accent:

"Gee your pub sure sounds Gay. Are you all a bunch of fags?"

If you cant run fast then buying everyone a beer is now your only option unless you dont want to experience socialised european style health care.

After you had got that round in though everyone would give you a second chance and Im sure youd be well in with the locals in no time. You would have to hope there are no psycho fisherman in the Pub though because they will attack tourists beeing rude on the slightest provocation.

Ten days at sea working 4 hours on 4 hours off tends to send them insane.

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 12:17 PM
no, us Yanks are smart, we would see the name of the place outside, and say "well this place sure sounds gay" and then we wouldn't go in, unless someone told me that it was actually pretty cool and non-gay.

The once and future king
12-16-2004, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yanks are smart, we would see the name of the place outside, and say "well this place sure sounds gay" and then we wouldn't go in,

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather than being smart it sounds like they would let their dumb prejeudices and fears of their own repressed rampant homosexuality /images/graemlins/wink.gif deny them the pleasure of drinking in Penzances finest Pubs.

After you had been here a while you might have come to terms with our "Gay" sounding pub names. Gay bars in the UK normaly have a name like the Pink Flamingo.

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gay bars in the UK normaly have a name like the Pink Flamingo.

[/ QUOTE ] yeah, its about the same here, I just felt like poking fun at those that you listed.

IS there a difference between a bar and a pub?

The once and future king
12-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Yes.

Bars will almost certinaly have chrome stools in them etc and be stylised/themed in some way.

Pub is short for public house. This is how a true pub will seem. A couple of large open rooms with old tatty furnishings maybe an open fire.

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 12:43 PM
oh, weird, our bars here are like pubs but better, and our clubs are like your bars.

The once and future king
12-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Theres only one thing in the world proabably the universe better than an English pub and that is an Irish pub.

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Theres only one thing in the world proabably the universe better than an English pub and that is an Irish pub.

[/ QUOTE ]do you guys sing songs in the pubs?

Leo99
12-16-2004, 01:15 PM
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok....

ThaSaltCracka
12-16-2004, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok....

[/ QUOTE ]what?

The once and future king
12-16-2004, 01:22 PM
LMAO

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

buffett
12-16-2004, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the tip on the San Miguel de Espana. Yo no la supe.
[ QUOTE ]
Lindeman's Framboise Lambic with Young's Double Chocolate Stout poured on top of it [ QUOTE ]
OMG. You're kidding of course?

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
I call it gay!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am neither kidding nor gay.
I have tried well over 1,000 beers from all over the world, and this is my favorite. De gustibus non est disputandum.
If you insist on my choosing something closer to the mainstream, then I recommend you to try Abita Turbo Dog from Louisiana.
-web

buffett
12-16-2004, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Budvar is made by Budejovicky Budvar

[/ QUOTE ]
I visited the Budweiser Brewery (or in Czech, Budejovicky Pivovar [which can be shortened to Budvar: Bud- + -var]) this summer, and I considered it to be similar to a Muslim's trip to Medina.
Their beer is now available in the U.S. again under the mark Czechvar.
-web

Phat Mack
12-16-2004, 03:54 PM
My experience tells me that warm and dry countries doesn't make very good beer. I guees they lack the tradition because they don't grow barley (needs a decent amount of water to grow) and in the old days importing malted barley wasn't as easy as today

The image of Mexico being a hot and dry country is common here in the States, too. It probably comes from movies. Although there are plenty of hot and dry places, it also has mountains and mountainous plateaus.

I'm not sure where they grow their barley. I assume they grow their own, but they've been connected to the high plains of the US and Canada by rail since at least the 1880's. Imported or not, they malt the barley in Mexico. The 1880's is also when their modern brewing industry was first developed by brewmasters immigrated from northern europe.

Of greater importance, what Mexico has in great quantities is excellent water, and a population with sophisticated palates. It may come as a shock to people whose only exposure to Mexican cooking comes from americanized fast-food restaraunts, but Mexican cuisine is as good as any in the world.

One problem with drinking Mexican beer in the states is that they have to dilute the alcoholic content in order to import it. The difference in taste between beers bought on either side of the border can be staggering, but freshness must also be a factor in this.

Negro Modelo is a good example of a darker, mass-produced Mexican beer. I only hope you were able to taste a fresh bottle. /images/graemlins/smile.gif (From your posts, I know that you understand my feelings about freshness.) NM is a favorite of ray zee, but if I were trying to influence you, I would probably give you the similar Noche Bueno.

Pacifico is a lighter beer, of the type popular in the US. OK on a hot day.

If I were restricted to drinking beer from only one country, but had no further choice as to which particular brand, I would place Mexico on the top of my list. "It's all good." Sadly, I'd probably put the US last: too influenced by mass marketing.

Skjonne
12-16-2004, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Budvar is made by Budejovicky Budvar

[/ QUOTE ]
I visited the Budweiser Brewery (or in Czech, Budejovicky Pivovar [which can be shortened to Budvar: Bud- + -var]) this summer, and I considered it to be similar to a Muslim's trip to Medina.
Their beer is now available in the U.S. again under the mark Czechvar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Pivovar it is, sorry. Pivo being the czech word for beer of course.

I really like your image of a holy trip. Just have to do it once before you die /images/graemlins/smile.gif

And now there's a third Bud on the international market. From the older private brewery Mestansky Pivovar also located in Budejovicky. It goes under the name B.B. A new gold mine for American Bud's laywers?

Skjonne
12-16-2004, 04:32 PM
You're absolutely right. I know nothing of Mexico except what I get from american television. There's a long way from Denmark to Mexico /images/graemlins/crazy.gif