PDA

View Full Version : Will the winning last?

sisyphus17
12-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Hi y'all. I'm relatively new at this, and have been only playing for about 6 months. I enjoy this game immensely, more than chess or backgammon, and I suspect it is because of the potential to win in such an intrinsically real way that feeds both my ego and my wallet.

I read intently, and am relatively intelligent, but I want to get better. Aside from reading more, how can I accomplish this? In all other aspects of my life, I have been taught by those with more experience, or at least had those who could explain difficult concepts. This game seems fraught with paranoia and secrecy at times, and I am afraid of my own ignorance in respect to revealing it to others.

As far as my own personal success in poker, I am ahead by about twice what I origially invested in my bankroll. I don't really know what other stats to keep, or how.

Being up is a good feeling, and I want it to last, but I know there is more to this game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rudbaeck
12-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Post hands in the appropriate forum and ask for feedback. Read hands as well, and really think about them. Get books with lots of hand quizzes like Middle Limit Hold'em and Improve Your Hold'em by Bob Ciaffone, Small Stakes Hold'em by Ed Miller etc.

Really think about specific hands, how you could have squeezed out another bet etc.

jojobinks
12-15-2004, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as my own personal success in poker, I am ahead by about twice what I origially invested in my bankroll. I don't really know what other stats to keep, or how.

[/ QUOTE ]

buy poker tracker. find it with a google search. it'll keep track of everything, and give you many many ways to look at your play and find weakness. it'll also help you with information about your opponents. knowing an opponent is tight is different than knowing he only raises with group 1 hands, right?

Bluffoon
12-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Also get pokertracker. This is software that gathers and analyzes data from hands you and others have played. It's useful.

Too late /images/graemlins/cool.gif