Hero (t1400)
UTG+1 (t3300)
SB (t450)
BB (t2450)

Hero is UTG with ATo

Push or fold?

Phoenix1010
12-15-2004, 03:40 PM
lol I guess it's not a terribly interesting question. I suppose I wouldn't even think to ask it if the big stack didn't have QQ and bust me out on the bubble. 80 percent of the time I think I steal the blinds here. The question is, is this a situation where I should wait for the shortstack to bust out? I firmly believe that ATo becomes a pushing hand on the bubble with less than 10BB, but does that change when you're first to act? Any response is appreciated, even if it's just 'muck, and it's not even close.'

Regards, Steve

Mr_J
12-15-2004, 03:57 PM
For me, definate fold. Whether that's the right move or not I don't know.

ColdestCall
12-15-2004, 03:59 PM
I would push here as well. You will usually pick up the blinds, and occasionally get called by the small stack (and often be a favorite to the small stack's call).

If you had about 300 more chips, or the small stack had about 150 less, or the blinds were going to be 150/300 next time they hit the small stack, I would consider folding and taking a shot at the small stack getting eliminated the next round.

Phoenix1010
12-15-2004, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would push here as well. You will usually pick up the blinds, and occasionally get called by the small stack (and often be a favorite to the small stack's call).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I was thinking this as well. I've found that short stacks in this situation are usually willing to make a last stand with weak aces, strong kings, and low pairs. I also agree that my stack is just small enough and the shorty's stack is just big enough to warrant my not waiting for him to blind out. If he doubles up once, and I let the blinds pass through me, suddenly we are on equal footing, and I have a tougher fight to get in the money. I'm still not sure ATo is worth pushing with three people yet to act, since AJ-AK and TT-AA are all possible calling hands, but I don't think it was a completely wrong play. Thanks for the feedback.

raptor517
12-15-2004, 04:28 PM
bleh, this is a tough spot. after being blinded through, you have 1100 chips, and u have to go down to 800 before the sb will be blinded out. if he doubles up in one of these instances, you have a battle. pushing with A10 under the gun is VERY fishy imo, but your getting a little short, and need to accumulate some chips. its one of those marginal situations that could go either way. your right, if u werent called and beaten, you would think it was right and not worry about it. the same question would be asked if u had 1010 right there, and got called and lost. so i say push it.

lorinda
12-15-2004, 04:34 PM
$10 this is the situation I mini-raise.

If the big stacks pick up on my weakness, then so be it, but at this level they tend not to worry about your bet size and worry about their own cards.

If someone pushes all in against me, then I go to the folding war, but this method makes sure the small stack doesnt have a free ride.

Lori