PDA

View Full Version : WCOOP hand

07-25-2002, 07:56 PM
The $300 PLH event at Pokerstars today. 42 players left, average stack just about T10k. 27 players get paid, starting at $600 flat for places 19-27, $1000 for places 10-18, and increasing step by step from there on, all the way to $26,5k in first prize.

I have 7750 in my stack, blinds are 150/300. At this point, four fifths of the pots are being raised, though of course most from mid- to late postion. A decent player makes it 900 to go (not the complete, pot-sized raise) UTG, with 5050 in his stack, starting the hand.

I pick up AsKh. What is my play?

Results to be posted.

lars

07-25-2002, 08:00 PM
Those who have seen the finishing places would probably guess correctly that I lost a bundle on this hand.

I re-raised the pot, to a total of 3150. Folded back to UTG, with 4150 left in his stack if he folds. That would leave him with about the 5th-10th smallest stack, although it was very close "down there". Still a decent shot of making the money if you ask me. What would your calling standards be if you were UTG?

Most results to be posted.

lars

07-25-2002, 08:01 PM
He had QQ, re-raised T1000 all-in and won the hand.

lars

07-26-2002, 10:15 AM
Are you behind him, or a blind?

If you're behind him, raise to about 3K and expect him to fold. He will often have a weak hand here, and is simply trying to steal the blinds before paying them. If he calls, be prepared to put him all-in on the flop, whether by calling his bet or betting his check.

If you're the blind, I would raise but maybe to about 2500. This way you can bet the flop, and he will have enough chips to maybe fold when he misses. Of course, if he reraises preflop you call.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

07-27-2002, 10:30 AM
Unfortunately i read the results before posting. I think this is one of those cases where there is not much you can do.

I would have played his hand the same way with his stack, and from your perspective there is not much you can do differently given the stack sizes.

This is just one of those times you need to hit your hand.

07-27-2002, 11:23 AM
I am wonder if I only should have flat-called. Survival is of huge importance at this stage. With almost 7k in my stack, I'd still have more than 10 shorter stacks than mine in the tournament, and I will often be able to 'safeplay' my way into the money.

The other side of the coin is that had I won the pot, I'd run my stack up to 14k and have a very decent shot at making it far in the tournament, even after using some chips (read: blinds) to safe my way into the money. Also, just smooth-calling to see the flop is making an ok situation for AK vs Queens pretty poor. I get only three cards to hit and when I do, the Queens will often get off the hand cheaply.

However, with this being an UTG raise, I should be worrying at least that I'm either looking at a crapshoot which WILL go to a showdown (ie, he won't fold) or even worse (it happens). Crapshoots should be avoided at this stage of the tournament. Is AK fold-able to an UTG raise?

The reason I played it, I suppose, is the hope that I am up against AQ (whether he folds or not), the same hand (sharing the blinds) or a pocket pair QQ or lower which he may actually release for a re-raise (Queens are tough but not impossible to drop, Jacks and Tens clear folds IMHO here).

lars

07-27-2002, 06:33 PM
I think 99 would have released to a re raise. AQ who knows, you dont csare much either way.

Calling poses some problems. If you flop an ace or king you probably make nothing, and when you miss you have to fold. You also may get bluffed out by AQ on a rag flop.

I agree with Greg, folding (or even calling) is a great way to make the money, but not a great way to win real $$$$. Sometimes you gotta play even money, you just have to win thise hands.

07-28-2002, 09:39 AM
Iīve folded A-K in similar spots in live tourneys.

Mostly becuase I "know" my oponent wonīt fold often enough to a raise (due to his style or his stack size). I think the answer is very much player dependent in this situation and I want my oponent to fold preflop at least 30 percent of the time. If he donīt do that I see no reason to play 50-50 poker right now.