PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys ever limp in late stages?

rachelwxm
12-15-2004, 10:45 AM
I generally don't limp when I have 10bb or less shorthanded (6 person or less). But sometimes opponents just like limp too much, effectively reduce my chance of stealing blinds and whenever they do fold to me, I am either in bad position or worse hands. How do you deal with late stage limpers?

Example would be 6 handed you are on button with A7-A9, or K8-KT, all relevant stack 10bb, 1 limper and I would generally fold here. Am I missing some opportunities? Should I limp with good position?

How do you handle short handed limpers in general? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

El Maximo
12-15-2004, 10:58 AM
I never limp with less than 10bb and in the late stages. Its either push or fold. I hate limpers. They really screw up my blind stealing opportunities. I would want a much stronger hand to push with once someone has limped. Im especially wary of big stack or short-stack limpers. I find they will call my pushes more frequently once they have limped in. The hands I will push with depend on the stack size of the limpers and the number of limpers. My push standards revert back to EP push standards or better. If the table is consistantly limping I will wait for a strong hand and push. Usually get at least 1 caller and double up. The one thing I never do is limp along. The flop never hits me enough to make it worth it. Ive read some posts about pushing from the BB with limpers. Ive never done this without a good hand. It may be something you want to do a search on.

ghostface
12-15-2004, 11:06 AM
I will only limp heads up. Thats with two people left and not SB vs BB.

Tosh
12-15-2004, 11:11 AM
I often open limp from the SB and bet the flop.

rachelwxm
12-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Right, I have to exclude this as a open limp since you are betting flop no matter what, right? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Runner Runner
12-15-2004, 11:56 AM
"I never limp"
"I hate limping"
"I hate limpers"

You guys should be considering all your options as poker players. There are many advantages to push or fold play when the blinds get huge compared to your stack size. But I believe there are situations where limping can be more profitable, especially if you can get involved in pots where you have position and good control over your opponents. These situations may be few and far between, but always consider all your options.

rachelwxm
12-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Could you provide some examples? Even if you have AQ and limp, if you miss flop badly, you have to fold to a bet from bb, right?

Runner Runner
12-15-2004, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Could you provide some examples? Even if you have AQ and limp, if you miss flop badly, you have to fold to a bet from bb, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

AQ is too strong, I would push with that. I am talking about situations where you have between 7 and 10 bb's, and you have good position and are facing a limper and you have a marginal but playable hand (2 broadway cards). If you anticipate being able to limp without facing a raise, and you believe you can outplay your opponents once the flop is down, I see nothing wrong with simply calling and picking up more then your fair share of pots once the flop defines your and your opponents' hands.

rachelwxm
12-15-2004, 12:51 PM
So I guess you NEVER open limp?

El Maximo
12-15-2004, 12:52 PM
Im always looking to improve and my strategy of push or fold is mainly due to my lack of experience. I dont always see the occassional profitable opportunity. I assume the strategy behind this is:

1. Every checks to you in late position and you bet and take the pot.

2. If you hit the flop you most likely have everyone outkicked. They probably would have raised or pushed preflop if the have a better hand.

3. If an A hits you proceed with caution.

betgo
12-15-2004, 12:53 PM
Heads up, I usually push or fold, but I might make a smaller raise if the blinds aren't very big. I might also limp occasionally with a marginal hand I want to see the flop with when a raise would make me too pot-committed. I might limp with a big pair if I thought I would get more action with a limp than a raise.

Benholio
12-15-2004, 01:02 PM
Shorthanded and shortstacked (< 10bb) I will only open limp if I have a big pair and have specific information on the remaining players that indicates they will likely raise, or I am tilting. I guess of all the things to do when tilting, limping with a monster isn't the most destructive heh...

One thing that I find myself doing, though, is completing the SB when there has been 1 or more limpers in the pot. Like say I have 8xBB left and button limps in, and I have KTo. I will complete here almost 100% of the time. Is this really bad or standard?

rybones
12-15-2004, 02:07 PM
I'll give you another example:

You said the limper takes away your ability to steal from the button with A,9. So you tell me, why shouldn't I limp with any two if it gets you to fold A,9. I have just bought the button for next to nuthin. I am not saying that I do this or that someone should do this, but remember (esp. all you who say you don't limp and hate limpers) limping is only a bad when you don't get away with it.

Now, what should you do with A,9 on the button when I limp?

just my thoughts,

Ryan

rachelwxm
12-15-2004, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll give you another example:

You said the limper takes away your ability to steal from the button with A,9. So you tell me, why shouldn't I limp with any two if it gets you to fold A,9. I have just bought the button for next to nuthin. I am not saying that I do this or that someone should do this, but remember (esp. all you who say you don't limp and hate limpers) limping is only a bad when you don't get away with it.

Now, what should you do with A,9 on the button when I limp?

just my thoughts,

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just getting more and more interesting. Are you advocating limping with any two UTG 6 handed to drive out button A9? I am folding A9 at button if you limp. But I am moving in top 15%-25% of hands would you call or just throw away 10% of your stack? There are 5 people to act after you and even they only move in with 10% of hands, there are 40%+ chance that you would lost 1bb without seeing the flop. And even you got to see flop, you can not always buy pot without hitting anything especially there are limpers behind you.

Benholio
12-15-2004, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But sometimes opponents just like limp too much, effectively reduce my chance of stealing blinds and whenever they do fold to me, I am either in bad position or worse hands. How do you deal with late stage limpers?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your opponents are limping way too much, you should steal their money along with the blinds.

mackthefork
12-15-2004, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I never limp"
"I hate limping"
"I hate limpers"

You guys should be considering all your options as poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limping and min raising are evil acts, people who do them should be locked in rooms with walls made of TV screens showing endless repeats of Celebrity Poker, forever. You know it makes sense. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Edit: No one is that bad (no really).

Regards Mack

rybones
12-15-2004, 03:01 PM
I am not advocating anything. Would I limp with any two from utg 6 handed? I dunno? depends on the table. From what you have said, perhaps I should? as always, it depends. It is too easy to say stack are all equall and oppents will push with top 25%. Would they really do that with a TAG limp in front of them? If my feeling is yes they would, then no way do I limp. Doh, ok maybe I do if I have a top 10% hand and other issues lead me to beleive I can make more with a limp then a raise. The important thing to think about from my last post is that the early limper will not limp if you raise him from the bb just once. Now with less than 10bb should you push? I don't know, maybe, maybe not? The reality is a simple raise might get you the pot while not risking your entire stack. If you get re-poped then you need to decide. I would hate getting re-popped, but I still think I can play 7bb and have a good shot make the money if I need to.

Again, these are just my thoughts.

RcrdBoy
12-15-2004, 03:52 PM
I see this win pots a lot. Mostly against me.

I'm thinking about trying to be less of a puss and incorporate it into my game. /images/graemlins/smile.gif