PDA

View Full Version : Is he value betting or bluffing on the river?

Mammux
12-15-2004, 08:14 AM
Single table tournament. This is a seasonal final at the local poker club, so all players are quite good. Only one prize, appx. $3000. This is an early hand, maybe round 3 or so, blinds are 100/200, stacks started at 10000. We are 9 players, but UTG is sitting out.

I am dealt black JJs on the button. UTG+1 limps, 2 folds, MP raises to 700. I miss his raise, and try to raise to 1000. When I am made aware of his raise, I have to raise to 1200 because this is the minimum allowed raise. The blinds fold, UTG+1 and MP call. Pot is now 3900.

The flop is T94, all clubs. I bet 2500, UTG+1 calls and MP folds. Turn is T of diamonds. Both check. River is 2 of spades. Pot is now 8900, UTG+1 bets 4000.

What do I do? At this point I have 6500 or so in my stack, he has 10-12.000 after his bet.

-Magnus

Apathy
12-15-2004, 08:53 AM
I think pot odds dictate a call here since I think around half of the time your opponent has the A /images/graemlins/club.gif in his hand and is bluffing, maybe more.

Do you have any read on this player, for instance if this player is aggresive with draws I would fold on the river, or if this player never slowplayed I would always call, etc.

Without a read I think its not a very hard call.

Mammux
12-15-2004, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have any read on this player, for instance if this player is aggresive with draws I would fold on the river, or if this player never slowplayed I would always call, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
I probably did not pay enough respect to my reads. He is a very good player, but loose preflop and likes his draws. In the actual hand, I called and he showed KTo (no clubs). I was crippled and never managed to recover.

-Magnus

srw5n
12-15-2004, 09:20 AM
based on that read I think you played the flop too weak, but the hand played itself.

Reading you're post I was actually more worried about a smart player playing AA.

Once you check the turn you know you're going to have to call a bet on the river unless he's given up on the hand. Further, your check on the turn may induce him to bet you into you on the river with an inferior hand (which you'd like), but you have jj which means that you'll have to fade A,Q,K if that is his holding as you read.

I think you have to call that river card getting 3-1.

just my thoughts...gl.