PDA

View Full Version : Amusing High Roller Maniac w/$20k At Empire .50/1

Withen
12-15-2004, 06:46 AM
I'm studying for a final and playing 1 table .50/1 so I don't get too bored, when my table dries up. I start looking around for another game when I stumble across this one:

http://epoxy.mrs.umn.edu/~priceaz/maniac.jpg

This guy sat down with $20K chips and, almost without fail, capped on every street with every hand. I got into the table after 15 or so hands and managed to play another 15, winning one big pot (which, I think, is the only time he didn't cap on the river, the bastard), but damn was it amusing to watch. The people at the table started freaking out.. one guy kept saying "Is that in DOLLARS?!? US DOLLARS?!? I've never even SEEN that much money before!" Eventually everyone started catching on and were playing every round. Any time one of you high rollers wants to come make a big splash in a small pond, feel free.. it was definately worth a chuckle /images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S. The guy got lucky as hell, after 30 hands, he got up with $19997.25 and said "Enjoy my $2.75!"

mistrpug
12-15-2004, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Eventually everyone started catching on and were playing every round.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope being a 2+2er, that you knew better than that...

Subby
12-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Now see, it would be more helpful if you would share this person's name so that I could put them on my buddy list /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tuco
12-15-2004, 01:55 PM
I do this alot.

After a long session or a big win, ill sit down in a 50/1 game with my roll and cover my cards with my hand and raise all streets to river, then look and see what i have. Its fun, and blows off some steam. Usually gets everybody at the table furious. After getting beats put on you for hours, its fun to be the one to make runner runner straight iwth 53o, on a AKQ flop.

Tuco.

IndieMatty
12-15-2004, 02:37 PM
This is like the 2+2 game sometimes that starts in Micro.

kiemo
12-15-2004, 03:01 PM
I do this at .01/.02 and still lose to fish with even worse hands.

snowbank
12-15-2004, 03:02 PM
"Now see, it would be more helpful if you would share this person's name so that I could put them on my buddy list"

Chances are, that wouldn't be a good idea. He's probably just steaming so he went to a small stakes game to blow off some steam. Many players do this. If he's sitting down at the .50/1 with $20,000, he didn't deposit to play .50/1. I've goofed around on Pokerstars before and sat with a few grand at the penny limit tables.

mosta
12-15-2004, 03:31 PM
I saw with $10,000 at a .50-1.00 or .25-.50 short-handed table on a lark a few days ago. The chat went silent for a moment. and then I get: "MrXXXXX, it is an honor to play with you." it still cracks me up.

Guy McSucker
12-15-2004, 04:19 PM
Not quite as impressive as when I caught TillerMaN on Stars playing 2c-4c limit hold'em with a $40,000 stack.

One million big bets, ladies and gentlemen.

Guy.

Withen
12-15-2004, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Eventually everyone started catching on and were playing every round.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope being a 2+2er, that you knew better than that...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, though I did loosen up quite a bit. It took everyone an amazingly long time to figure out what he was doing, and initially everyone was folding to his preflop raises. Risking 1 big bet preflop against a random hand to make a gauranteed 10 big bets if you hit the flop in any significant way is pretty hard to pass up, though I got pretty crappy cards. Once people started capping preflop 3-4 ways, I pretty much went back to normal, since in addition to beating the maniac's random hand I also had to beat their probably slightly more legitimate hands.

rewt75
12-15-2004, 09:11 PM
I had this happen once at the pokerroom .25/50c tables.

Two guys at the table each with well over $20K. They made sure every single street was capped regardless of their cards. I sat for less than an orbit.

In that orbit I played AA and AJo. My aces were cracked by a rivered straight(river was an ace!), and AJo made aces up on the turned jack but got taken down by something(don't remember). The two guys won both of those pots. Not only were they capping every street, but they were berating everyone along with it.

RockPile
12-15-2004, 09:29 PM
.05/.10 at pacific.. even worse the guy insults the whole table with his name! haha

http://www3.telus.net/diabolic/bigshot.GIF

MicroBob
12-15-2004, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One million big bets, ladies and gentlemen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally this shoulud be sufficient to withstand the variance that is inherent to the game.
But, if you should happen to have a bad losing slide of 200k BB's or so then that is really going to eat into your roll and perhaps put you on tilt.
If the tilt leads to another set-back of 100k-200k BB's then I would recommend stepping down a level to re-gain confidence in your game.

Good Luck!!!

fimbulwinter
12-16-2004, 04:43 AM
I do this all the time at the PP 7stud low-limit tables. way more fun that a bunch of high-strung holdem players.

fim

Michael Davis
12-16-2004, 05:10 AM
You can't loosen up here unless you actually get to threebet the maniac preflop and other people are folding. Otherwise, it simply costs too much money to see the flop without a premium holding.

-Michael

mosta
12-16-2004, 10:16 AM
why would you run from the best game ever??