PDA

View Full Version : afterlife considerations.

dr. klopek
12-15-2004, 04:38 AM
I have heard it suggested by some of those who believe in an afterlife that the dead are aware of the living. That the dead can watch us, and are aware of what is happening to us in our lives.

With this in mind, do they see they way the world of the living changes and adapt themselves accordingly? Are they aware of the current attitudes and social climate? Do you think this applies to fashion?

Is Jimi Hendrix, in heaven, right now, wearing a Sean John hoodie? Does he have a gold chain around his neck? Is Marcus Garvey calling him "nigga?"

These matters perplex me. If this is the case, if I die, I'd like you all to try to bring back hypercolor.

eric5148
12-15-2004, 05:00 AM
Please send me whatever you've been smoking.

BusterStacks
12-15-2004, 05:04 AM
I am more inclined to side with the logical view of the afterlife. There is none.

A_C_Slater
12-15-2004, 05:17 AM
I certainly hope my dead Grandmother isn't watching me when I masturbate. That just ruins it.

dr. klopek
12-15-2004, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I certainly hope my dead Grandmother isn't watching me when I masturbate. That just ruins it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, she's down.

AngryCola
12-15-2004, 05:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am more inclined to side with the logical view of the afterlife. There is none.

[/ QUOTE ]

That isn't necessarily the logical side. The logical side is that humans have a wacked out concept of what an "afterlife" would be. There is much humans do not yet understand about the universe.

I don't necessarily believe in an "afterlife", but I am smart enough to know humans haven't advanced far enough to understand many conepts of reality. For me, this is like my take on god and religion. I don't know, and anyone who says they know for sure is probably misinformed, lying, or delusional.

BusterStacks
12-15-2004, 05:48 AM
how is what I said not the logical side? What has given you any indication whatsoever that there would be something other than no afterlife?

AngryCola
12-15-2004, 06:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how is what I said not the logical side? What has given you any indication whatsoever that there would be something other than no afterlife?

[/ QUOTE ]

What has given me any strong indication otherwise? Nothing you can provide me with, that's for sure. I've searched for these things many times.

The point is that we don't even understand most of the universe/reality at this point in our history. We do not understand dark matter, or the way quantum physics fits with gravitational theory. These are significant concepts.

I'm not saying that has anything to do with a possible afterlife, but they do represent the significant aspects of the universe we do not understand. Thinking humans already possess the knowledge required to nail down something like this in our short lived society is wishful thinking.

There is no strong evidence being offered by humans that will slant my thinking to a "yes" or a "no" answer on an after-life. Maybe someday science will have evolved far enough to present some solid evidence on the nature of life and the universe, but I'll probably be dead by then.

brassnuts
12-15-2004, 06:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] What has given me any strong indication otherwise? Nothing you can provide me with, that's for sure. I've searched for these things many times.

The point is that we don't even understand most of the universe/reality at this point in our history. We do not understand dark matter, or the way quantum physics fits with gravitational theory. These are significant concepts.

I'm not saying that has anything to do with a possible afterlife, but they do represent the significant aspects of the universe we do not understand. able to nail down something like this in our short lived society is wishful thinking.

There is no strong evidence being offered by humans that will slant my thinking to a "yes" or a "no" answer on an after-life. Maybe someday science will have evolved far enough to present some solid evidence on the nature of life and the universe, but I'll probably be dead by then.

[/ QUOTE ]
Trying to prove that something does not exist is damn near impossible in many situations. But, ask yourself, "What is more logical?" Everything we can observe tells us that conscious thought and our sentience is nothing more than an effect produced by a massive array of electric signals in our brains. When we die, these signals stop firing and our brains eventually decay. Logic would say that there is no more "you", according to "you" after you die.

A_C_Slater
12-15-2004, 06:42 AM
The only logical answer is that it is an unknown.

Death = X.

dr. klopek
12-15-2004, 06:46 AM
Scientifically, there is no way to prove that there is no afterlife, but if we are to learn anything from all that science suggests, it is that there is no afterlife.

Homer
12-15-2004, 06:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how this is any more "logical" than there not being an afterlife.

AngryCola
12-15-2004, 06:55 AM
There are many things we do not know about the brain as well.

No matter what, you are only making assumptions with seriously incomplete information. It's still an assumption and not at all a logical deduction. I agree that, yes, by your logic it seems to make sense there will be no after-life. I have no problem with making an assumption that there is not an after-life. But an assumption is all it is.

There are far too many unknowns in this equation to come up with an accurate decision. Anything less is just an opinion, because there is much too much humans do not understand. Some of your logic was based on your senses and perception of reality. Why can't your perception be wrong? You wouldn't know if it was. None of us would.

Dogs do not see color the same way humans do. Their perception of reality is different form ours, but that doesn't mean we are living in different universes. The same concept can be extended to all perceptions of the world and the universe.

I like AC's post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1391811&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1). It states, in much fewer words, what I am trying to say.

A_C_Slater
12-15-2004, 07:00 AM
There should be no argument about this anymore. It is absurd. It's like taking an equation with X as a variable and also having X be the end sum.

22,585 + X = X

45 + X = X

No matter what number (or in this case compelling, articulate, eloquent, or rhetorical language structuring) will result in an answer. It is a mystery. That is all. More damage has been done to the entire human race than anything else imaginable because people pretend (knowingly) that they have the answer. I spit in the face of all the heaven/hell/purgatory people. They are blatant shameless liars.

Of course, since it is an unknown, they could turn out to be right. But they all know they are lying if they say these concrete/vaporous regions exist and we will all end up there in one form or another.

And yes I know faith and blah..blah..Jesus loves me...blah..blah. But this is about logic and the only logical answer regarding death is that it is a complete and utter mystery.

brassnuts
12-15-2004, 07:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There should be no argument about this anymore. It is absurd. It's like taking an equation with X as a variable and also having X be the end sum.

22,585 + X = X

45 + X = X

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless X is approaching infinity... oooooh, pretty deep, huh?

A_C_Slater
12-15-2004, 07:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

22,585 + X = X

45 + X = X

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless X = infinity... oooooh, pretty deep, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

(Keanu Reeve's intonation) Woooa...

astroglide
12-15-2004, 12:24 PM
i've always wondered how reconciliation is supposed to occur in the afterlife if somebody's spouse (that they deeply love) dies and they remarry/relove and have kids.

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]there is no proof that is more logical, but then again, there is no proof there is an afterlife.

For those that believe there is one, they use it to comfort themselves, which is fine IMO.

Who really knows though, haven't you ever thought about it? I think maybe a lot of us hope there is one, because living is so much fun, so hopefully there is something resembling life(or atleast the feelings life gives) after death.

jakethebake
12-15-2004, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i've always wondered how reconciliation is supposed to occur in the afterlife if somebody's spouse (that they deeply love) dies and they remarry/relove and have kids.

[/ QUOTE ]
Threesomes forever!!!

ArchAngel71857
12-15-2004, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly hope she still watches me as she liked to do when she was alive.

-AA

M2d
12-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Maybe there's polygamy in the afterlife

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-15-2004, 05:47 PM
The afterlife is EXACTLY like in the movie heart and soul.

jakethebake
12-15-2004, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was hoping it was more like "Debbie Does Dallas".

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-15-2004, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

22,585 + X = X

45 + X = X

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if there are an infinite amount of numbers between 1 and 2, and the same for 2 and 3, then what about between 1 and 3?

BusterStacks
12-15-2004, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

22,585 + X = X

45 + X = X

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if there are an infinite amount of numbers between 1 and 2, and the same for 2 and 3, then what about between 1 and 3?

[/ QUOTE ]

also infinite. duh.

felson
12-15-2004, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to comment on the thread as a whole, but here's the Christian belief on this point.

"At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven." (Matt 22:30)

To see passage in context, read Matt 22:23-33.

http://tinyurl.com/4d9nd

rusty JEDI
12-15-2004, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
These matters perplex me. If this is the case, if I die, I'd like you all to try to bring back hypercolor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am currently in my practicum for middle school education. In my grade 8 science class for some reason i started explaining hypercolour t-shirts and one kid was like. Wow, thats so cool when do they come out?

rJ

AngryCola
12-15-2004, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In my grade 8 science class for some reason i started explaining hypercolour t-shirts and one kid was like. Wow, thats so cool when do they come out?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's hilarious. Maybe the folks behind hypercolor will get wind of this and decide it's time for a comeback.

PhatTBoll
12-15-2004, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer the Defending Your Life portrayal of the afterlife.

AngryCola
12-15-2004, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I prefer the Defending Your Life portrayal of the afterlife.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad movie. I think it's one of the best movies Albert Brooks has done.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-15-2004, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

22,585 + X = X

45 + X = X

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

also infinite. duh.

[/ QUOTE ]

not 2infinite?

A_C_Slater
12-15-2004, 07:53 PM
I like the terrorist jihad muhammad martyr whatever faith in the afterlife. 47 (or some strange yet obscene number of women)virgins who love only you. Eternal orgies. No wonder they're willing to blow themselves up. Do they really believe their ding dongs will work in the afterlife? This is a world view that people believe in on a mass scale. This is why the WTC was destroyed. Those horny bastards wanted their 47 virgins. Perverts.

BadBoyBenny
12-15-2004, 07:55 PM
If this is true, then when I die, I'm going to watch women shower all day.

A_C_Slater
12-15-2004, 08:02 PM
I wonder if these virgin's had earth lives? Does Muhammed make them materialize out of thin air when the martyr returns to his "true" home? Or are there whole crops of virgin girls in the Middle East who save themselves for the afterlife and a future martyr husband?

Richard Tanner
12-15-2004, 08:41 PM
Let me rewrite your post in a little different context:
1300ish-"THe world must be flat, look out there, see how it stops, that must mean that when you sail over it you fall off the earth, that's the logical answer."

I'm not making fun of you, I'm just saying that too assume an ultimate answer to an as yet unprovable question is akin to calling the world flat only to later have to recant.

For the record I don't believe in an after life, but I have no idea what actually happens, I very easily could be wrong.

Cody

A_C_Slater
12-15-2004, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let me rewrite your post in a little different context:
1300ish-"THe world must be flat, look out there, see how it stops, that must mean that when you sail over it you fall off the earth, that's the logical answer."

I'm not making fun of you, I'm just saying that too assume an ultimate answer to an as yet unprovable question is akin to calling the world flat only to later have to recant.

For the record I don't believe in an after life, but I have no idea what actually happens, I very easily could be wrong.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you speaking to me? If you are you basically just said what I've been saying verbatim. Didn't I say it was an unknown factor like 50 times? And the flat Earth people were not really applying logic. "The Earth is flat" is a dogmatic assertion upheld by the church and brute force. Many educated people in the 1300's knew the Earth was round. The Ancient Greeks ( 300 B.C. educated nobility, not the commoners) knew that the Earth was round. This information was lost in the dark ages and suppressed by the church. But curious logic thinking intellectuals always knew the Earth was round. It was not something you made public, unless you wanted to be burned alive.

AngryCola
12-15-2004, 08:57 PM
I'm pretty sure he was responding to "brassnuts". That would seem to make sense.

Richard Tanner
12-15-2004, 08:57 PM
I was speaking to the post to which I replied. But you are correct, I do agree 100% with what you've said.

Cody

A_C_Slater
12-15-2004, 09:04 PM
The meaning of life is to prepare for death --Plato /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Duke
12-15-2004, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Underrated movie. I hate everything, and I liked it.

~D

A_C_Slater
12-15-2004, 09:07 PM
The meaning of death is to prepare for life -- Plato /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif