PDA

View Full Version : Early tourney, hitting a set on a coordinated board

billyjex
12-15-2004, 04:22 AM
I was really confused how to play this hand. I didn't know how big too bet or if this was ever a check and fold situation. Or if I should have pushed on any street.

Blinds are 15/30. Party 30+3. I have no reads as I was moved a few hands ago.

Hero has 870 chips, SB has 1600.

Hero is MP1. UTG, UTG+1 limp. I limp w/ 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

All fold to SB who completes, BB checks.

Flop is 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

4 checks to me. I bet pot (150). SB calls, rest fold.

Turn is a lovely 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB checks, I bet 200. He calls.

River is the 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB checks, I check.

Thoughts?

Lloyd
12-15-2004, 05:25 AM
Looks good to me. I guess it's possible but I can't believe he has a made straight on the flop with T7. And I doubt that he has 99 (and even if he does there's not much you can do).

The flop bet seems right and unless he has something like a straight flush draw he shouldn't have called. Obviously, the turn card is very scary as a 7 beats you. I like the bet on the turn although you could probably get by with a little less (like T150). If you check here then you're giving up the hand and you'll most likely fold to a bet on the river. Given that his possible hand holdings include hands like 9x it would be a shame to fold. So betting on the turn might prevent him from betting on the river allowing you to check behind if you want. Clearly, with the Heart on the river it's even more scary. I think there's a decent chance you have the best hand but I'd still check behind.

All in all, IMHO, you played it quite well.

Myst
12-15-2004, 05:32 AM
Yeah many players bet the river too often. Good check behind, b/c if you bet, it wasnt very likely he would call (seeing as the Str8 + Flush draws would scare him too.

Lloyd
12-15-2004, 05:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah many players bet the river too often. Good check behind, b/c if you bet, it wasnt very likely he would call (seeing as the Str8 + Flush draws would scare him too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think betting the river is one of the most important aspects of NLHE. But you obviously want to do it when you are up against second best hand who will most likely call a small bet. Here, either your beat or the guy will be too scared to call so a check makes sense.

billyjex
12-15-2004, 06:41 PM
*bump*

Is there any other way to handle this hand?

MLG
12-15-2004, 06:50 PM
There are lots of other ways, but I don't think any of them are better than how you did it.

nightlyraver
12-15-2004, 06:53 PM
I like your play in this case...

Your pot-bet on the flop is good since that will usually function to drive out most draws. Only 3 types of players/hand will just call here: 1) A weak, passive player with top pair or maybe 2-pair; 2) A stupid player who calls on the flop w/ any str8 or flush draw regardless of pot odds; 3) A smart but passive player who has either a str8 AND flush draw or a weak pair and a strong draw. Betting the turn was fine since most of those hands probably were not helped by the 5 unless hand #2 had the 7 or hand #3 had almost exactly A /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Once the /images/graemlins/heart.gif falls on the end, you are fine to check behind the SB. Remember, when acting last only bet on the end if you feel that you will have a GREATER THAN 55% chance of being ahead IF CALLED. There are just way too many hands that will check-raise on the end like this. Also, the flush draw is more likely than the str8 draw (on the flop that is) since most players will not call a pot bet w/ a str8 draw on a 2-suited flop even if they normally would call on a rainbow flop (2 outs are counterfitted).

billyjex
12-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Cool.. I hate losing chips early in a tourney like I did with this hand, but I guess it's just one of those situations.

SB had A /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, chasing the nut flush.