PDA

View Full Version : AKs right color, wrong suit

bonanz
12-15-2004, 03:56 AM
main villain is an 'eagle'
a dice and smiley and exclamation between us

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...

?

royaltrux
12-15-2004, 04:10 AM
I would have probably 3-bet PF. I don't think the bet on the river accomplishes anything, unless your really lucky your dead.

bonanz
12-15-2004, 04:18 AM
yeah i played this hand really strangely i don't know why. usually i'll pump till the sun don't shine pf, but didn't here, but it was a conscious decision i just can't explain it.

i'm interested in flop and turn play opinions.

betting the river was the easiest part of this hand

milesdyson
12-15-2004, 04:30 AM
Reraise preflop.

And fold to a river raise. Good hand.

I wonder what people will say about the flop action. I think betting out has merit, I also think check raising the flop has merit. There's no hand protection possible in this hand, even waiting until the turn. Any big diamond is calling.

Thinking about this more, I like a flop check raise more than the line you took in this hand.

HajiShirazu
12-15-2004, 08:05 AM
Good hand.

Nick Royale
12-15-2004, 08:13 AM
Definately like flop check/raise, since that will drive out J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and bellow.

Nick Royale
12-15-2004, 08:17 AM
How is that bet easy? It won't fold a better hand and if you check most players will try to bluff you, making the call profitable. If the opponent has a worse hand (for example AQ) he'll often fold to a bet but bet if checked to.

bonanz
12-15-2004, 10:42 AM
it's called clarkmeister's theorem

theorem (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1241345&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;s b=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1)

you'll have to dig a bit to find the original discussion

JudgeRW
12-15-2004, 10:48 AM
3-bet preflop

raise the flop

pokerjunky
12-15-2004, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
3-bet preflop

raise the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

bonanz
12-15-2004, 02:08 PM
i kinda like the way i played this hand postflop.

if someone disagrees please explain rather than just post your choice of action.

bonanz
12-15-2004, 08:37 PM
okay nobody wants to talk i'll tell you why i like it.

check raising the flop isn't protecting anything. If i do, all the magoos stuck in between us are getting 5.75-1 plenty for a big diamond to call.

so i check raise the brick turn, looks like a slowplayed flopped flush, and the goo in between now gets ~4.3-1 and unless he has that king thats rough to call with a single non-nut diamond. and this move could make a hand that beats me fold for 2 bets.

with the fold and call. i'm betting the river no matter what hits.

that was my thinking, flaws? why does everyone love check raising the flop so much?

Nick Royale
12-25-2004, 10:37 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
check raising the flop isn't protecting anything. If i do, all the magoos stuck in between us are getting 5.75-1 plenty for a big diamond to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting 5.75 to 1 I would fold J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and bellow risking not winning even if I hit my flush. Don't think I'm wrong doing so. Ain't that reason enough to checkraise the flop?

so i check raise the brick turn, looks like a slowplayed flopped flush

[/ QUOTE ]

Facing the whole field with two BB cold I would sat it looks like you're maybe scared of the flush, but since you're protecting you're hand well by doing so I don't dislike it. But I think a raise on the flop protects your hand against many holdings so I would protect it on the flop. Besides, you have more draws to protect your hand from, like middle or bottom pair. All weak draws will fold to your flop c/r.

with the fold and call. i'm betting the river no matter what hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked to get to know about the Clarkmeisters theorem, but I didn't really like the post you linked to, since it doesn't explain why the bet is always correct. My stategy have always been to bet out HU when the fourth flush cards hit on the river. I think I'll fold my opponent enough to make it profitable, and in this case with a bit pot you're maybe right. But if you look at the postflop action in this hand it doesn't really look like you're drawing to a flush when you raise the turn and any decent player calls this river with 2-pair or a set. You won't fold many hands that you beat IMO, but you'll induce your opponent to bluff often if you check.

SCfuji
12-25-2004, 12:15 PM
pf: 3-bet
flop: you can either raise here or on the turn as you did. the difference, i think, is marginal.
river bet: i dont know if i check call or bet/fold to a raise. maybe since he is an eagle i would prefer check calling. villain probably wont pay out unless he has you beat.