PDA

View Full Version : JJ hand

lebowski58
12-15-2004, 02:38 AM
Home tourney 8 guys. I'm on the button and it's folded around to me. Blinds 30-60. I raise to 150 with pocket jacks. SB folds. BB calls. He and I are even with pretty average stacks.
Flop comes 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

He pushes all in. (200 less than I have)

How would you guys handle this situation?

Thanks,
Chris

ChrisV
12-15-2004, 02:41 AM
You didn't say what the stack sizes were, but it doesnt really matter. He's apparently pretty keen for me not to call, so I'll call.

Irieguy
12-15-2004, 02:42 AM
I beat him to the pot.

Irieguy

Gramps
12-15-2004, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How would you guys handle this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absent some very unique additional facts (regarding the player or payout structure/other stacks, etc.) ummm...CALL!!!! Would be an odd play to make with a hand that beats yours (as it appears from info given). Why would he put you on a monster with your "apparent looking steal raise"???

Though it helps to know just how many chips you guys have...

texasrattlers
12-15-2004, 02:54 AM
In my home game the bettor is screaming "I have J9!" Easy call.

Mr_J
12-15-2004, 03:10 AM
He probally has you on a blinds steal, and he only called preflop, so I wouldn't be looking for AA-QQ. His all-in makes me think he's trying to buy his way out of the pot. I'd call.

It is possible he called preflop with a low pair and hit the set on the flop. In that case the all-in would suggest (to me) that he thought you had a higher pair, and was trying to sucker you in. If he had flopped a set, surely he'd think an all-in would scare anything but a highish pair away. However, if he had you on a highish pair before the flop, he wouldn't have called in the first place. So I guess this one is out.

Like I said before I'd match him.

Vitaliy
12-15-2004, 03:14 AM
Of course it depends on a player who betted allin. But in general I think: if you have a low stack it is easy call. If you are a chip leader and 2nd place pushes like that I would opted to fold and wait for better opportunity. He could've hit his set on the flop.

3rdEye
12-15-2004, 03:39 AM
If he flopped a set, he'd have to be a pretty tricky player (or just a non-thinking player) to push, IF he put you on an overpair, as one would think he'd try to milk you rather than scare you off if he thought you had AQ-AK.

My guess is he has 22-99, and is trying to protect his hand against overcards. I'd call, and if he has a set or QQ-AA, then congrats to him for getting the money in on the flop.

Now that I think about it, though, QQ is a distinct possibility. I've seen a lot of players push with QQ on a rags flop fearing an A or K on the turn or river. That might scare me a little bit, but I don't think it would dissuade me from calling.

Mr_J
12-15-2004, 04:22 AM
If he had QQ surely he'd raise preflop instead of call, at least to see where he stands?

lebowski58
12-15-2004, 01:14 PM
So yeah, I call and he turns over his trip fives. I felt like there was nothing I could do other than call. Glad to hear you guys agree.

Thanks,
Chris

Mr_J
12-15-2004, 04:12 PM
"It is possible he called preflop with a low pair and hit the set on the flop. In that case the all-in would suggest (to me) that he thought you had a higher pair, and was trying to sucker you in. If he had flopped a set, surely he'd think an all-in would scare anything but a highish pair away. However, if he had you on a highish pair before the flop, he wouldn't have called in the first place. So I guess this one is out."

So match for my thoughts about the set. Out of interest, how good is this guy?

lebowski58
12-15-2004, 04:58 PM
He's not very good. He's one of those players who has tunnel vision. He's locked in his world that contains HIS cards, HIS chips and how the board helped HIM. He often misses flush and str8 draws on the board and tends to call most bets after the flop. He raises preflop with pairs but that's the only time he raises. But he calls anything. So yeah i don't think he even thought about what I had. I figured he had A9 suited and was betting with top pair.