PDA

View Full Version : Anyone need a backer?

Irieguy
12-15-2004, 01:57 AM
I am looking for a $11 or $22 PartyPoker or Empire player who posts here that is having bankroll trouble. I will stake you as long as you meet the following conditions:

1. I recognize your name from this forum
2. You have played at least 300 SNGs with an ITM% of at least 40% and have a dated spreadsheet to prove it. (I don't care what your ROI is.)
3. You can play more than 500 SNGs a month.

Anybody who thinks that players like this don't have bankroll trouble doesn't know anything about poker.

If you are interested, you can PM me. I will tell you the details then. WARNING: I remember what it's like to need a bankroll, so I know what this offer is worth. You will not be happy with my fee. The good news is that you don't pay if you don't win, so it's a freeroll. If anybody thinks that freerolling at the $11s or $22s sounds like a worthwhile proposition, let me know. My motive is two-fold and I will explain if needed.

Irieguy

pshreck
12-15-2004, 02:43 AM
Can't believe this game up, just when I registered for 6 classes at UConn (decided to return to full-time student status). I'd take the offer in a heartbeat, but don't think 500 SNG's a month will be possible until May.

Just out of curiousity... how many players can you think of on this board would qualify? More than 10?(im not including the big names who would never take this offer).

Irieguy
12-15-2004, 02:50 AM
In June I was the only obstetrician at an Army post of 15,000 people and I still played 500 SNGs... so it can be done even if you have a job or go to school.

There's a half-dozen names I can think of right away that I would be happy to back. I'll probably get more replies than that.

Irieguy

bigredlemon
12-15-2004, 04:01 AM
If a person is ITM over 40% of the time and has over 100 SNGs under their belt... would they still have a problem with buy ins?

Stoneii
12-15-2004, 04:32 AM
You could be a breakeven player with an ITM of 50%

500 SnG's @ $11 = $5500

ITM = 50% => say 40% 3rds (200 SnG's) and 10% 2nds (50 SnG's) = 200*20 + 50*30 = $5500

He's not referring to ROI just ITM

stoneii

AleoMagus
12-15-2004, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My motive is two-fold and I will explain if needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious about the two-fold motive.

Regards
Brad S

rachelwxm
12-15-2004, 12:35 PM
I heard Mark Cuban is starting a hedge fund by hiring people to gamble for him. Does this sounds similar? I think no downside risk is more attractive than bankroll.

Irieguy
12-15-2004, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm curious about the two-fold motive.

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

1. My business is getting busier and soon I will not have the time to play 500+ SNGs a month. So I want somebody to do it for me. I will start them at the $11's and help them move up as high as possible.

2. I have a scientific curiosity about what psychologic effect it would have to play with essentially zero risk of ruin. (I'm used to ruin... so it no longer bothers me very much.)

Irieguy

Irieguy
12-15-2004, 07:44 PM
Thanks to all who replied. I will post anonymous results for my backees.

I am most interested in looking at the comparison between 500 SNGs as a self-financed player vs. the first 500 SNGs as a backed player.

Irieguy

Big Limpin'
12-15-2004, 08:00 PM
I have no doubts your motives are pure and you are honestly trying to help out. But...

Its hard to make a living at $11s. Your profit comes from winnings over and above a 10% vigourish. I am not familiar with the "going rate" for backers, but even if your cut is equal to the vig, this backed player will now have even less of a profit coming from his endeavors. Knock 10 pecentage points off your old ROI right there. 35% ROI guy is now 25%. 10% ROI guy now is treading water.

Certainly, if he wasnt winning enough to live off of AND grow bankroll before, he wont be doing that now. You are creating a system of dependancy.

Just wanted to throw that in, caveat emptor to anyone taking the offer. And please dont take this as me in ANY way bashing Irieguy's generous (and i believe well-intentioned) offer. I just wanted to throw in a PSA of the reality of running under a backer.

OF course, if having Irie as a mentor improves your ROI by more than 10 percentage points, or allows you to be a big winner at a higher level, then my whole point is, of course, moot. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

morgan180
12-15-2004, 08:00 PM
This sounds like the poker apprentice. I'd want to do it just to get Irie's insight on how to move higher...hell, I'd pay for that alone.

Irieguy
12-15-2004, 08:08 PM
You are absolutely correct. But I am not at all suggesting that you make more money by having a backer than you do by NOT having one.

You give a backer a lot of money. This is an old system in the poker community. You lose egregious amounts of cash when you are backed.

BUT, you have a secure bankroll. Seems like a little thing to some people... but to others, it is everything. Is does, as you suggest, breed a cycle of dependency. But it's better than being out of the action.

Irieguy

Big Limpin'
12-15-2004, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But it's better than being out of the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats true. Especially if someone can use the backing as a short-term, springboard means to build a quick roll and then go it solo again.

I am glad i didnt offend you with my post either, i just couldnt in good faith NOT make the observation.

Much respect.

Bremen
12-15-2004, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd want to do it just to get Irie's insight on how to move higher...hell, I'd pay for that alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I almost applied just for Irie's "guidance". However psychologically I'd be more apt to play with scared money when it wasn't mine. That and I have no bankroll issues :0)

The Yugoslavian
12-15-2004, 09:13 PM
*nod*

The long term EV is hugely + if Irieguy is going to add helpful analysis and advice (which I assume he would since it's in his interest for you to do well). I would definitely be interested in the program BUT my job is fairly demanding and I just didn't think I could commit to 500 SNGs/month.

Having a job would make earning $ for living at these levels less important and one could easily withstand taking a short term cut in overall earnings for the chance to improve future earnings due to improved play.

stripsqueez
12-15-2004, 10:18 PM
i think the most important thing about staking someone is how long the arrangement goes for

i have staked a couple of guys from these boards and in B+M games and been staked twice myself - the motivation to win diminishes the longer you realise that your efforts arent just for you - its only having an end point that keeps you keen - i have seen staking arrangements that got out of hand and the failure to look down the track to the inevitable stage i refer to was often the cause

a typical arrangement from what i have seen is 50/50 until the stakee makes enough from his/her share to stake themselves - so if your playing $10+$1 SNG's and splitting the profits 50/50 the arrangement would end after you've made around $700 which is double a minimum bankroll for that game

i dont mean to comment on the legitamcy of this offer

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Mr_J
12-16-2004, 01:50 AM
"i think the most important thing about staking someone is how long the arrangement goes for"

He obviously wants a longer term arrangement than what is needed for the player to earn enough to be able to BR themselves. That'd take from a week to a month depending how many hours they out in and multitabling (and assuming a decent ROI). They might want to play a big longer to build more of a safety net.

I don't see much point in this deal for $10 sngs. Say 30% ROI over 500 sngs, that's $750 per month for both parties. Now backing 3-4 guys at the $20+ is more like it.

AleoMagus
12-16-2004, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now backing 3-4 guys at the $20+ is more like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, he could just back me in $215s and step 5s. Sure, I've never played for those stakes before but, well, I just know I could tear those games up. How hard could it be, right?

I figure $10,000 should at least get me started.

What do you say Irie? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards
Brad S

Irieguy
12-16-2004, 04:48 AM
Give me your account name at Party and your full name and I will transfer the 10K in the morning.

Please play 500 of them in the next 30 days and transfer 50% of your profit plus my original 10K back to my account.

Irieguy

PS- oh yeah... please play good.

SuitedSixes
12-16-2004, 04:56 AM
I get the feeling he's serious . . . that would be SO cool.