PDA

View Full Version : A truly disgusting play from me.

07-24-2002, 04:56 AM
Pokerstars $300 nl tourney yesterday.

Tourney is just starting, everybody has around 1500 and the blinds are 15/30

I am dealt jt of diamonds in the Big Blind.

There is a late limper (LL) and the small blind completes. I check.

Flop comes undercards with 2 diamonds. (no obvious straight draws).

I try to buy it betting the pot but everybody calls.

Turn is another diamond, so I have a flush.

I bet the pot again, but LL calls.

Another diamond on the river, so I am beat by diamond Q,K, and Ace. I check and call the 400 bet from LL ( I really dont know why I made that call). LL had K8 of diamonds.

I am left with a crippled stack. (I later had a chance to triple with Aces, but somebody made a set, and I was out of the tournament).

1. How do I avoid making such calls in the future.

2. Should LL have gone all in on my turn bet.

Kim

07-24-2002, 06:19 AM
"How do I avoid making such calls in the future. "

I think u played the hand well until the river, you check then he bets T400. This is a tough situation to be in, but since you dont know ur opponent and this is just the beginning of the tourney and you have no real reads i think you should fold.

The only way i avoid these situations and making such calls is that when i get a sick feeling inside of me and i know that you felt it when you checked the river and he bet, is lay back for atleast 20 seconds no matter what and then clearly think about what is happening then try and make the right decision based on information and knowledge about my opponents and the way the hand was played otherwise i just fold.

"Should LL have gone all in on my turn bet"

I really wouldn't know what the right answer here is or if there is a right answer, if he just i'm sure that you would bet the river again if a non diamond comes so he probably has you then, but offcourse he can't be sure that you have the diamonds also so maybe he is just calling to trap incase you have two pair. If he raises all in on the turn some one with two pair could fold.

I hope i helped,

-MJ