PDA

View Full Version : What's the Play?

07-24-2002, 12:33 AM
It's 6 hands into a no-limit tournament. The blinds are $25 and $50. My buddy picks up Ad,Ac two off the button and makes it $200 to go. Only the bb called.

The flop is As,7h,4h. My buddy bets $1000 and the bb calls.

The turn is the Qh and the bb bets $2300 which would put my friend all in (for what it's worth, the bb has $500 left).

Question: Should my friend call? Did he bet enough money pre-flop and/or on the flop?

Result: My friend called, the river blanked, and the bb showed down Kh,3h to knock my friend out of the tournament early.

07-24-2002, 01:57 AM
i think this is just a case of bad luck. i think your friend definitely could have raised a bit more pre-flop considering his position, although IMO the BB made a poor call. once the hearts hit the board, i don't think any bet would have induced a fold from the BB, considering his poor call pre-flop. of course if you have a good read on the opponent and can be almost sure he has the flush, you should probably dump. however, it could be just as likely that BB called with AQo and is now betting top 2 pair with nut flush draw. a fold in this case would be catastrophic considering the size of the pot. bad beat for your friend.

07-24-2002, 07:00 AM
> Question: Should my friend call?

Absolutely! There's no way to muck top set here, esp. if he has less then T2300 left and the call would be all-in.

You don't mention his stack size, so I assume your friend had T2000 left. This means he's getting better than 2:1 on the call with 10 outs to fill up if he is behind. But the BB could easily make this move with only the Ah or maybe even lesser hand, In which case, he's almost a 4:1 favorite.

> Did he bet enough money pre-flop and/or on the flop?

I think he played the hand just fine. Slight overbets seem like the perfect betsize in this situation (with a stack of more than 60 BBs, it would have been a error to try to get it in with only two bets)

cu

Ignatius