View Full Version : TOP 2 (Deep Stacks)

eckoo
12-15-2004, 01:39 AM
Preflop was a loose call, but how should I play this hand from here. Main villian was not spectacular, plays any suited. Comments are appreciated

acroch69 is at seat 0 with $23.85.
eckoo is at seat 1 with $101.
fhsuband08 is at seat 2 with $10.
nhoj is at seat 3 with $62.95.
carterze is at seat 4 with $70.60.
Jackamycracka is at seat 5 with $73.55 (sitting out).
drbooshkit04 is at seat 6 with $61.60.
Shonk is at seat 7 with $28.30.
skippy2 is at seat 8 with $9.60.
AH18 is at seat 9 with $58.40.
The button is at seat 1.

nhoj posts the small blind of $.25.
carterze posts the big blind of $.50.

acroch69: -- --
eckoo: Qd Td
nhoj: -- --
carterze: -- --
drbooshkit04: -- --
Shonk: -- --
skippy2: -- --
AH18: -- --

Pre-flop:

drbooshkit04 folds. Shonk folds. skippy2 folds.
AH18 calls. acroch69 calls. eckoo calls. nhoj
calls. carterze checks.

Flop (board: Qs Th 7s):

nhoj checks. carterze checks. AH18 bets $.50.
acroch69 folds. eckoo raises to $1.50. nhoj calls.
carterze re-raises to $9. AH18 folds.

TheWorstPlayer
12-15-2004, 02:58 AM
You know, there are a lot of posts on here that start with "I would have folded that preflop" (I have even made some myself) but I really don't think that playing Q10s on the button is a loose call. Call me crazy. Anyways, about this hand, I certainly would have raised it more than a buck, given the texture of the flop. Now that you didn't and he has re-raised big...I'm not sure. My first inclination would be to call, but it is quite likely that he is gonna come out swinging on the turn and it is quite likely that you will have to fold. Not sure whether that makes the fold better now (I really would hate to fold top two) or the push better now.

Worst case scenario, he has a set of Qs and you are drawing for running 10s but that is certainly the least likely since he didn't raise preflop. You aren't doing much better against a set of 10s, since you are drawing to 2 Qs. If it is a set of 7s, you have four outs, which you don't have the odds to draw for. So, the only way a call makes sense here is if he has a draw of some sort or a lower two pair, of course. The biggest draw he could have is OESD and flush draw which would give him 4 9s, 4 As and 6 spade outs (the 10s fills you up). That would make you guys just about even. If it is a smaller draw, say just flush or OESD, then re-raising is definitely +EV for you. All told, it looks like a big semi-bluff and I would probably re-raise. I am certainly curious what others think, though.

Kips Bay Kid
12-15-2004, 11:35 AM
I think I need more information or I fold. He is making a pot x2 size bet here, does he have a history of overbetting bluffs here? Without a raise PF he is probably on a set of 7's, although does he raise PF any pair? If so then he could have a flush draw, an OESD or both, is this how he plays those types of hands?

Reason I jump to the option to fold is when I am holding a scary hand PF like QTs I think of what kind of flops I am looking for. With QTs I look for flushes or straights - in otherwords strong hands. I have lost too many hands flopping two pair with with QT - and when another player is showing so much strength as to make a double pot bet I think you have to respect it unless he is a major LAG.

Kips Bay Kid
12-15-2004, 11:38 AM
Thinking about a little more he very well could be slow playing an overpair or a pair of J's. Have you played enough hands with him to get a read? Thinking more about it he could also have QT or Q7 or T7. You stated how loose PF he is, but what about his aggression - what does this smell like to you based on his history?

swolfe
12-15-2004, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I need more information or I fold. He is making a pot x2 size bet here, does he have a history of overbetting bluffs here? Without a raise PF he is probably on a set of 7's, although does he raise PF any pair? If so then he could have a flush draw, an OESD or both, is this how he plays those types of hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

9 is actually a pot sized raise. there's $6 in the pot with villain facing a $1.5 bet. his call makes the pot $7.5, and he raises by $7.5.

Kips Bay Kid
12-15-2004, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

9 is actually a pot sized raise. there's $6 in the pot with villain facing a $1.5 bet. his call makes the pot $7.5, and he raises by $7.5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pre-flop:

drbooshkit04 folds. Shonk folds. skippy2 folds.
AH18 calls $0.50. acroch69 calls $1.00. eckoo calls $1.50. nhoj
calls $2.00. carterze checks $2.50.

Flop (board: Qs Th 7s):

nhoj checks. carterze checks. AH18 bets $.50 $3.00.
acroch69 folds. eckoo raises to $1.50 $4.50. nhoj calls $6.00.
carterze re-raises to $9. AH18 folds.

<font color="blue">Hrm still looks like a 1.5x pot raise
What am I missing?</font>

NM - You are saying he calls the $1.50 and then raises $7.50.

Wayfare
12-15-2004, 03:44 PM
I make it $25 here about half the time, and raise the turn the other half of the time. You should be able to figure out where he is really well if you take the first action.

eckoo
12-17-2004, 09:54 PM
I really couldnt my opp on QQ nor 1010 here. Maybe a slight possibility of 77. I reraised to 30, he pushed, I ponder for a bit and called.

He had bottom 2 and didn't improve. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jonny
12-18-2004, 01:54 AM
i'd reraise.