PDA

View Full Version : Two Limit Hold'em Tourney Hands

07-24-2002, 12:27 AM
I am new to tournament play. I have done well in online one table tournaments, and have made the final few of a few online multitable tournaments, but I still feel like I'm getting my feet wet.

Two hands came up tonight at a relatively small tournament that I would like your help with.

Hand #1: Round 5 of the tournament, I open raise with 99 from middle position. I am immediately three bet by a player who is nearly all-in and is wild. The big blind calls two cold. The blinds are 100-200 and the action is 200-400. The flop is K-7-4. I bet the flop, and am raised by the player behind me. The big blind now calls two cold and I muck. I have approximately 1200 in chips. Correct?

Hand #2: Four players left, I have survived and am by far the shortest stack. I have 2600 in chips. The blinds are 300-500 and the action is 500-1000. I post 300 in the small blind, leaving me with 2300. I again have 99. The difference between 3rd place is 1.33 of 4th place. The button raises. I three bet, bet the K-T-6 flop and bet all in on the turn with the board K-T-6-7.

Three questions. Correct to three bet? Correct to bet the flop? Correct to bet all-in on the turn with only 600 in chips?

Results later.

07-24-2002, 12:40 AM
The results don't tell you much.

Hand 1: All-in player turns over 88. Big blind player turns over AT for no pair. I am learning a little bit about the big blind's calling station habits. At the time, I was not concerned about the all-in raise from the player behind me, but rather by the cold call by the big blind.

Hand 2: I am not happy when he calls me on the turn, but am ecstatic when he turns up A8hh for ace high. I am less excited when I hit my set on the river giving him a straight. Like I said, the results don't tell you much, but I'm wondering given my relative chip disadvantage whether I played this correctly or should have waited, either preflop or on the flop (I think the bet on the turn is a no brainer).

RH

07-24-2002, 07:13 AM
I've seen your results post. You don't give us too long to post do you! :-)

Heres my 2 cents:

Hand 1:I think you were right to fold 99, despite the fact is was the (undeclared) winner. The calling station could have had a K and crippled you. The all-in could of had anything, (and did)!

Hand 2: Flop is ugly but you have to make a stand sooner or later. You cant wait for Aces!! Damned unlucky for your trips to make your opponent luck out on you, but that's poker!

Do you play on Pokerstars? Whats your nickname?

Redsimon...a moderate limit player

07-24-2002, 09:38 AM
I can't see any way in which you misplayed either of your hands.

1) You can maybe play your 9-9 heads up for a raise, especially if losing the hand won't cripple you, but not in a three way pot.

2) You will naturally get called by all hands that beat you. However you will also get called by many hands that don't. Added to which, any hand that beats you will set you in, and you must call. Therefore, your bet is correct.

Regards,

Richard