PDA

View Full Version : AQ early vs. shorty all in

texasrattlers
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Standard play w/ AQ early is to limp. So, say you limp and a short stack (say 1/3 to 1/2 the starting chips) goes all in. Do you call?

captZEEbo1
12-15-2004, 12:22 AM
400 is probably too much to gamble, but depending on number of limpers (probably more limpers = less live Aces), and number of people willing to act behind you, calling about 300 or less chips is plenty okay (especially b/c of the tendendy to push a Ax hand).

stanky
12-15-2004, 12:30 AM
I say no even if he is a bad player that lost half his stack early because of bad play.

-Pete

Ogre
12-15-2004, 12:44 AM
1/3 of a starting stack call
1/2 starting stack fold

Sidekick
12-15-2004, 01:38 AM
It depends (don't you hate responses that start that way?).

If I am last to act and there are no other callers, then I will call for 1/3 of my stack if the hands I've seen short stack play were marginal/crappy. If short stack has played strong hands and just got outdrawn or just plain unlucky (e.g. KK vs. shorter stack AA) then I most likely fold even if his stack is only 1/3 of mine.

Even if short stack has 1/3 or less than my stack if there are other limpers left to act behind me I will usually fold.

If short stack is over 1/3 of my stack then I'm folding my AQ. I don't care if he is a crap player or not. Even twits get monster hands or can get lucky.

It's early and I have plenty of chips. Other opportunities will most likely present themselves later when it matters more.