View Full Version : 99 hand... not good

el_grande
12-14-2004, 07:24 PM
$.5/$1 NL Home Game

I have $40, villian has $150+

Players are of intermediate skill

I'm in BB with 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

3 callers, I make it $4, 2 MP callers.

Flop ($13.50) - 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet out $10. 1 fold. Villian makes it $30.

I think for a long time and go all in figuring a play is being made or I'm up against a draw.

Horrible, right?

el_grande
12-14-2004, 08:42 PM
no comments yet which tells me this is a "depends on the player" hand? I thought it was a bad call.

TrailofTears
12-14-2004, 10:41 PM
I'll give it my opinion, but feel free to contradict me and remember, I am going on no reads or feel for the table. I don't like the PF raise with middle PP when out of position. It puts you in a position where you are only going to get called by royalty and ace+ hands. How do you act on the flop with overcards (I know this didn't happen, but it easily could have, hence why I don't like the raise). Given that this flop seems to be ideal for your hand, I don't mind the near-pot bet on the flop. However, I would respect that raise without any reads. If I had seen him make a move like that before, maybe I call or push, but he bet just enough to commit your stack which indicates strength. Again, I wait for a better opportunity to double up off of this guy. Maybe I am just a tight player, but that is my take on this hand. Seems like a set or, if he is very loose, A3s. Might be seeing monsters or playing results-oriented, but he is playing like he has one. I hope you reloaded and took your money back plus interest.

greg nice
12-14-2004, 11:01 PM
with your non existant stack id say to push too then rebuy if you lose

TheWorstPlayer
12-14-2004, 11:04 PM
I would suggest that you don't raise 99 from the BB. Unless you hit your set, you are most likely screwed on the flop against someone who called your raise, has position on you, and there are overcards on the board. If you don't raise, then when you bet, you won't have to worry that he is just playing back at someone trying to steal the pot with overcards (since this flop almost certainly did not help a raiser). The pot will be smaller and easier to get away from. All told, it is easier to play this hand if you don't raise preflop. And there aren't too many scenarios where raising preflop makes you any extra cash. Seems almost certainly -EV to me unless you meant it mostly as a steal of the limps, which doesnt seem to be the case since you ended up pushing all in when raised on the flop.

el_grande
12-15-2004, 01:46 AM
Well, I'm not absolutely positive I was BB, but I recall that I was. I do know he had position on me.

Turns out he had A3o. So he was loose preflop and I was pretty much drawing dead. He wouldn't normally call this but he was feeling his wheaties being on the big stack that night. But I think this was a bad call because what do I beat other than a draw? Not many hands.

Also, I think it was bad because this player knows me quite well and honestly I think he would have respect for my $10 lead out bet. He's not going to raise me $20 unless he has something. The chances he's on a draw here are small. I'm going to remember that in the future.

bobman0330
12-15-2004, 12:42 PM
I don't really mind this. TT-AA is unlikely because of his passive play preflop. more likely is something like 77, i think. i would call pretty quickly here with that size stack.