PDA

View Full Version : T1500 v. T800

junkmail3
12-14-2004, 06:45 PM
I would suppose that this would help the better player. Decrease variance in a SnG, and allow a few more opportunities to make a couple of moves otherwise inhibited with the T800 structure.

Is this correct thinking?

Edit: I'm talking about starting tournament chips (with little or no change in the starting blinds)

SmileyEH
12-14-2004, 06:55 PM
I really think it is irrelevant. Start the blinds at 50-100 for all I care. I still have an advantage over the field and will turn a decent hourly rate.

-SmileyEH

Irieguy
12-14-2004, 07:10 PM
Smiley's right, as long as people are playing incorrectly it helps your hourly rate to have fewer chips.

And starting chip amounts do not influence variance. Variance is dictated by the number of players and the payout structure. If you kept the Party payout structure the same, but had SNGs start at level 9, variance would not change appreciably.

Irieguy

Marcotte
12-14-2004, 07:14 PM
It would be interesting to see someones stats for several hundred or more sngs in both types of tournys. I only play T1500, and find myself playing too many speculative hands in the first two rounds. I would like to think I'd play tighter with only T800, but I have a feeling my results would be worse with less chips.