PDA

View Full Version : What is the best sound in sports?

SomethingClever
12-14-2004, 06:35 PM
For me, nothing beats the crisp "swish" of a perfectly-shot basketball going through the hoop.

But I'm willing to listen to arguments for the crack of the bat in baseball, a roaring crowd, a bone-crunching hit in football, etc.....

dr. klopek
12-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Why post the clear winner first? Don't you want replies?

nolanfan34
12-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Come on now. It's the sound of a ball going in the hole when you drop a 45 foot putt, and it's not close.

Gamblor
12-14-2004, 06:48 PM
So there's no question it's the slap shot that beats you cleanly but pings off the crossbar, giving you new life and new hope.

You can hear it no matter where you are in the whole arena, and it's invariably followed by an "oooooooh!"

PoBoy321
12-14-2004, 06:49 PM
It's obviously that quiet, delicate sound of Ron Artest cracking skulls. And it's not even close.

fsuplayer
12-14-2004, 06:50 PM
you must have great hearing.

i can only hear the short ones....or maybe its that I dont make the long ones. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

i think a great *crunch* hit in football is pretty good. along with a tiger wood's punch 3 wood.

bosoxfan
12-14-2004, 06:55 PM
The snap of the catchers mit from the first fastball of the season.

gonores
12-14-2004, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i can only hear the short ones....or maybe its that I dont make the long ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard it when I drained that 40' putt for bird to put a dagger through our wolf match.

SomethingClever
[ QUOTE ]
So there's no question it's the slap shot that beats you cleanly but pings off the crossbar, giving you new life and new hope.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great sound. I can't stand watching hockey, though.

Fluffington
The sound of English football hooligans rioting.

daryn
12-14-2004, 07:00 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

You can hear it no matter where you are in the whole arena, and it's invariably followed by an "oooooooh!"

[/ QUOTE ]

that is true. live hockey is awesome.

fsuplayer
12-14-2004, 07:04 PM
to put a dagger through our wolf match.

that was a friggin clutch putt. although no chance you catch lightening in a bottle and beat me at my home turf. I will own you.

nolanfan34
12-14-2004, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
to put a dagger through our wolf match.

that was a friggin clutch putt. although no chance you catch lightening in a bottle and beat me at my home turf. I will own you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys can't talk about this being a great match unless you fess up with the final scores. If it was 99 beating 101, then I'm not that impressed. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Justin A
12-14-2004, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The snap of the catchers mit from the first fastball of the season.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good one. I also enjoy the first "play ball", and of course the sound of a wood bat making solid contact.

Off topic, but when Bellhorn hit the first of his two homeruns off the foul pole, you guys remember the sound it made? When they were replaying it, McCarver says, "worst sound I've ever heard."

Uh huh.

Justin A

LondonBroil
12-14-2004, 07:25 PM
The first week of MNF. I love that intro beat. Berm! Berm! Berm! Berm!

M2d
12-14-2004, 07:29 PM
Vin Scully saying "welcome to Dodger's Baseball..."

for actual participation, it's tough to beat the sizzle that a fast ball makes. the only ones who can hear it are the batter, the catcher and the umpire, but it's pretty sweet.

offTopic
12-14-2004, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Come on now. It's the sound of a ball going in the hole when you drop a 45 foot putt, and it's not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can count on one hand the number of putts/chips I've made from that distance, but regardless, I wouldn't hear it because I'd've been yelling at the ball to go in for the last 5'. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

bosoxfan
12-14-2004, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Off topic, but when Bellhorn hit the first of his two homeruns off the foul pole, you guys remember the sound it made? When they were replaying it, McCarver says, "worst sound I've ever heard."

Uh huh.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was great how unbiased he was

ThaSaltCracka
12-14-2004, 07:38 PM
There are three that are the best

- A perfect swish in basketball
- A perfect hit in baseball
- a perfect hit in football

everything else pales in comparison.

wayabvpar
12-14-2004, 08:21 PM
I'll take any post-fight interview with Mike Tyson, just for the off the charts reading on the Unintentional Comedy Scale.

The crossbar one is great though- especially in a tight, important game.

Edge34
12-14-2004, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The first week of MNF. I love that intro beat. Berm! Berm! Berm! Berm!

[/ QUOTE ]

On the same lines, as others have said, the sound of someone getting totally decleated in a big game. There's nothing like watching John Lynch line up some unsuspecting WR coming across the middle and hearing the impact he has on him. Humans should not be able to do that to other humans. But I'm glad they can!

The squeak of sneakers at the start of basketball season is a pretty good one too, haven't seen that mentioned yet.

-Edge

ThaSaltCracka
12-14-2004, 08:37 PM
I would like to nominate the old NBA on NBC theme. Love that [censored], John Tesh rocks!

kerssens
12-14-2004, 08:37 PM
the beer vendor at Safeco that gets in front of the section, grabs a couple bottles and yells "BEER!!" as loud as he can...what a sound.

ThaSaltCracka
12-14-2004, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the beer vendor at Safeco that gets in front of the section, grabs a couple bottles and yells "BEER!!" as loud as he can...what a sound.

[/ QUOTE ]what about the cracker jack guy?

kerssens
12-14-2004, 08:46 PM
He's right up there...but he makes a couple sounds.

wayabvpar
12-14-2004, 09:04 PM
Or Rick the peanut guy? He has been schlepping peanuts at M's games since I was a kid. And he still looks the same!

http://www.thegoal.com/players/mascot_entertainment/kamiski_rick/peanut.jpg

I actually found a picture of him. I am a Google God.

ThaSaltCracka
12-14-2004, 09:07 PM
LMAO, yeah he is good, I don't see him that much though. The cracker jack guys is hilarious though. In this high pitch sound you hear "craaaaaaacker jaaaaacks!!" Kills me every time.

The Dude
12-14-2004, 09:09 PM
When you score on my foosball table, it hits this metal plate and makes this sweet DINK noise. Ooh, so cool.

ThaSaltCracka
12-14-2004, 09:15 PM
the crowd chanting "Edddddddddd-GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR".

Sponger15SB
12-14-2004, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

golf is a sport?!? since when?

Ulysses
12-14-2004, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

- A perfect swish in basketball
- A perfect hit in baseball
- a perfect hit in football

[/ QUOTE ]

Baseball is my least favorite of those three sports, but I think the crack of the bat is by far the best sound.

kyro
12-14-2004, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. i refuse to watch hockey on tv. but i love to go to hockey games, pro/college/high school. any of 'em.

Peca277
12-14-2004, 10:13 PM
Even better is when your favorite hockey player delivers a crushing blow that shatters the glass and sends the opponent into the crowd. Doesn't happen often so it's that much sweeter.

ThaSaltCracka
12-14-2004, 10:14 PM
Hockey is not a sport, its ice skaters beating the [censored] out of each other.

Peca277
12-14-2004, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hockey is not a sport, its ice skaters beating the [censored] out of each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe you're practically Canadian and don't think hockey is a sport.

ThaSaltCracka
12-14-2004, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]don't ever call me practically Canadian /images/graemlins/mad.gif I am serious. As for what I said, it was a joke, George Carlin said it.

Peca277
12-14-2004, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]don't ever call me practically Canadian /images/graemlins/mad.gif I am serious. As for what I said, it was a joke, George Carlin said it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I trust you. And I consider anybody within an hour of the Canadian border practically Canadian. Not really an insult because that includes myself being 20 minutes away.

Rounder041
12-14-2004, 10:54 PM
I am going to have to say the best sports sound is the noise it makes on NBA Jam after you steal the ball from someone. The anouncer goes "Stolen!" and then this sweet sound happens, like nothing I've heard before. Granted, real sport sounds are great, I am going to have to side with the basketball aspect of real sports and say that the nothing but net sound is amazing.

wacki
12-15-2004, 12:22 AM
My favorite? It's a tie between:

1) Standing on the shaking metal pipe overpass at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway as the the Team McLaren and Team Ferrari scream by underneath you.

2) Anything having to do with the Superbowl.

3) "Get your peanuts! Hot dogs! Beer!"

ricdaman
12-15-2004, 12:26 AM
GGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL (hearing the announcer when your team scores in football)

American's please don't bother to respond to this one. You wouldn't understand.
P.S. I'm talking about soccer, not the pig skin game.

ArchAngel71857
12-15-2004, 12:26 AM
11111111118888888888888888888800000000000000000000 00!

-AA

jasonHoldEm
12-15-2004, 12:31 AM
My personal favorite was at a sabres v. wings game the season after Dom went to the wings, having him come back to his former home ice and getting destroyed 5-2...after every buffalo goal the entire crowd was chanting "haaaaaaaa-sek....haaaaaaa-sek"

J

fsuplayer
12-15-2004, 12:33 AM
You guys can't talk about this being a great match unless you fess up with the final scores. If it was 99 beating 101, then I'm not that impressed.

disclaimer: it was the first time playing in 2.5 mths.

i seem to remember shooting low-mid 80's and dougie-hack shooting the low 90's.

my score wasnt helped as I made a prop bet that I could finish the 18th left handed with doug's sticks after a perfect drive left me 140 out.

i used to be a 3 handicap, but that was a long while ago.

our scores werent close, but the 3 man wolk match with Obnxnole was a doozy.

the hole gonores referred to: I howled first, so that doubles the stakes, then made a 50ft from the fringe for par after a botched pitch. then gonores pours in a 45ft putt from nowwhere for a doubling of the entire whole. it was worth a lot of points.

youtalkfunny
12-15-2004, 01:15 AM
Monica Seles grunting.

Can you imagine this girl in the sack?

sthief09
12-15-2004, 01:22 AM
"the Yankees win... theeeeeeeeeeeee Yankeeesss wiiiiiin"

daryn
12-15-2004, 01:52 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
GGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL (hearing the announcer when your team scores in football)

American's please don't bother to respond to this one. You wouldn't understand.
P.S. I'm talking about soccer, not the pig skin game.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously, we are too smart.

spamuell
12-15-2004, 02:02 AM
The gentle sound of leather on willow mid test match.

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]this makes no sense to those of us that like real sports.

stabn
12-15-2004, 02:05 AM
Did anybody say anna k's moaning when hitting a ball? I didn't really read enough of this thread to know.

spamuell
12-15-2004, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That it makes no sense to people like you brings some solace to those of us who like real sports. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That it makes no sense to people like you brings some solace to those of us who like real sports. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ] whatever man.

bugstud
12-15-2004, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Monica Seles grunting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'd prefer a Russian one, but she'll do/

spamuell
12-15-2004, 02:10 AM
whatever man.

lol to be honest, I think cricket is one of the most boring sports ever invented, I was just trying to add something new to the thread.

Did anyone mention snooker? I can't think of particularly good noises made in that game, but it's the best sport (to watch).

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 02:11 AM
to be honest with you, I don't even know what snooker is. Is that sort of like pool?

spamuell
12-15-2004, 02:17 AM
to be honest with you, I don't even know what snooker is. Is that sort of like pool?

Yeah sort of. The table is like 5 times the size of a pool table though and there are more rules than pool and you don't necessarily win if you pot the black first (after the other balls), there's a point system. It's an incredibly skilled game, it's really fun to watch.

Here's an image:

http://www.louthgolfclub.com/graphics/snooker.jpg

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 02:19 AM
cool cool cool, thanks for the pic.

Cornell Fiji
12-15-2004, 04:58 AM
You guys got it all wrong.

The best sound in all of professional sports is:
The sweet splashing sound of Roberto Alomar's lougie hitting umpire John Hirshbeck squarely in the face

The crack of the bat is obviously a close second.

-Steve

blackaces13
12-15-2004, 05:01 AM
Sorry if its been said.

EliteNinja
12-15-2004, 05:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that. I played goalie when I played street hockey a few years back.

EliteNinja
12-15-2004, 05:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When you score on my foosball table, it hits this metal plate and makes this sweet DINK noise. Ooh, so cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

A sweet sound....
The sound of my unraceable pull shot making it through to the back of the net. Or my special double-deke shot.
Booyakasha!

EliteNinja
12-15-2004, 05:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Monica Seles grunting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'd prefer a Russian one, but she'll do/

[/ QUOTE ]

The squeal of Maria Sharapova. *drools* /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Gamblor
12-15-2004, 05:25 AM
To simplify, You start with the break, there are 15 red balls and all are put in a triangle where the rack normally is for pool. Then coloured balls (i.e. yellow, pink, etc. etc.) are placed in certain places around the rack - i.e. one in front, one behond, two to the side, etc. Each colour is assigned a point value, all reds are worth 1.

Break goes as normal, but from then on, you must sink alternately a red and a colour or your turn is over. When a colour is sunk, it goes back on the table to its starting spot, when a red is sunk, it stays in the pocket. You continue alternating red/colour until all the reds are gone - then you have to sink the remaining colours in a predetermined order. Most points at the end of the game wins. Usually you need to win 3 games out of 5 to win a set, and first to 7 sets wins the match. It's a long game.

Actually, that might be darts.

I'll let others get into the specifics.

brassnuts
12-15-2004, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'll take any post-fight interview with Mike Tyson, just for the off the charts reading on the Unintentional Comedy Scale.

[/ QUOTE ]

"The doctor said I broke my back... it's spinal"

Skjonne
12-15-2004, 06:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Usually you need to win 3 games out of 5 to win a set, and first to 7 sets wins the match. It's a long game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard is to play "Best of X games", X ranging from 9 at the lower prestige tournaments to I believe 37 at the final of the WC.

A lot of the world's (i.e. UK + Ireland) best snooker players play poker seriously. Jimmy White won the Poker Master Million last year, and I've seen Steve Davis, Matthew Stevens and Stephen Hendry in televised events (normally at a celebrity pre-qualifying table)

Punker
12-15-2004, 07:15 AM
A few that come to mind that haven't been mentioned:

1) College football crowds with their rising crescendo prior to kickoff aaaaaaaahhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

2) I'm not a bowler or even a fan, but the sound of a bowling ball hitting pins is oddly satisfying

3) The silence in the arena before a penalty shot in hockey

bdk3clash
12-15-2004, 07:49 AM
For me, Harry Caray drunkenly shouting "Let's get some runs!" after singing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" during the 7th inning stretch at Wrigley, when the Cubs would invariably be losing.

I guess you have to have grown up in the Chicago area to feel this way.

SomethingClever
12-15-2004, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did anybody say anna k's moaning when hitting a ball?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or any hot tennis chick. I think we have a new champion!

elwoodblues
12-15-2004, 01:05 PM
Agree 100%. I would also say that a perfect drive in golf is right up there. There's just something about the swoosh that you hear in both the basketball shot and the golf swing that is cool.

elwoodblues
12-15-2004, 01:08 PM
The Superbowl Shuffle. How can you beat that?

Chorus
We are the Bears Shufflin' Crew
Shufflin' on down, doin' it for you.
We're so bad we know we're good.
Blowin' your mind like we knew we would.
You know we're just struttin' for fun
Struttin' our stuff for everyone.
We're not here to start not trouble.
We're just here to do the Super Bowl Shuffle.

Walter Payton
Well, they call me Sweetness,
And I like to dance.
Runnin' the ball is like makin' romance.
We've had the goal since training camp
To give Chicago a Super Bowl Champ.
And we're not doin' this
Because we're greedy.
The Bears are doin' it to feed the needy.
We didn't come here to look for trouble,
We just came here to do
The Super Bowl Shuffle.

Willie Gault
This is Speedy Willie, and I'm world class.
I like runnin' but i love to get the pass.
I practice all day and dance all night,
I got to get ready for the Sunday fight.
Now I'm as smooth as a chocolate swirl,
I dance a little funky, so watch me girl.
There's not one here that does it like me,
My Super Bowl Shuffle will set you free.

Mike Singletary
I'm Samurai Mike I stop'em cold.
Part of the defense, big and bold,
I've been jammin' for quite a while,
Doin' what's right and settin' the style,
Give me a chance, I'll rock you good,
Nobody messin' in my neighborhood.
I didn't come here lookin' for trouble,
I just came to do The Super Bowl Shuffle

(Repeat Chorus)

Jim McMahon
I'm the punky QB, known as McMahon.
When I hit the turf, I've got no plan.
I just throw my body all over the field.
I can't dance, but I can throw the pill.
I motivate the cats, I like to tease.
I play so cool, I aim to please.
That's why you all got here on the double
To catch me doin' the Super Bowl Shuffle.

Otis Wilson
I'm mama's boy Otis, one of a kind.
The ladies all love me
For my body and my mind.
I'm slick on the floor as I can be
But ain't no sucker gonna get past me.
Some guys are jealous
Of my style and class,
That's why some end up on their -,
I didn't come here lookin' for trouble,
I just get down to The Super Bowl Shuffle.

Steve Fuller
They say Jimbo is our man.
If Jimmy can't do it, I sure can.
This is Steve, and it's no wonder
I run like lightnin', pass like thunder.
So bring on Atlanta, bring on Dallas,
This is for Mike and Papa Bear Halas.
I'm not here to feather his ruffle,
I just came here to do
The Super Bowl Shuffle.

Mike Richardson
I'm L.A. Mike, and I play it cool.
They don't sneak by me 'cause I'm no fool.
I fly on the field and get on down.
Everybody knows I don't mess around.
I can break'em, shake'em,
Any time of day.
I like to steal it and make 'em pay,
So please don't cry to beat my hustle
'Cause I'm just here to do
The Super Bowl Shuffle.

(Repeat Chorus)

Richard Dent
The sackman's comin', I'm your man Dent.
if the quarterback's slow,
He's gonna get bent.
We stop the run, we stop the pass,
I like to dump guys on their -.
We love to play for the world's best fans,
You better start makin'
Your Super Bowl plans.
But don't get ready or go to any trouble
Unless you practice
The Super Bowl Shuffle.

Gary Fencik
It's Gary here, and I'm Mr.Clean.
They call me "hit man,"
Don't know what they mean.
They throw it long and watch me run,
I'm on my man, one-on-one.
Buddy's guys cover it down to the bone,
That's why they call us the 46 zone.
Come on everybody let's scream and yell,
We're goin' to do the Shuffle,
Then ring your bell.

William Perry
You're lookin' at the Fridge,
I'm the rookie.
I may be large, but I'm no dumb cookie.
You've seen me hit, you've seen me run,
When I kick and pass, we'll have more fun.
I can dance, you will see
The others, they all learn from me.
I don't come here lookin' for trouble,
I just came here to do
The Super Bowl Shuffle.

SomethingClever
12-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Damn, I forgot it had that many verses!

WDC
12-15-2004, 01:39 PM
I've always been partial to some idiot yelling "your da man" on a golf course or the crowd chanting any name that rymes with "boo"