PDA

View Full Version : What the freak do you get the Girlfriend's Parents for X-Mas???

KowCiller
12-14-2004, 06:32 PM
Some background info:

Me and gf together for 7-8 months. We hang out at her parent's house a lot. (Lots of free dinners, etc) They are in their mid 50s/early 60s. I'm 23 years old. What gift do I give them?

Keep ideas <= $100.

Thanks,

KoW

M2d
12-14-2004, 06:34 PM
gc for a nice restaurant

Benal
12-14-2004, 06:36 PM
She's preggo

ThaSaltCracka
12-14-2004, 06:36 PM
a bottle of nice wine.

Diplomat
12-14-2004, 06:37 PM
I'm in the same bind. Her grandma baked me a cake and sent me a christmas card, so I've got to get her grandparents something too. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Diplomat

goodedesign
12-14-2004, 06:37 PM

KowCiller
12-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Dang.. that's going to be a tough one. Are you implying that parents these days don't just deny reality anymore?

I wouldn't do THAT to THEIR daughter would I? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

KoW

fsuplayer
12-14-2004, 06:48 PM
wine is good. those White House Christmas Ornments are great as well. Only like $25-30 with fast delivery. looks expensive and thoughtful.

TheRake
12-14-2004, 06:49 PM
This is actually an easy answer because it doesn't really matter. In this case it truly is the thought that counts. Just so you don't think I weasled out on the question.

For her Mom: Something decorative and unusual (Snow globe, Christmas ornament, Candle holders, etc.)

For her Dad: Find out what he does for recreation. Does he play golf? read? Get him something in his specific area of enjoyment.

Problem solved and under $100 for both.

TheRake

KowCiller
12-14-2004, 06:50 PM
Thankfully no... Although that would be a funny gag gift... Merry Christmas, you're grandparents! Oh wait, no you aren't!

(especially funny since they don't have any grandkids yet)

Jim Kuhn
12-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Call them on December 23rd from a safe distance and tell them their daughter is pregnant. On Christmas Eve call them and tell them 'Merry Christmas - your daughter is not really pregnant!' Best present they will ever get and it is free!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u

offTopic
12-14-2004, 07:15 PM
grandchild...especially if they're still in their 40s.

wayabvpar
12-14-2004, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
gc for a nice restaurant

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good, safe route. Not to mention that they will probably drag you and your girlfriend out with them when they use them and pick up the check. It is flawless!

sthief09
12-14-2004, 08:04 PM
I've been with mine for almost 4 years. I've never gotten her parents anything

bad?

M2d
12-14-2004, 08:05 PM
either that, or, they'll tell you that they're using the GC, and you'll have her house to yourself for a known period of time.

Boris
12-14-2004, 08:05 PM
you cant go wrong with cheese log.

Alobar
12-14-2004, 08:29 PM
people get their GF's parents gifts? heh, why??

Whatever you get them they really arent going to give a [censored] about anwyway, so just get them something cheap that shows you were thinking about them. ala "its the thought that counts"

Im a good cook/baker, so I would bake them a cake or cookies or something stupid like that if you know how. Otherwise just get them a gift certificate to some restraunt.

The fact you are on here peddling for ideas means there isnt anything obvious to get them (like her mom loves beanie babies and her dad is a golger), so really its not going to matter.

jakethebake
12-15-2004, 10:23 AM
Why not ask your girlfriend?

Rick Diesel
12-15-2004, 10:50 AM
In addition to the present, buy some flowers for your girlfriend and her mother, and give them to them on Christmas. Usually around the holidays it is easy to find someone selling bouquets on a nearby street corner. You can usually find decent ones for under $15 each. This will score some major points with both of them.

Rick Diesel

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-15-2004, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In addition to the present, buy some flowers for your girlfriend and her mother, and give them to them on Christmas. Usually around the holidays it is easy to find someone selling bouquets on a nearby street corner. You can usually find decent ones for under $15 each. This will score some major points with both of them.

Rick Diesel

[/ QUOTE ]
This is huge. The last day of the year back in about freshman/sophomore year of college, my girlfriend's parents and aunt came up to help move. A rose to each of the gf, her mom, and the aunt and I was so in it wasn't even funny. All that for $10-$15.

Wine's a safe, easy gift for parents on Christmas and it doesn't even have to be more than $15-$20 so long as they're not some crazy sort of connoisseur. It usually ends up being more for the mom, but the dad doesn't give a rat's ass. Besides, if you get the mom all giddy about you, there's jack [censored] the dad's gonna be able to do anyway. She's your mark. Find out whether she likes white or red.

KowCiller
12-15-2004, 11:33 AM
I have... she doesn't even know what SHE'S getting them yet /images/graemlins/mad.gif.

Anyway I'll prob just get a GC unless someone comes up with something revolutionary on this thread /images/graemlins/smile.gif

KoW

elwoodblues
12-15-2004, 11:35 AM
In my opinion a gift certificate is a BAD idea. You are basically giving them cash. Take them out to dinner for a christmas gift or get them a nice bottle of wine. Both are WAY better than getting them cash.

jakethebake
12-15-2004, 11:35 AM
I'm gonna recommend Godiva chocolate for Mom. Men view it as candy, just another consumable. Women view it as being about a half step below getting diamonds. They're crazy for it. As for Dad, find out what he drinks in terms of bourbon or scotch or whatever and get a really good bottle. The two together should run under $100.

Toro
12-15-2004, 11:56 AM
This is precisely why I hate xmas over all the other Holidays. This gift giving thing has gotten totally out of hand. And it's not the money with me. If you gave me a list of people who(because this tradition has gotten totally out of hand that I'm suppose to give a gift) and an amount, I would gladly write them all a check.

My opinion is this. Children should receive xmas presents, no one else.

beerbandit
12-15-2004, 12:18 PM
gift card for resteraunt/store
wine
bird bath

cheers
beer

TheRake
12-15-2004, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion a gift certificate is a BAD idea. You are basically giving them cash. Take them out to dinner for a christmas gift or get them a nice bottle of wine. Both are WAY better than getting them cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. GC are a bad idea if you want to make a good impression.

citanul
12-15-2004, 12:23 PM
I've had good luck with, and think that many people like, consumables of various types. I think that all forms of alcohol have to be relegated to people you know beforehand woul like such a gift though, otherwise you could get in trouble. There's also no great reason you need to get the mom and dad seperate presents, unless they are seperated.

There's some really good places online to buy things like Toffees, Chocolates, etc.

Two of my favorites are: Hot Chocolate box sets, with several flavors. No Nestle here, you've got to go higher end. Seasonal, nice, etc. A box of spices, from the Spice House, in Chicago. They have a website, and do shipping for you. They have box sets of things like, "bakers basic box" which would contain vanilla extract, cinnamon, etc. Or things like, the "bbq box" which would have well, bbq related spices.

Every city has a foofy grocery store, which is chock full of stuff that people like, but would never buy themselves. That is, after all, half of good gift giving.

citanul

daveymck
12-15-2004, 12:25 PM
You get her to write your name on the card on the gift she gets them. I dont buy our lasses parents anything and dont expect her to get mine any, we write both our names on the card, job done.

jakethebake
12-15-2004, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont buy our lasses parents anything

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you speaking for all the voices in your head?