PDA

View Full Version : online much tougher than b & m?

threepines
12-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Are ring games tougher on-line or at b & m cardrooms?

I play the Bellagio 15-30 and 30-60 and Mirage 20-40 games 6 or so trips a year. I'm often there on weekdays. My impression is that, on average, the games are tougher on-line. One reason: the ability of pros and semi-pros to multi-table and VPIP 20% or less contributes to tighter, more aggressive games. Your thoughts? Keep in mind that most 2 + 2ers practice game selection and thus don't even see the action in some of the tighter on-line games.

Am I taking a biased sample by posting this on the internet forum?

If this has been discussed before, sorry. Please direct me to the relevant thread.

Benal
12-14-2004, 06:27 PM
I'd say the general consensus on this forum is that online games are tougher.

LSUfan1
12-14-2004, 06:32 PM
I could be wrong here, but I would assume as you move up the levels the games become closer. At 3/6 B&M you get 8 seeing the flop routinely, whereas online you have to search to get games this juicy(there are some). Once you get above the 10/20 level I would assume(perhaps incorrectly) that the skill level live approaches the skill level online(not equal, but approaching).

I am a low limit player, and as such I can say with certainty that at the lower levels online is much tougher than B&M. Once the levels increase I would only be taking a guess!

GrannyMae
12-14-2004, 06:33 PM
My impression is that, on average, the games are tougher on-line.

with the exception of the biggest games, i would agree that the games in a B&M are much, much easier.

Rudbaeck
12-14-2004, 07:06 PM
Online 3/6 plays like b&m 20/40 imho. I'm starting to hate micro limits, so many fishies go there. Party should just scratch all limits under 3/6 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SinCityGuy
12-15-2004, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Online 3/6 plays like b&m 20/40 imho. I'm starting to hate micro limits, so many fishies go there. Party should just scratch all limits under 3/6 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's about right. The main difference is that a good B&M 20/40 player making $60 per hour might lose $2000 on a bad session. A good 3/6 multitabler with a rake rebate can make $60 per hour and might lose $300 on a bad session.

morgant
12-15-2004, 12:44 AM
i may be in the minority, in that i fare much better playing online than live. there are so many differences that comparing the two might not be fair. i love to play live, for entertainment value, but for bankroll and monetary purposes, i play online.

for some reason, i am much more comfortable putting 1k on a pair of aces on the internet then i am in real life. this is easily explained and understood but dats da way it is for me.

dont think i added to the thread, but those are my preferences.

AncientPC
12-15-2004, 12:55 AM
I'm the same way. I was depositing $300 cash into an ATM the other day and it felt like a huge wad of money and made me nervous. I usually carry less than $20 cash and charge everything to a credit card.

On the other hand, pushing all in with a $200 stack online doesn't really phase me, as if it being on a computer screen makes it more of a video game than a card game with money involved.

Beer and Pizza
12-15-2004, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i may be in the minority, in that i fare much better playing online than live.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to stop grinning when you get a hand. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

threepines
12-15-2004, 11:58 AM
I'm with you in thinking that on-line is more profitable (at least at low and mid-level games). However, the consensus seems to be that a given game is going to be softer live than on-line.

SamJack
12-15-2004, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are ring games tougher on-line or at b & m cardrooms?

I play the Bellagio 15-30 and 30-60 and Mirage 20-40 games 6 or so trips a year. I'm often there on weekdays. My impression is that, on average, the games are tougher on-line. One reason: the ability of pros and semi-pros to multi-table and VPIP 20% or less contributes to tighter, more aggressive games. Your thoughts? Keep in mind that most 2 + 2ers practice game selection and thus don't even see the action in some of the tighter on-line games.

Am I taking a biased sample by posting this on the internet forum?

If this has been discussed before, sorry. Please direct me to the relevant thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

My impression from my limited play in the B&M games are that indeed they are easier than on line.

This is especially true on weekend nights. You get tons of first time players who barely know the rules.

SamJack

Rudbaeck
12-15-2004, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm with you in thinking that on-line is more profitable (at least at low and mid-level games). However, the consensus seems to be that a given game is going to be softer live than on-line.

[/ QUOTE ]

So right, you are never going to sit in a live $3/6 game as tight as a good game of 3/6 on party. Unless you are playing weekday around noon I doubt you'll find a live 10/20 with as many tight and skilled players in it either.

mosta
12-15-2004, 12:52 PM
3-6, eg, I've never seen a party table go capped 7-10 ways preflop for the majority of the hands over several rounds. this is not unusual live. 15-30, for the one or two guys that make a party game really good (and that's not to say that the rest of the players are great, but the one or two maniacs/total and complete idiots), you expect to find 4-6 players like that in a live 15-30 game. good online game: Ooo, 2 cold callers. average live game: 6 cold callers. if only they'd let me multitable in a cardroom.