PDA

View Full Version : NL Tournament Question

07-20-2002, 05:20 AM
NL tournament, 60 Players, everyone starts with 150TC. No rebuys. This is my first tournament No Limit Tournament, so I am a bit nervous.

26 People eliminated, I have built my stack up to $380 Blinds are $4/$8. I call from the cutoff with A4s, one limper (big stack who has limped on many hands, I am the second biggest stack to this guy.) I figure I have enough chips that I want to see cheap flops. SB folds, BB Checks. 3 to see the flop $24.

Flop Ac4c6s. I dont have any clubs. It checked to me. I bet $40, cause I want to charge for the flush draw(is this correct?). BB folds, limper calls.

Turn 10h. Pot is now $64. Limper bets $8, I Raise to $58, limper raises $50. I call with top and bottom pair. At this point I am putting my limper on AK.

River 2h. Making the Board A46T2(no flush). Checked to me. I go all in(Had about $100 in chips), limper calls with AA.

Could this have been avoided? Did I make some huge mistake? The whole time I thought I was setting a trap, only to get knocked out of the tournament relatively early. Any criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-James

07-20-2002, 05:33 AM
James,

You have really been cold-decked on this hand - I mean that the way the cards came out it is very hard to get away.

When the limper bets small on the turn, raises the minimum and then checks the river, I would (hopefully !) smell a rat because this is a very suspicious betting pattern, and I would (hopefully again, if I was playing well) check along and see if my hand is good.

Apart from that there's very little even an experienced player could have done.

Better luck next time,

Andy.

07-20-2002, 12:12 PM
> Could this have been avoided?

It depends. If the limper is somewhat tight, you might have got away when he reraised you the minimum on turn. (This move simply makes no sense unless he has been slowplaying a monster and wants a call)

> limper raises $50. I call with top and bottom pair.

Muck or move in, as you would be committed to call a river bet, anyway.

> At this point I am putting my limper on AK.

A very optimistic assessment after his bet-reraise. Also, he almost certainly would have raised the flop with AK. The board makes flush and str8 draws possible and if he puts you on a lesser ace, he certainly doesn't want you to hit your kicker on turn.

> River 2h. [...] Checked to me.

You should check here. The most likely reason for him not to bet is to induce a bluff from a busted draw. With T100 left, either of you is pot committed, so you have zero chance to make him muck a better hand but it would still leave you with a workable stack if you're beaten.

cu

Ignatius