PDA

View Full Version : JJ NL hand

07-19-2002, 01:13 PM
Never quite sure how highly to value JJ. Single table tournament, first trip around the table but there is already one player out. Blinds are 5/10 almost everyone has around 1,000 but the button has 1,700.

UTG limps and I raise to 40 from MP. Button calls and BB raises it 30 more. UTG calls the 60 to him, and it's back to me.

What should I do?

I called, as did the button.

*** FLOP *** : [ Td 8h 3d ]

BB Bets 130, UTG calls.

Now what's my play?

I raised it to 400. Button went all-in and BB called. UTG folded and I thought a bit then mucked.

Comments on all streets?

07-19-2002, 02:17 PM
UTG limps and I raise to 40 from MP. Button calls and BB raises it 30 more. UTG calls the 60 to him, and it's back to me.

What should I do?

You should decide right here if you have the best hand. You have the correct odds to call, if you are behind, but if you are even pretty sure you have top pair, I would either show the two callers where the exit is or make them pay to continue. My feeling is that the BB, if he is on the weak tight side has AK. On the other hand an action player maybe building the pot with something like JTs. I don't see KK or QQ for the min. raise. AA, is possible, people play them funny, at times.

I would make it 250-500.

*** FLOP *** : [ Td 8h 3d ]

BB Bets 130, UTG calls.

Now what's my play?

The BB could still have AK or aces, I don't see most players reopening the betting, for the least amount, with anything that makes trips or two pair.

UTG????

Set is possible, unlikely calling here with over pair or ten-good.

I would go with this being a good flop and closing everyone out by going all-in.

I raised it to 400. Button went all-in and BB called. UTG folded and I thought a bit then mucked.

I like your fold, at this point.

MS Sunshine

07-19-2002, 02:43 PM
The button had J9 for an open-ender and the BB had AA. A 7 fell on the river and the BB was gone.

I don't think I would have called even if the BB had folded, but I didn't think I was strong enough against 2 of them.

07-20-2002, 03:22 PM
I think you played the hand just fine. Against very tight opponents, one can maybe make a case for mucking once UTG overcalled the BB's opening bet and one player left to act, but given the coordinated board, raising to find out where you stand with your overpair is certainly ok.

Once you got reraised with one caller, you should have an easy laydown as you usually will be sandwiched between the best hand and the best draw and could easily be dead to a runner-runner fullhouse. (Even in the unlikely case that you're actually ahead, you are at best 1:1 to win a showdown, so folding would not be a complete desaster).

cu

Ignatius