PDA

View Full Version : Best video game of all time.......

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Any console, PC or arcade game.....

My personal favorite is counterstrike, but its close.

ArchAngel71857
12-14-2004, 02:31 PM
We've been over this.

It's Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past.

-AA

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-14-2004, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We've been over this.

It's Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past.

-AA

[/ QUOTE ]

zelda? what the dude?? Obviously this needs more debating.

NLSoldier
12-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Dude this was debating in 2 threads not more than a month ago. Do a search.

ThaSaltCracka
12-14-2004, 02:34 PM
yeah go find the thread and bump it.

Joe Tall
12-14-2004, 02:41 PM
Tecmo Super Bowl

Peace,
Joe Tall

SomethingClever
12-14-2004, 02:42 PM
RBI Baseball and it's not close.

IggyWH
12-14-2004, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tecmo Super Bowl

Peace,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

*DING DING DING* WE HAVE A WINNER!

It's not even close, Tecmo Super Bowl is EASILY the best game ever made.

Joe Tall
12-14-2004, 02:47 PM
RBI Baseball and it's not close \

Dude, SNK All-Star Baseball was way better.

Peace,
Joe Tall

sthief09
12-14-2004, 02:48 PM
Mario Kart on N64

SomethingClever
12-14-2004, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Peace,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about Baseball Stars? If so, great game, but I prefer RBI's gameplay.

SomethingClever
12-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Here are my more eloquent thoughts on the matter.

RBI Baseball

"Somehow, a drunken, overworked Japanese programmer created the best-playing baseball game ever when he programmed RBI Baseball from his sleeping tube just before dying of exhaustion and shame. The graphics could euphemistically be referred to as charmingly crappy, or crappily charming, and it only has 10 teams, but RBI is nonetheless the greatest video game of all time. You only have two buttons and a clumsy + to control your players, but the finesse built into the game engine is as sublime as a $5,000 bottle of wine or a Stradivarious violin. As a seasoned vet, I have the bat control to slap hits to all fields, double line-drives off the outfield wall or hit towering home runs with old-school sluggers like Canseco and Big Mac. Here's a million-dollar idea: Take the original RBI game and upgrade it for the modern consoles ... but DON'T change the graphics or gameplay. DO add all the players from all the teams that have ever played and the ability to save stats through a full season. If that happens, I may never leave the house again."

Read the full article (http://www.lunchboxing.com/feat_fazio1.shtml).

Rick Diesel
12-14-2004, 03:00 PM
My vote would definitely be for Baseball Stars, simply for the fact that when I was between the ages of 8-12, EVERY SINGLE kid that I knew had Baseball Stars and did nothing but play it. They pure idea (winning gives you money, which you can then put into your players to make them better) was years ahead of its time.

Also, the original Nintendo probably was home to 8 of the top 10 games on my list.

Rick Diesel
12-14-2004, 03:02 PM
I am also partial to Hot Shots Golf, but that is mostly due to the fact that I probably won over $1,000 playing drunken skins games during college.

R.D.

Joe Tall
12-14-2004, 03:02 PM
Are you talking about Baseball Stars?

Yes, that's the one, it's been 10 years, I forget.

Peace,
Joe Tall

DCJ311
12-14-2004, 03:23 PM
River City Ransom (for NES)

Link (http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/rcr.htm)

wayabvpar
12-14-2004, 04:07 PM
The original Sid Meier's Pirates! (the 'sequel' is pretty freakin' good too, but it mostly a rehashing of the old game mechanics). Also- Ultima IV, Civilization II, and X-Com deserve some love.

IggyWH
12-14-2004, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Peace,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

Little League World Series was better than both!

wonderwes
12-14-2004, 06:08 PM
Best of all time? Is this 1 player or 2 player?

I would have to put Tetris on top of the list. Watch the show Icons on Tetris on g4tv to get a good idea why.

Now these are truely are opinion based
Best sports game: NBA Street 2 (and upcoming street3)
Most addictive game: SSX3
Old game that is still good and still hard: Galaga. current high score at: 256,000
Best 2 player game: Mortal Kombat II; SF2 and Killer Instinct both are 2nd and 3rd place.
Best overall game: both SNES titles, Link to the past, and Super Metroid

Does anyone remember the old hit Smash TV? I love playing that on the midwayarcade classics2.

One of the more frustrating games for me has been Burnout3.

Duke
12-14-2004, 06:13 PM
Best platform game: Revenge of Shinobi for Genesis.
Best "sports" game: Any SSX.
Best rpg: Fallout.
Best Puzzle Game: Tetris.
Best FPS: Quake 1, DM6 and DM4.

~D

DeezNuts
12-14-2004, 07:04 PM
Console: Mariokart(N64), NBA on NBC(Dreamcast), Bond: Goldeneye(N64)

PC: Starcraft(nothing close to 2nd)

Arcade: Street Fighter(Hyper Fighting), X-Men vs. Street Fighter

All games are multiplayer versions, 2-8 players. Any games you play solely vs. a computer shouldn't even be considered, due to the replayable factor.

DN

AngryCola
12-14-2004, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PC: Starcraft(nothing close to 2nd)

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? I'm a huge Starcraft fan, but I wouldn't say that at all. It's in the top 10 PC games ever made, but not number 1 with nothing else being close.

I say that after spending at least a year of my life doing nothing but playing Starcraft and playing with high school girls. Good times... but it's not the greatest.

For me, it's Half-Life. There were so many aspects of that game that were really revolutionary. The "Half-Life" effect can be seen in most of the action games being put out today.

Richie Rich
12-14-2004, 07:13 PM
Message to Nintendo: Bring back RBI, pretty please.

rickthekeg
12-14-2004, 07:14 PM

Ogre
12-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Halo 1
Shinning Force II

Mano
12-14-2004, 07:23 PM
Tetris.

cnfuzzd
12-14-2004, 07:36 PM
Best arcade game would easily be Galaga. althoguh elevator action is a close second, due primarily to the "music"

New arcade games suck

peace

john nickle

Dynasty
12-14-2004, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
New arcade games suck

[/ QUOTE ]

I went into GameWorks on the Strip yesterday and a very large % of their games were racing game where you would sit on a motorcycle, car, horse, etc. None of those games had any appeal to me.

I remember I lost interest in arcades in the early '90's when almost everything new seemed to be 1-on-1 martial arts fighting (Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, etc.).

PhatTBoll
12-14-2004, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Best arcade game would easily be Galaga. althoguh elevator action is a close second, due primarily to the "music"

[/ QUOTE ]

Elevator Action was totally sweet. I used to play it all the time when I was a little kid at the pizza parlor where my brother worked.

Heavy Barrel was also kickass. Very underrated 2-player arcade game.

YourFoxyGrandma
12-14-2004, 07:55 PM
It's close, but I think Mario Tennis is a better game than Mario Kart. My n64 pick is a toss-up between Mario Tennis and Goldeneye.

deacsoft
12-14-2004, 08:02 PM
PC: Quake III Arena
NES: The already mentioned Tecmo Super Bowl and Baseball Stars are great picks.
Play Station: Tony Hawk 2
N64: Golden Eye and Mario Cart

They're mostly old school, but that's about when I got out of gaming.

DeezNuts
12-14-2004, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's close, but I think Mario Tennis is a better game than Mario Kart. My n64 pick is a toss-up between Mario Tennis and Goldeneye.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mariokart IS the greatest N64 game ever("Imma gonna win!" -Wario). Needs a few more basic tracks, though.

Goldeneye is great as a 4-player split-screen game during college(one-shot kills), me and my friends used to put up cardboard in between the screens so no one could find the others by looking at their screen.

I've heard Counterstrike is the new great thing, but I've pretty much stopped playing most video games since college(6+ yrs ago). Living in metro LA, I do see the caves of PC rooms with their throngs of emaciated teenagers hanging out, smoking, and drinking red bulls.

[ QUOTE ]
huh? I'm a huge Starcraft fan, but I wouldn't say that at all. .....For me, it's Half-Life.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I know is that they still have a lot of Starcraft tournies in Korea and there are still loads of people on Battle.net playing it(I wish we had the channel that televised those tournies, I would watch it). Do people still play Half-Life?

I should modify: although I think multiplayer video games are the greatest thing since sliced bread, I understand how TETRIS is commonly voted as the greatest video game of all time.

DN

YourFoxyGrandma
12-14-2004, 08:14 PM
Counter-strike is a game in the Half-life series. It's by far the most played online first person shooter.

DeezNuts
12-14-2004, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Counter-strike is a game in the Half-life series. It's by far the most played online first person shooter.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but my point is that Warcraft is in that series as well, but a lot of people are still playing SC LONG after it came out(over 7 years), even though it was WC III came out. CS and SC are completely different games(EVERYONE that likes 1st person shooter games raves about CS), though, so our discussion is basically meaningless.

DN

KJS
12-14-2004, 08:44 PM
I like new games too, but hold the old ones close to my heart.

FWIW, I rate Robotron much much higher than Galaga. My wife would agree with you though, she still spends about 10 hours a week playing Galaga.

KJS

YourFoxyGrandma
12-14-2004, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My wife would agree with you though, she still spends about 10 hours a week playing Galaga.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does she have a sister?

balkii
12-14-2004, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Halo 1
Shinning Force II

[/ QUOTE ]

Halo 1 is so not even close to being the best video game ever. Did you ever play it? 1 player sucked balls. Multiplayer was only good if you had your own server and could play without all those [censored] idiots in the banshees and the tanks. This has to be the lamest reponse.

Ogre
12-14-2004, 09:31 PM
People who have no idea what the game is about shouldn't try to bash it.

stabn
12-14-2004, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1 player sucked balls. Multiplayer was only good if you had your own server and could play without all those [censored] idiots in the banshees and the tanks. This has to be the lamest reponse.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you PC gaming morons always assume it's the PC version of the game that's being talked about? Halo 1 was xbox, Halo PC was the PC version. It even has that nice PC designation in the name so you can easily tell it apart.

KJS
12-14-2004, 09:35 PM
She has two, only one of them is single though. But she's 45.

KJS

ThaSaltCracka
12-14-2004, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1 player sucked balls. Multiplayer was only good if you had your own server and could play without all those [censored] idiots in the banshees and the tanks. This has to be the lamest reponse.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you PC gaming morons always assume it's the PC version of the game that's being talked about? Halo 1 was xbox, Halo PC was the PC version. It even has that nice PC designation in the name so you can easily tell it apart.

[/ QUOTE ]well yeah theres that, but also there is how completely wrong he is about what he said as well.

stabn
12-14-2004, 09:50 PM
Yah, there's that, but he wasn't even considering the correct game in the first place. The mulitplayer of halo PC played a lot different than Halo with the addition of banshees, flamethrowers, and that other weapon. Not to mention fuel rod warthogs. You are right that he was totally wrong about halo 1 as a whole though.

balkii
12-14-2004, 10:13 PM
How are the two games different? I played it on the xbox, looked the same to me.

and trust me, you'd get owned by me at halo "PC"

ThaSaltCracka
12-14-2004, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

How are the two games different?

[/ QUOTE ] see stabn's post.

balkii
12-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Why do you PC gaming morons....

yeah PC gaming moron exactly. Playing a first person shooter without a mouse is boring and stupid. Oh now I see...cant afford a nice video card. Well, have fun playing console games.

balkii
12-14-2004, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well if none of that [censored] was in the xbox version, that is quite the improvement. however, I stand by my orginal statement that its nomination for "Best video game ever" is ludicrous.

ThaSaltCracka
12-14-2004, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well if none of that [censored] was in the xbox version, that is quite the improvement. however, I stand by my orginal statement that its nomination for "Best video game ever" is ludicrous.

[/ QUOTE ]your stance is ludicrous.

as for being stupid because you don't want to buy the newer video cards, well I guess it is stupid to pay 200 for a system and 50 for a game. As opposed to having to pay 150-250 every 6 months for a new card and 50 for a new game . And yeah the mouse is better, but only because it makes it easier for idiots to play FPS.

Ogre
12-14-2004, 10:28 PM
Halo 1 (xbox) is the best game ever.
Now if you play CTF BG on PC with Banshees it is obviously not.

ThaSaltCracka
12-14-2004, 10:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Halo 1 (xbox) is the best game ever.

[/ QUOTE ]I disagree, but thats fine.

Rounder041
12-14-2004, 10:58 PM
Yeah, don't take shots at Halo if you do not know what you are saying. Halo 1 is the best game ever, multiplayer is in a league of its own.

Brian
12-15-2004, 12:30 AM
Guess there aren't many RPG fans in here. /images/graemlins/cool.gif My favorites are:

SNES: Final Fantasy 3 or ChronoTrigger
PC: StarCraft or EverQuest, both revolutionary in their own respects

I'll second the Shining Force II mention as well for Sega. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Brian

IndieMatty
12-15-2004, 12:32 AM
Haven't we all come to the conclusion the best game of all time is Tecmo Super Bowl.

Come on.

stabn
12-15-2004, 12:49 AM
I'm not a big enough nerd to post my computers stats after that bullshit, but i'm a big enough nerd to have you beg for forgiveness if i did.

astroglide
12-15-2004, 02:54 AM
i love fps games, and i hate cs (along with all other team/squad games)

Non_Comformist
12-15-2004, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tecmo Super Bowl

Peace,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

*DING DING DING* WE HAVE A WINNER!

It's not even close, Tecmo Super Bowl is EASILY the best game ever made.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is it's not even close to being close.

BusterStacks
12-15-2004, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]your stance is ludicrous.

as for being stupid because you don't want to buy the newer video cards, well I guess it is stupid to pay 200 for a system and 50 for a game. As opposed to having to pay 150-250 every 6 months for a new card and 50 for a new game . And yeah the mouse is better, but only because it makes it easier for idiots to play FPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this assumes you pay for your games. PC FPS's own xbox FPS's and it's not close. The mouse, by nature, allows more precise aiming and is thus the best way to play the game. BTW, Halo 1 for xbox was great, but best game ever? That's rediculous. It's clearly Street Fighter II.

Corey
12-15-2004, 03:35 AM
I'm gonna have to agree on Tecmo Super Bowl. It's a sad fact that my NES emulator it's the third most used program on my computer behind Firefox and Party. However, I will forever have arguments between my dorm buddies between the Bills, Raiders, and the 49ers.

I personally think the 49ers motion pass play (I think it's down+pass) is the most unstoppable weapon in the game. However, the Bills shotgun Hail Mary is effective if you can pick up on who is single covered with Andre Reed and James Lofton catching anything. And Bo Jackson is quite simply the best player on the game with the Raiders.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned SMB3. Sure, it's your standard NES game, but I find it has so much replay value that I can pick up a Gamepad 10 years later and play for hours. It's by far and away the best non-sports game I have EVER played.

Also, no NHLPA 93 or 94? You must be kidding me! That game got me interested in hockey! I can name the starting lineups from 93 for so many teams, it's ridiculous. My fav: 93/94 Vancouver Canucks:
Kick Mclain | Jyrki Lumme, Gerald Diduck | Geoff Courtnall, Cliff Ronning, Trevor Linden
Add so many good players on your SC2 and Checking lines like Pavel Bure, Greg Adams, and Segio Momesso. Forget the Red Wings, Rangers, and Kings...the Canucks are the way to go if you play with line changes!

Of course, now hockey rates behind Major League Soccer and tied with Arena Football in my book. How sad a state the NHL is in.

Between NES, you have 4 of the best games of all time: Zelda, Tecmo Super Bowl, Tetris, and SMB3. In my opnion, add Tony Hawk 2 (there's a reason my computer's network name is Kareem Campbell) and Counterstrike and you have my top 6 games right there.

dr. klopek
12-15-2004, 05:32 AM
First of all, Halo 1, as a single-player game on any platform: gay. Console FPS: gay. This claim that it is the best game ever is extraordinarily gay.

And if it was gonna be a sports game it'd be Blades of Steel.

AngryCola
12-15-2004, 05:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I have to disagree. But I must say, I loved blades of steel. My friends and I played the hell out of that game.

brassnuts
12-15-2004, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Dude, SNK All-Star Baseball was way better

[/ QUOTE ]
Hells yeah.
http://consolemedia.gameworldnetwork.com/boxshots/nes/3848.jpg

Baseball Stars sucked up endless hours upon hours upon hours of my childhood. I used to create a team, put everything into one player, then trade him to my main team.

brassnuts
12-15-2004, 05:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do people still play CS? I remember when I thought the game was dying like 3 years ago.

God, Counter-Srike... probably a good 1000 hours of my life wasted. Literally.

BusterStacks
12-15-2004, 06:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, Halo 1, as a single-player game on any platform: gay. Console FPS: gay. This claim that it is the best game ever is extraordinarily gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um... Have you even played Halo 1 past the first level? Or even the first level? The game was excellent! Best game ever though, no way.

Sheriff Fatman
12-15-2004, 06:50 AM
As basic as it looks nowadays, Elite has to be the best game of all-time. It was so far ahead of its time when released its untrue.

The scary thing is that I lost many hours of my childhood to a game which probably takes up less memory than this message!

Sheriff

darvon
12-17-2004, 11:12 PM
Can you tell me what elite is?

I think the best video game ever was "DazzleDarts". However I would be shocked if anyone has ever heard of it.

Cyrus
12-18-2004, 09:10 AM
Some of the Amiga 500 or Amiga 1200 games would wipe the floor with today's games.

<font color="white"> . </font>